Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Truck cap/topper/camper shell thread

Danny

Reaction score
Wow. I’m going to continue to have faith in my installer and just pretend I didn’t read this thread.

I already decided I wouldn’t let them touch the wiring... wondering now if I should get my $150 installation money back and just pick it up on a pallet
If you have a never ram I think maybe just the new body style when you unhook they battery (instruction always tell you to. I don’t) it will take your cameras about a hr or longer before they start working again after you hook power back up.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Wow. I’m going to continue to have faith in my installer and just pretend I didn’t read this thread.

I already decided I wouldn’t let them touch the wiring... wondering now if I should get my $150 installation money back and just pick it up on a pallet.

I, in no way, blame the installer... they did the best they could.
ARE makes a claim and sadly fail to live up to the claim.
I still think it is a better product than LEER...

Danny

Reaction score
ARE told me I had to go back to the installer and have them do a leak test and make a video and they would decide if it needs to be sent back to the factory or not. I told the woman at ARE if I go back for them to make a video they can have the $4k piece of .... back.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I guess I got lucky with my ARE. If I hit the corners just right at the car wash a little comes in by the door, but otherwise it keeps the water out. Much better than the Snugtop I had on my 2016.

AnywhereInTX

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. Currently have a Gator tri-fold soft cover on the truck. Love it, but with dogs and a kid on the way I needed more useable room for the pups...so a camper shell was the natural progression.

I was torn between two choices for my Power Wagon & price isn't necessarily the major driving force. I looked at fiberglass covers and based upon feedback here...I was really only comfortable with SnugTop. But with no snugtop dealer within 5 hours and a $3200+ pricetag...I wasn't willing to make a drive/install/potential hotel just for it.

It really came down to two tops at that point. First being the soft topper which appears to be really popular. I like the convertible like features, ease of installation, and price point. But I really dislike its security and ability to host my two dogs on road trips/camping.

Ultimately, I chose an RSI Smartcap Evo. Should be here in a week or so and I can't wait. I really liked the static/dynamic load ratings, pop up everything, & ability to use my cargo camera still. Dislike the fact that you can't unlock the cap from the inside...but I sleep primarily in my RTT/trailer combo.

Love reading about your caps and experiences though!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. Currently have a Gator tri-fold soft cover on the truck. Love it, but with dogs and a kid on the way I needed more useable room for the pups...so a camper shell was the natural progression.

I was torn between two choices for my Power Wagon & price isn't necessarily the major driving force. I looked at fiberglass covers and based upon feedback here...I was really only comfortable with SnugTop. But with no snugtop dealer within 5 hours and a $3200+ pricetag...I wasn't willing to make a drive/install/potential hotel just for it.

It really came down to two tops at that point. First being the soft topper which appears to be really popular. I like the convertible like features, ease of installation, and price point. But I really dislike its security and ability to host my two dogs on road trips/camping.

Ultimately, I chose an RSI Smartcap Evo. Should be here in a week or so and I can't wait. I really liked the static/dynamic load ratings, pop up everything, & ability to use my cargo camera still. Dislike the fact that you can't unlock the cap from the inside...but I sleep primarily in my RTT/trailer combo.

Love reading about your caps and experiences though!
Congrats on the kiddo.

Post pics when it comes it....I mean the topper not the kiddo

Phil T

Reaction score
I had never heard of this cap before today and was impressed by it when I looked it up. Unfortunately for me, they don't make one for a real truck with the 8' bed. Back to the drawing board.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AnywhereInTX

Reaction score
Congrats on the kiddo.

Post pics when it comes it....I mean the topper not the kiddo
Thanks. Will do once it comes in and I get it installed. The price tag was painful, but using PayPals 6 month no interest credit made it easier to swallow.
I had never heard of this cap before today and was impressed by it when I looked it up. Unfortunately for me, they don't make one for a real truck with the 8' bed. Back to the drawing board.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It's fairly new for the 2500...like DEC 2020 new. They roll out options slowly, but if you ping RSI USA quite a bit they may design something. Funny is I think my 6.4 bed is large compared to the 1500 short bed I used to run.

AnywhereInTX

Reaction score
Wish they were around last year when I was looking for a cap...
I was waiting on them. I liked another company (RLD) but their topper didn't match up to the truck as well as I thought.

Unfortunate part is the US distributor is waiting on another container ship with the next load of Ram 2500 SmartCaps. So, I'll have to wait until April/May for it to come in from South Africa. Oh well, I would be waiting this long on a fiberglass one too.

Smittydog27

Reaction score
I bought a softopper. Best choice for me. I bumper pull my 30’ camper so I can stuff any additional gear in the ‘covered’ truck bed. I also have one gooseneck dump trailer and one 5th wheel trailer. With the softopper, I can remove or move it forward as needed. No struggle. Also have dogs, but they ride in the rear seat, but wouldn’t hesitate to put them in the bed with the softopper on.

MSundet

Reaction score
Ranch is a good fit, it fits the cargo camera and the truck very nicely, I’m very impressed!! RANCH Fusion I said this in a different part of the form but I wanted frameless glass but could not wait due to a over the road trip that I needed the topper for. Overall I’m very happy with this, it’s carpeted with lights on the inside I ended up putting pay protection film across the back lower part of the glass that goes over the tailgate and I tinting all the glass to match the rest of the truck that I have done.

ae451305ebf38a6bb0a57c1cc7d43c6b.jpg

c4731d89391a6445240bac13b7284d4a.jpg

1d574e15d5aac51de6cea1822174b4dd.jpg

95ea7110961bef6476258b15350a418f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcspeed

Reaction score
Does RSI offer paint natch for Smartcap? I see images on line in diff colors but website shows no options.

MSundet

Reaction score
Does RSI offer paint natch for Smartcap? I see images on line in diff colors but website shows no options.

They will paint match or I brought it to a body shop that offers luxury autos only

Users who are viewing this thread