Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 6.7L Question - New User

Vengeance

Reaction score
I was a 2003 Duramax owner, currently a 16yr Powerstroke owner (2006 F250), and I am looking at a 2019 Ram 2500 Diesel. I know each brand has a loyal following and the love hate relationship lol...like being married I guess. Anyhow I am looking for some advice from those folks (you) whom our current owners.

The vehicle I am looking at has 29K on it mileage, 4" lift, looks stock in the engine compartment, it is a Laramie, and 4x4 for 70K. What do I need to be aware of with this truck? Is 2019 a good year? If not what are the "Bad" years and "Good"? I have been reading a bunch on the DEF/DPF stuff but I do believe they all are having issues. I am just trying to make sure I do my homework before I sign my life away. I don't tow heavy like I used to which would point you to gas but I am hooked on Diesel. I will say I am shocked so many low mileage units are out there (under 50k). Makes me wonder I they running for the hills? Just lease returns? or normal in the current climate.

Thanks
V

MEGA HO

Reaction score
19-20s have CP4 HP fuel pump, there is currently a recall to replace CP4 with a CP3.3. For whatever reason they started replacing pumps on 20s and 19s are awaiting a go'head from RAM.
There isn't really anything wrong or anything to worry about with trucks when they reach 50K miles

BikePilot

Reaction score
They are good trucks. Other than the cp4 and emissions stuff about the only other common fault I've seen are transmissions. It's probably a bit weaker in that department than Ford or Chevy. Jumping up to the 3500 makes the Asian an option and while slower shifting they seem to fail less frequently.

jebruns

Reaction score
I also owned a Dmax (new 01) and a powerstroke (new 03), and now own the Cummins. It's a different experience. The V8 diesels rev a little faster and farther, more like a gas motor. But they don't pull any better. They all pull great. But if you're into stop light racing, the others may offer some advantage. I'm very light on the gas pedal, so that did not enter the equation for me.

I'd be a leary of a lifted truck personally. That always says to me that the truck was probably driven harder than I'd like to see my trucks driven. Seems like when I see HD trucks racing stop light to stop light, they are always lifted one. Not trying to insult anyones truck here, just my personal opinion.

I think the reason you are seeing so many low mileage ones is folks are finding their trucks worth more than they paid for them, and trading up while that market exists.

Best of luck with your decision.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Another vote for avoiding a 4" lifted truck. When you start getting above just a ~2" level kit it invites all kinds of handling issues and headaches. And I agree, those trucks are more likely to have been owned by a 20 something that is driving it like an idiot. Not always of course but the chances are higher.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal i would not be concerned and nothing wrong with a lifted truck.

Jacob

Reaction score
The ac isn't the greatest on the 19s. I haven't had much trouble with my truck.
2006 Ford since new? Wow.

Randyhut

Reaction score
IF you haven't already made a decision! I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE and bought a 2019 Ram -- I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND BUYING ONE! READ my posts! Truck runs like crap just when you need it most! They can't fix it, been in the dealer more than at my house since April 2022! They are now waiting on an EGR Valve. I had a 1995 Ram 2500 Cummins 5.9 -- 300k NO Issues! - That was a DIFFERENT CUMMINS! If they don't get it fixed this time, I will be trading it on something different!

RUN!!!!!!

Last edited:

thecastle

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s the problem with diesel no adays. It’s hit or miss on reliability. Personally I wouldn’t buy one unless you are a diesel enthusiast, can make money with it, or have a towing situation that requires it. I can say personally, I would never buy a truck with any of the following, after market bumpers, gauge pod on the a pillar, lifted, or low profile tires and after market rims, or if it’s been deleted. Deleted means tuned, and tuned means shorter life span. Some see that as a plus. But I wouldn’t pay extra for it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Find a different dealer they clearly are not capable of fixing it

Randyhut

Reaction score
Does Ram have any equipment that could be installed in my truck that could monitor & record the sensors and data of my truck while i drive it? The dealer tells me that the tech has been able to duplicate my problem a couple of times but it only lasts for 15 or so seconds, STAR wants them to get it to do it all the time - WHICH IT WON'T DO. The most i have had it do it was for about 5 minutes and then when you let completely off the diesel peddle it will stop and may not do it again for miles. When i pull my trailer it seems to do it a bit more often, IF i could get them some data it might help them. I want it fixed but they can't seem to do it.
I am about at the end of my patience with the approach they are taking.

Randyhut

Reaction score
Let me be more clear, does RAM have any data monitoring equipment? I shouldn't have to buy equipment to find issues with a truck with just 30k miles that is still under warranty.

werard

Reaction score
Let me be more clear, does RAM have any data monitoring equipment? I shouldn't have to buy equipment to find issues with a truck with just 30k miles that is still under warranty.
I'm sure RAM does, most likely dealer only. Highly doubt any dealer would lend it out. Could get a wireless/bluetooth OBDII that can log to an app or laptop yourself.

thecastle

Reaction score
Does Ram have any equipment that could be installed in my truck that could monitor & record the sensors and data of my truck while i drive it? The dealer tells me that the tech has been able to duplicate my problem a couple of times but it only lasts for 15 or so seconds, STAR wants them to get it to do it all the time - WHICH IT WON'T DO. The most i have had it do it was for about 5 minutes and then when you let completely off the diesel peddle it will stop and may not do it again for miles. When i pull my trailer it seems to do it a bit more often, IF i could get them some data it might help them. I want it fixed but they can't seem to do it.
I am about at the end of my patience with the approach they are taking.

What is your truck doing? If the Tech has been able to duplicate the problem, what is their rationale for not investigating and attempting a repair? Most crappy dealers begin throwing parts at a problem at this stage. I can't speak for RAM, but most dealers have different levels of techs. I'd request for their master tech (or the dealers terminology) to take a look at your vehicle. The final suggestion is that most manufacturers have field engineers/master techs they can send to a dealer to help diagnose the issue. This will probably require a conversation with the shop manager since you service advisor is either lazy, incompetent or both.

Randyhut

Reaction score
I don't think that the dealer is the problem. I think that they are trying to fix it, keep in mind that it hasn't set a cel and only usually misses for a minute or so. And the minute you let off the go peddle it will go back to running ok.
The diesel tech has experienced the issue as well as the SM. Finding the cause, has been troublesome.
Imagine driving your truck for three days, running perfectly, then you run up on someone going 45, you slow down to wait for an oncoming car to clear, step on the go peddle to pass and the engine cuts out, spits sputters and won't go, you ease off the peddle and push it again in a few seconds and all is well. Then it is two days or a week before it does it again.

Users who are viewing this thread