Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 3500 Crew Dually 4x2 with 6.4L Gas

gregt23

Reaction score
My father just purchased a new 2019 Ram 3500 Crew Dually. This Ram is a Two-Wheel-Drive with the 6.4L Gas engine. When pulling a trailer, the front end of the Ram seems to have a lot of play (pulling empty or loaded 24' car trailer). This starts to happen at 60mph and is very slight, once it gets 70mph or over, it is extremely annoying. Enough to where I would not want to take the truck on a long trip while pulling a trailer - it would be a fight on a longer trip. Honestly, the Ram drives like it needs more weight on the front end. It does have the Load Leveling rear suspension and the truck and trailer sit level, but the front end feels like it is all over the road. A driver definitely has to pay close attention to keep the truck going straight down the road. It has this issue on any road.
The tires have been upgraded to a 10 ply but everything else is original equipment - this issue happened with the OE tires also. So my question is: Does anyone make a steering stabilizer or heavier track bar for a new 2019 Ram 3500 4x2? There's plenty of upgrades for a 4x4, but nothing I can find for a 4x2.
Thank you in advance for any assistance or recommendations that anyone on this Forum may have. I hope there is enough information here, if not, please send any questions and I will try and answer as soon as possible.

Don-T

Reaction score
Has the truck been across scales both empty and loaded? It sounds like weight is being taken off the front when the trailer is attached.

D

Deleted member 80

Assuming this is a tag-along trailer? You need to scale the trailer empty and loaded, and determine the hitch weight %. If it is too low, effectively tail heavy, it will try to steer the truck. Have you pulled this trailer with before with the identical load arrangement? Also, and this is a longshot, my friend started having this issue with a toy hauler, and discover the frame was cracked near the shackle mounts, allowing it to "wag". Also, there was an RRT Bulletin issued to reflash the air suspension control. Maybe your truck needs this performed??

I can tell you my gooseneck toy hauler puts almost 4,800 pounds on the hitch, and it does not make my truck the least bit squirrely. BUT, I will also say with the different wheel track front to rear my truck does tend to be influenced by pavement that is wavy, i.e. ripples parralell to direction of travel.

gregt23

Reaction score
Has the truck been across scales both empty and loaded? It sounds like weight is being taken off the front when the trailer is attached.
Thank you for the question. It has never been across any scales to determine any weight issues when the trailer is attached. With the trailer (dual axle enclosed car trailer) everything sits level. It appears the rear load leveling suspension has everything sitting just the way it should. I will try to determine if the front end weight is different with the trailer attached. Thanks again for your reply.

gregt23

Reaction score
Assuming this is a tag-along trailer? You need to scale the trailer empty and loaded, and determine the hitch weight %. If it is too low, effectively tail heavy, it will try to steer the truck. Have you pulled this trailer with before with the identical load arrangement? Also, and this is a longshot, my friend started having this issue with a toy hauler, and discover the frame was cracked near the shackle mounts, allowing it to "wag". Also, there was an RRT Bulletin issued to reflash the air suspension control. Maybe your truck needs this performed??

I can tell you my gooseneck toy hauler puts almost 4,800 pounds on the hitch, and it does not make my truck the least bit squirrely. BUT, I will also say with the different wheel track front to rear my truck does tend to be influenced by pavement that is wavy, i.e. ripples parralell to direction of travel.
I believe this is part of the issue - both the car trailer (attached to the Class V receiver) and the Ram are brand new. Having never pulled anything else with this Ram, it is difficult to compare it with anything else. We are going to pull this trailer with other Rams to see how they do (being the GM of an FCA store I have access to a few other Rams if needed. lol). I want to also use my fathers Ram and pull a different trailer of similar weight and size to try and help determine if this is a Trailer issue or a Truck issue. I will double check for any RRT's or Bulletins.
Thank you for taking the time to reply with these suggestions, I do appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread