Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 2500 6.7L P0299 Code

T-Rob

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum and joined specifically to find out more about this PO299 issue. I have a 2020 dually 3500 with 16k miles on it and the truck is back in the shop for the 5th time regarding this issue. So far they've done the air filter replacement which I find funny since the truck was fine w/ aftermarket filters for 2yrs, but whatever. They've done the reflash several times, replaced a supposedly cracked EGR cooler, replaced a torn gasket (probably their doing in the first place from one of the other visits), and now even replaced the turbo itself and of course.......still not fixed. Just really disappointing and SUCH a complete waste of my time going back and forth to the dealership. Was going to try a different dealership, but after reading through all this it doesn't sound like that would do much good since once this deal pops up, sounds like you're stuck with it for the most part.

SRBSpeed

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum and joined specifically to find out more about this PO299 issue. I have a 2020 dually 3500 with 16k miles on it and the truck is back in the shop for the 5th time regarding this issue. So far they've done the air filter replacement which I find funny since the truck was fine w/ aftermarket filters for 2yrs, but whatever. They've done the reflash several times, replaced a supposedly cracked EGR cooler, replaced a torn gasket (probably their doing in the first place from one of the other visits), and now even replaced the turbo itself and of course.......still not fixed. Just really disappointing and SUCH a complete waste of my time going back and forth to the dealership. Was going to try a different dealership, but after reading through all this it doesn't sound like that would do much good since once this deal pops up, sounds like you're stuck with it for the most part.
Check for a boost leak on the intercooler cold side outlet boot. The wiring harness that runs nearby had rubbed a pin hole in it and caused the P0299 for me. Beat my head against the wall for months with this issue and then the dealer caught the leak.

T-Rob

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Since my truck is STILL at the dealership I’ll have them take a look.

Norrisj

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 2019 Ram 3500 (1000 ft lb version of the 6.7). After having it in several times the mechanic pointed out the after market replacement air filter I had used when I put in a new one in. Told me the new engine is picky; use the OEM Mopar air filter (which you have to get at the dealer). This seemed crazy to me but did it anyhow. The next day the engine light turned off and I haven't seen it since then. As to leaving it at the dealer, I kept driving mine with the code. As long as the dash gauge showed I had boost pressure I knew the turbo was working fine.
Did anybody ever say if it hurts anything if it’s on just because of a different filter I just put s&b cold air on my 22 nxt day that little annoying yellow light we all hate appeared

Domal88

Reaction score
myself. there's very little on these trucks that can't be diag'd & worked on by a non dealer network. I've been building cars for years, so that experience and skill does go a long way. if I were not in my position, I'd find a competent independent diesel shop for any needs that arose, and not purchase any type of extended warranty.
Agreed I've been daily driving a 95 12v 2nd Gen for 6 years finally took the plunge and got me a 2019 2500 HD Lhorn it will never see the dealer. It's our 12th Ram between me and my son . Anything is doable give yourself more credit and get in there. You guys here are so Knowledgeable im surprised there is so much dealer dependance. I understand most of u are on a brand new truck 80k plus and are trying to get what u deserve for that kind of money. I don't blame u. But it seems like these dealers have no clue what they're doing. To say a filter brand is affecting a system is nutz what can the computer smell the different media. Or can it sense the .003 micron difference. I feel terrible for u guys that's a ton of money You should have received the absolute Best there is for that. All these Manufacturers should be ashamed but even they have become profiteers and quality is about 15th on the list. That's obvious as I compare SxS my 95 and the new to me 2019 this new truck will never last 27 years maybe 7 here in New England that's a long shot. I still haven't sold off Big Black yet and by the look of things here I may be selling the new truck instead.. its too bad I really was enjoying an automatic tranny a dry cab and not regluing my uppers after every ride. Looks like I better stock up on the fixodent again.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Agreed I've been daily driving a 95 12v 2nd Gen for 6 years finally took the plunge and got me a 2019 2500 HD Lhorn it will never see the dealer. It's our 12th Ram between me and my son . Anything is doable give yourself more credit and get in there. You guys here are so Knowledgeable im surprised there is so much dealer dependance. I understand most of u are on a brand new truck 80k plus and are trying to get what u deserve for that kind of money. I don't blame u. But it seems like these dealers have no clue what they're doing. To say a filter brand is affecting a system is nutz what can the computer smell the different media. Or can it sense the .003 micron difference. I feel terrible for u guys that's a ton of money You should have received the absolute Best there is for that. All these Manufacturers should be ashamed but even they have become profiteers and quality is about 15th on the list. That's obvious as I compare SxS my 95 and the new to me 2019 this new truck will never last 27 years maybe 7 here in New England that's a long shot. I still haven't sold off Big Black yet and by the look of things here I may be selling the new truck instead.. its too bad I really was enjoying an automatic tranny a dry cab and not regluing my uppers after every ride. Looks like I better stock up on the fixodent again.

Hahahaha great post. Love it.

Best of luck on the new truck good sir. Dont get rid of that 95!

Domal88

Reaction score
Hahahaha great post. Love it.

Best of luck on the new truck good sir. Dont get rid of that 95!
I'd love to keep it but I need room it's a beauty too all synergy up front south bend clutch s&b intake red head steering box borgeson shaft all new springs floors and yes cab mounts. Of course KDP is done all alum big tank rad. All silicone hoses etc etc. I've touched It all. Dash is a mess of course. But it's getting around 22 mpg. Cold starts easy. It's a 97 motor. It will be missed

Attachments

• 20240302_132848.jpg
    20240302_132848.jpg
    673.4 KB · Views: 8

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I'd love to keep it but I need room it's a beauty too all synergy up front south bend clutch s&b intake red head steering box borgeson shaft all new springs floors and yes cab mounts. Of course KDP is done all alum big tank rad. All silicone hoses etc etc. I've touched It all. Dash is a mess of course. But it's getting around 22 mpg. Cold starts easy. It's a 97 motor. It will be missed

Shame youre so far away. I'd have to make you an offer you couldnt refuse so yours could sit nicely next to mine.

IMG_5857.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread