Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019+ Powered Running Boards on a 2012

bigontheblue

Reaction score
Hey all - first of all, this was not written with AI, these words are my genuine, human derived words from a flawed thought process.

My latest project is on a 2012 3500 Mega. I found some 2019+ powered running boards (OEM-RAM) from a mega and they fit. Mechanically there are no issues, they bolt right up. One thing that was odd with this pair was that they were identical, meaning not a left and right. Depending on where I locate the controller, I may swap them to save me some wire. I have no problems building a custom harness (it's only time and money).

So here are my issues:
I don't have a PSSM #68367399ae (2019+) - and there isn't a PSSM for a 2012. At least not that I can find - please correct me if I'm wrong ( I need YOU!).

I can buy the PSSM but that's not the totality of the solution. FWIW, I don't care if I can control all this with UConnect through the radio etc. I literally just need them to deploy and retract when the doors open, and having an LED light option is a bonus. Here's why I think I need the CAN for that - the PSSM has no idea what door or what side has an open door, hence the CAN sends a signal onto pin 7 or 8 (of the PSSM), to say that one of the driver's side doors is open or if one of the passenger side doors is open. In my old Ram, I had trigger wires that simply went to ground when one of the doors was open. There were four trigger wires that were spliced into two and those two went to the controller (drivers or passenger) that told the controller if there was a door open on a particular side and therefore needed to deploy or retract the step).

First REAL question - what does the CAN output on connector C8 pins 1 and 2 when the doors are open or closed? Is it positive, negative or shunt/null/ground? I'm assuming of course that it's analog. Are those pins only activated when the truck is re-programmed to have a powered running board (meaning do I need the dealer or a programmer for certain in order for those pins to even be activated?)? Obviously the CAN gets a signal from the doors, what wires are those? I can intercept those wires and go directly to the PSSM if I know what signal is on those wires (Pos, Neg, shunt/ground/null), and this eliminates the need for dealer programming. I just need to know what those wires are (where I'll find them) and what signal they carry.

Second REAL question - The PSSM outputs 5 connections (wires) to each motor and the motor wiring has 5 conductors. The PSSM is pretty smart, it senses if it can't deploy and it also senses if it can't retract, it then reverses power to the motor for like 3-5 attempts and then cuts the power to the motor if these conditions exist to prevent damage to hardware and electronics. My question is this, can I make them dumb? Meaning... that I'd like to introduce deployment power for 4-5 seconds and retraction power for 4-5 seconds. If there's something in the way then that's going to be an insurance claim ;). OK here's my thought process.... If I supply 12V on Pin 1 of the motor it should deploy, If I supply 12V on Pin 3 of the motor it should retract. Pins 4, 5 & 6 (of the motors) are for sensing and don't affect deployment or retraction unless there is an issue (over amperage detected in the PSSM) with the motor or a step obstruction.

Third REAL question - I really don't want buy a PSSM (sometimes I'm a cheap #$%^). I have an AMP Research controller that is capable of sensing when a door is open and is capable of supplying 12V to the appropriate motor (assuming I wired it to right side). It is also capable of giving me power for LED lights on the side or sides that the running board is deployed. AMP running board motors run on 2 wires (not 5), one for deploy and one for retract. Intercepting the "door open" signal prior to the CAN might be able to go directly to the AMP controller (maybe need to build a polarity switch or ground detect circuit).

I've scoured the internet, used AI to scour the internet and I still don't have the answers I need. Calling Dodge is like extracting my eye with a spoon, calling AMP is like stabbing it with a fork prior to extraction. I don't suppose that anyone has done this but getting answers to my questions will ultimately help others - we are all solving the energy crisis one gallon at a time!

How can you help!?:
Follow this thread - (however you do that)
Answer questions backed with data and references
Think outside the box and help me solve this - collectively we are infinitely smart

CheerZ
Dash

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
How can you help!?
In a nutshell, I’ll save you from a lot of overthinking- just install a set of AMPs on your truck.
You can’t use a PSSM on your 2012 because it has a different canbus architecture than 2013-2023 rams, and wouldn’t have any idea how to communicate on the bus on your truck.

bigontheblue

Reaction score
In a nutshell, I’ll save you from a lot of overthinking- just install a set of AMPs on your truck.
You can’t use a PSSM on your 2012 because it has a different canbus architecture than 2013-2023 rams, and wouldn’t have any idea how to communicate on the bus on your truck.
TY SIR! Dropping $1600 on steps just isn't in the cards RN. I'll tinker a bit more. I actually don't need it to communicate on the bus - I'm fine with it being independent. I just need open door signals from somewhere. I found them in the Door Lock Circuit, but what I really need is the expected input/output from Pins 1&2 on C8. If those two pins are the only way that the PSSM communicates with the CAN then this should be really simple - said the guy who can't find his keys walking out the door for work.

CheerZ

Aries2500

Reaction score
TY SIR! Dropping $1600 on steps just isn't in the cards RN. I'll tinker a bit more. I actually don't need it to communicate on the bus - I'm fine with it being independent. I just need open door signals from somewhere. I found them in the Door Lock Circuit, but what I really need is the expected input/output from Pins 1&2 on C8. If those two pins are the only way that the PSSM communicates with the CAN then this should be really simple - said the guy who can't find his keys walking out the door for work.

CheerZ
I haven't tried and am not suggesting that you be the guinea pig but maybe the action track installation kit has what you need. I installed the Aries Action Track powered running boards and the install kit is available separately. Used it with magnetic sensors mounted on the jams and it has been nearly flawless. Custom Mounting Kit for Aries ActionTrac Motorized Running Boards

bigontheblue

Reaction score
Thanks for the read and reply @Aries2500. The install kit you linked doesn't fit my 2012 3500 Mega. I didn't find a similar kit that would actually fit my truck but it will likely only be a difference in wire length. I'm not sure if that controller gets me any closer to a solution. Did you use that kit on the Action Track PSS's?

I have two PSS's - I have the AMP Research steps with a controller from my 2004 1500 (but I need mounting hardware) and I have the OEM PSS's from a 2019 3500 but no controller (I like the OEM side steps way better). My 2012 didn't have a PSS option so any installation is going to be custom. The 2019 OEM PSS's bolt right up to my 2012. My original thought was to use the AMP Research controller on the OEM PSS's but the AMP motors are 2 wire and the OEM motors are 5 conductor. My next best option is to get an OEM PSSM module and make a custom harness for the OEM steps.

Your suggestion got me thinking though and that's usually dangerous, but sometimes could lead to the answer. The magnetic sensor in the Aries kit is likely a reed switch which closes (allowing electric flow) when the magnet is near.

The AMP Research controller is monitoring the drivers side and passenger side "door open" signals. What I don't know (and haven't checked) is - if a door is open does it cause the signal to go to ground or does it cause an "open" on the wire? That should be easy to check but still doesn't solve my PSSM issue. The OEM PSSM communicates with the CAN using only two wires. One is going to be for the drivers side and one for the passenger side. I would like to assume that the PSSM is monitoring those wires to see if one or both either become open or closed (go to ground). If I can know what those two wires do, I'm golden.

I can bench test all of this and test the two assumptions that the CAN outputs are open when the door is open and closed when the door is closed (or the other way around). It would be really helpful though if someone has already figured that out or knows about the CAN and PSSM.

The two unknown wires come from the STAR CAN IHS C8 (pins 1 (Violet) & 2 (White)) and they feed the PSSM C2 on Pins 8 and 7 respectively - Many thanks to @Jimmy07 for the PSS wiring diagram. I can intercept the "Door Ajar" signals on their way into the TIPM (Drivers Front = Violet, Divers Rear = Violet/Grey, Passenger Front = Violet/White, Passenger Rear = Violet/Yellow) just like the AMP Research Controller does.

I've got a zillion things to do so this bench test research will be a slow, as I get to it project. In the mean time, I have to help boost my wife into the truck.

CheerZ

Users who are viewing this thread