Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019+ Power Wagon gear availability

JM15

Reaction score
So I have been waiting for gears to come out so I can start phase 2 if my PW build and I called Nitro gear about 2 months ago about the timeline. He said there should be something for the 2019+ Ram 2500/3500 trucks “soon” and if I remember correctly probably by summer 2022. I asked him what gears were going to be available as I have a PW and he said “if“ they can get the gears made there will be all ratios available up and into the 5.13/5.38. He said “something in the 5s” But did mention 5.13. Then last week I saw an AEV post on Facebook (don’t remember the date of their post) on one of their Prospector XL trucks that the 2018 and older gear sets still work on the power wagon axles. This was a 2019+ power wagon Prospector XL. Can anyone verify the claim on those gears fitting? I feel like Nitro would have known this And I specified multiple times I have a 2021 PW. I will see if I can search out the AEV post again as I don’t have Facebook. Any help would be appreciated.

JM15

Reaction score
I don’t doubt it, I would just think that Nitro gear would know the same information. I’ll try on Monday to call but have heard not great things about getting a response or time from them unless you tell them you are going to buy a full build from them. This is no way me bad mouthing them, I want an AEV PXL just can’t justify it.

JM15

Reaction score
Sunday bump! No one out there has revealed their 2019+ power wagons yet? I’m thinking 37/38s and 4.88s would make this thing a rocket ship and help when lightly towing. I’ll pay for solid advice in beer!

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Lol I don't trust AEV when they say it fits 2019+ Power Wagons and it's from experience.

I thought I remember reading that the AAM themselves confirmed it uses a different ring and pinion.

jadmt

Reaction score
AEV is apparently working on a new Power Wagon now doing the gears. Sounds like there may be some machining involved..

JM15

Reaction score
Okay spoke with some helpful people at AEV today. AEV claims that the power wagon uses the same gears as 2018 and older trucks. He didn’t speak to any machining and had no response to why Nitro doesn’t know this. Again not claiming AEV or Nitro is the sole source or end all be all, but one would think there would be a definitive answer. I’m tempted to find a local installer and give the 2018 gears a try, but now that I don’t live in SoCal anymore I am nervous to try just anyone. There is a 4wheel parts in Charleston. I guess next step is to give them a ring. Still open to any ideas.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Okay spoke with some helpful people at AEV today. AEV claims that the power wagon uses the same gears as 2018 and older trucks. He didn’t speak to any machining and had no response to why Nitro doesn’t know this. Again not claiming AEV or Nitro is the sole source or end all be all, but one would think there would be a definitive answer. I’m tempted to find a local installer and give the 2018 gears a try, but now that I don’t live in SoCal anymore I am nervous to try just anyone. There is a 4wheel parts in Charleston. I guess next step is to give them a ring. Still open to any ideas.

What is your reasoning to try and make this a priority? Are you going to run 40s?
I know it's subjective, but the stock 4.10 and the 8 speed in the Power Wagon handle 37s fine. Granted I've yet to tow anything. Has anyone with 37s and a PW towed anything close to the tow rating??

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I have BFG 35's on mine, towed a 5K trailer and the bed was loaded up. Rear end was sagging a bit.

Had no issues towing the trailer. Pulled a 6% uphill at 65 MPH like the trailer wasn't even there. Never once did i have an issue passing anyone. cruised at 70 MPH anywhere I wanted to .

JM15

Reaction score
Yeah towing a 4K boat and we want to get a small airstream to be able to drop it off and explore with the PW. Use the airstream as Basecamp. I know it can do it without a regear, I just really enjoy as much power as possible and like to take it easy on the drivetrain relieving stress where I can. Coming from a 3500/HO cummins this truck is descent but if I can keep it peppy and light feeling I won’t get bored and sell it.

JM15

Reaction score
The last time I visited AEV we discussed gearing on the 2019+ RAMs and they stated that the only 2019+ they could upgrade gears on was the Power Wagon since they still used the same rear axle assembly as the previous generation. AAM had 4.44s for the 2019+ although I will wait for 4.89s or maybe even 5.38s.
So does that mean one can get 4.44s for the diesels then? I’m now tracking we can use previous gears for the PW trucks which is great news. If they had 4.44s available for the diesels I wonder why they don’t offer it in the PXL?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Just checked again (non power wagon here)

East coast gear supply and Yukon now both show R&P fitting the 2019 trucks.

Aam gears and Yukon gears, respectively. Yukon says 2014-2019 and AAM says 2014up neither specify PW

I need to set aside time to call the guys at ECGS and Yukon and see if these really fit. Would like 4.10 or 4.30s

Last edited:

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Just checked again (non power wagon here)

East coast gear supply and Yukon now both show R&P fitting the 2019 trucks.

Aam gears and Yukon gears, respectively. Yukon says 2014-2019 and AAM says 2014up neither specify PW

I need to set aside time to call the guys at ECGS and Yukon and see if these really fit. Would like 4.10 or 4.30s
Power Wagon comes with 4.10s, so they should be available somewhere

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Correct that is where the confusion lies. The ring and pinion manufacturers do not specify PW or non PW. It just says fits 2014 and newer. But word on the street says the axles are different.

Users who are viewing this thread