Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Cummins turbo silence

Ufoldfirst

Reaction score
I don't know if that K +N filter is the oil type unless they changed their air filtration micron size they are not recommended on Cummins engines especially is dusty enviremonts. Your Truck has a Factory cold air intake . Wasting your hard earned money on something that will do very little if any to change the performance is pointless.

I have read some reports that the K&N cleanable filters are not good for the turbo diesels. Since my earlier post, I have installed a S&B air intake kit. It is well made, can use cotton or cleanable filter, sounds much better, and I gained 2mpg right away. Good purchase.

Joe2bear

Reaction score
I have read some reports that the K&N cleanable filters are not good for the turbo diesels. Since my earlier post, I have installed a S&B air intake kit. It is well made, can use cotton or cleanable filter, sounds much better, and I gained 2mpg right away. Good purchase.
I was going to say, why is everyone talking about K&N filters on this thread. It does not relate to S&B filters nor cold air intakes...

Also comments about lack of performance increase is incorrect. It's the air box itself and piping that actually increases the performance and mileage of the Cummins. The S&B paper filter still does its job to stop particles, if there was a video about S&B filtration being somewhat miserable, I would like to see it. But based on the design, I severely doubt it allows dust to pass thru.

Nick

Reaction score
How do you gain 2 mpg right away ? I would have thought that a minimum of a thousand miles under similar conditions would be a fair test . Not disputing what your claiming just curious how you came to the conclusion so quickly .

Ufoldfirst

Reaction score
How do you gain 2 mpg right away ? I would have thought that a minimum of a thousand miles under similar conditions would be a fair test . Not disputing what your claiming just curious how you came to the conclusion so quickly .

"Right away" is wrong terminology. Within two tank fills, I calculated a 2MPG increase in fuel efficiency.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I remember when we would turn the lids on the air cleaners upside down. Typically sounded pretty cool but it did nuthin to improve power or MPGs. I understand how altering the air inlet config to the Cummins' turbo can make more noise but increasing power and fuel efficiency with those alterations has my skeptic light flashing. Unless the turbo geometry has been altered, I don't see gains in power or fuel efficiency. Moreover, the 19 and up trucks have the biggest honk'n intercooler ever installed on a pickup. The OE intake must assuredly be optimized to take advantage of that? No? If no, why the big intercooler? Or are we implying that the OE intake is not feeding enough air to the turbo? Skeptic light is still flashing...

Last edited:

Squatch

Reaction score
I always swapped my used cummins purchases back to the stock setup, never noticed a difference either way. Mpg didn’t change and sound didn’t change. Of course, that turbo back straight pipe could have drowned out any noticeable intake noise. I could never tell if I was getting those aftermarket filters clean enough and I didn’t trust them, it is a hell of a lot easier to just plop in a new oe part and call it good. Snake oil in my opinion.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I remember when we would turn the lids on the air cleaners upside down. Typically sounded pretty cool but it did nuthin to improve power or MPGs. I understand how altering the air inlet config to the Cummins' turbo can make more noise but increasing power and fuel efficiency with those alterations has my skeptic light flashing. Unless the turbo geometry has been altered, I don't see gains in power or fuel efficiency. Moreover, the 19 and up trucks have the biggest honk'n intercooler ever installed on a pickup. The OE intake must assuredly be optimized to take advantage of that? No? If no, why the big intercooler? Or are we implying that the OE intake is not feeding enough air to the turbo? Skeptic light is still flashing...
Good golly you must be as old as me;). I remember that in the 80’s.... or sometime back in the day. The peck’r heads that would steal cars then would also do that or just throw away the lid and if you got the vehicle back it would be dusted:mad:. Nowadays around here they steal Stupid-Duties and do their ‘’dealing and stealing’’ and then burn them to the ground!

Users who are viewing this thread