Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Cummins turbo silence

Ufoldfirst

Reaction score
I can't get over how quiet my 2019 2500 Cummins is.
The 2018 had a turbo silencer in the intake tube, removable, and made a little difference.

Anyone have ideas for how I can get some more sound from the turbo? is it going to be a cold air intake? I'm not sure if bypassing the factory air system would be best or not.

Joe2bear

Reaction score
I know the earlier models had the turbo silencer ring in the turbo itself, on the intake side. I know the intake also has a foam baffle, but I am not sure if you its the same on the 2019.

I will check on my truck in a few days and see what I can find.

Joe2bear

Reaction score
I did check my intake on my truck, I didn't see any turbo silencer ring (Looked machined in possibly) and didn't see any foam baffle (Just a plastic one). Looks like they changed the intake and turbo for the better.

I am not 100 positive a cold air intake would be good for this truck. As I see there is two sensors on the intake tube and filter and the intake doesn't seem very restricted. Also, not to mention the design of the forced air from the grill. I would say possibly a higher flow filter would be the best case scenario, otherwise I don't see any power/noise changes with a cold air intake. But that is just my opinion.

If you do a intake swap on your truck, let me know if it changes anything.

Ufoldfirst

Reaction score
Thanks, I did look at it like you did. I am tempted to get a S&B Filters cold air intake - 75-5068.
S&B Filters 75-5068 Cold Air Intake kit
Good reviews, good fit, confirmed on the 2019. I'ts on my list for things to get this summer, BUT, for less than 1/3 the price, I did drop in a stock K&N filter already.

I'm definitely not used to a quiet turbo. I've had 4 turbo cars over the years and this new Ram is amazingly quiet!

Thanks for the update!

oilburnin

Reaction score
There also seems to be a correlation to people putting intakes on their trucks and their trucks doing regens much more frequently afterwards. I myself and not quite sure what the connection there would be but it is more than a few people who have mentioned it.

Joe2bear

Reaction score
Do have any video of the sound? Do you get a whistle when you use the exhaust brake?

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
K&Ns filter fine dust as well as a window screen. That whistle must be awfully important.
It's been proven over and over that K&Ns (and all oil filters) pass particles that dry filters catch. Sure, more airflow but worse, more particles entering the system.

Not contradicting, just passing along what I know and want to caution others.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
don't have a video. I think that there are a few on youtube.

D

Deleted member 80

It's been proven over and over that K&Ns (and all oil filters) pass particles that dry filters catch. Sure, more airflow but worse, more particles entering the system.

Not contradicting, just passing along what I know and want to caution others.
I'm not sure why you quoted me, but my post clearly said "K&N filters like a window screen", so I think we agree;)

Ufoldfirst

Reaction score
I put on a s&b dry filter intake. it does increase the turbo song, and the eb sounds really good. throttle tip in was improved. fitment is spot on.

View attachment 3459

I got the same intake, with the washable filter.
Did you notice fuel economy increase? Mine went up about 1 to 1.5 MPG better.

Good product, support, etc. definitely recommend!

Can also remove a side panel on the air box to increase flow (and sound for sure!)

Last edited:

Nick

Reaction score
Thanks, I did look at it like you did. I am tempted to get a S&B Filters cold air intake - 75-5068.
S&B Filters 75-5068 Cold Air Intake kit
Good reviews, good fit, confirmed on the 2019. I'ts on my list for things to get this summer, BUT, for less than 1/3 the price, I did drop in a stock K&N filter already.

I'm definitely not used to a quiet turbo. I've had 4 turbo cars over the years and this new Ram is amazingly quiet!

Thanks for the update!
I don't know if that K +N filter is the oil type unless they changed their air filtration micron size they are not recommended on Cummins engines especially is dusty enviremonts. Your Truck has a Factory cold air intake . Wasting your hard earned money on something that will do very little if any to change the performance is pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread