Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019-2022 Dually largest oversized tire on stock wheels/truck?

Illymost

Reaction score
How did the 2” spacer go? Does it stick out past fender?
I haven’t even opened the box. The day after I ordered them I ran into a guy at Costco who was running Bora spacers, and we talked for a bit. The 2” spacers just make the tires and wheels stick out too far for my liking. I think I will be going DDC wheels with a 11 or 11.50 tire. It will stick out a bit but I like the hub centric design and not running spacers.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
View attachment 43444View attachment 43447
This is with a 1/2” slip on spacer. My 2” bolt ons should be here tomorrow. If they’re too wide, I might go with 1” and trim the studs, but really don’t want to.

Good info and pics. This is helpful to many, thank you.

That set of wheels use acorn style lug nuts so it doesn't go "through" like the oem flanged nuts. But there are plenty of threads remaining. If I have time later this week I'll remove one nut to count the threads in use and will let you know.

You ever get a chance to measure how much thread engagement those flanged nuts have with your spacers? Im trying to decide on 1/4, 1/2, or a 1" with some trimming.

Ugh. Too many choices

Found this thread while looking for wheels options for a 22 DRW. As a retired tire guy I wanted to to add my .02
2" "Adapters" will move your outer wheel 2", all you need to do is put a tape measure on the sidewall bulge and see how far out of the wheel well 2" will be. Adapters are ok provided you re-tourque the inner lug nuts every 100 miles or so until they maintain trq.
Spacers that slip on are extremely dangerous and should never be used on anything, much less a DWR used to tow. They very rarely maintain proper lug nut torque. I have seen them break on Tuner cars and lightweight jeeps. There is a reason no reputable tire chain will install them. Our tire shops won't even work on a vehicle with slip on spacers, way too much liability. Have people run them and never had a problem in 20yrs, of course they have & still do, but Grandpa only died once. Use what you are comfortable with
Lugnuts should never have exposed threads (from studs being too short). There is a very good reason they are as thick as they are, and they are designed to have full thread engagement.
Wider tires on stock rims. Yes you can, but realize that the tire manufacturers have a minimum wheel width for a reason. They can and will deny warranty on a 255 mounted on a 6" rim as it is too narrow for what the load carrying capacity was tested at. (its how they cover their ass in liability) The more you pinch in the beads (from 6.5 to 6 wide rim) the less carrying capacity of the tire, especially at lower psi.
I have run the 255/17 Toyo AT3 on the stock wheels without spacers, with 70psi fr & 55 psi rear. My DWR is our tow pig, of the 80K that was on the 2018 50k of it was towing a 22k lb 5th wheel with a tongue weight of 4200lb, my rear tires never touched and wore flat, but do what you are comfortable with. The thing I didn't like about the 255 on the stock wheels was the edge wear of the front tires. I rotated the tires twice while they were on due to edge wear on the fronts. I believe the edge wear is from the tire being on a wheel that is "technically" to narrow for it. You could just replace the fronts when the wear got too excessive but I opted to put the stock size back when the 255 were done. I think I got almost 40k out of the 255s, but I replace tires earlier than some due to the weight, speeds, weather & milage I tow.
Now I just have to decide if I am going with 6.5 wheels or stepping up to the 20" rims and paying the $1k for a set of tires. Decisions decisions

Mr Safety, reporting for duty!

MikeXM

Reaction score
You ever get a chance to measure how much thread engagement those flanged nuts have with your spacers? Im trying to decide on 1/4, 1/2, or a 1" with some trimming.

Here you go:

But first, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing, I'm NOT using flanged nuts when I'm using the summer wheels with spacers as they are ACORN style.
So the following is for ACORN nuts style wheels only. Depending of your wheels, your results will be different.

Measurements with the 1/2in spacer and summer wheels (UM Scorpion):
Measured stud left: 1 1/32" (not all usable as acorn nuts sets before end)​
Number of threads actually used by nut: 14 full turns or just shy of 7/8".​

Rule of thumb for thread safety on steal bolt is 1 to 1.5X the diameter of bolt. In my case, threads used is exactly 1.5 (or 21mm on M14 bolt)

Considering these values, I would NOT recommend using anything thicker than 1/2" as spacers with OEM bolts. But at the end of the day, you are your own boss. ;)

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Here you go:

But first, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing, I'm NOT using flanged nuts when I'm using the summer wheels with spacers as they are ACORN style.
So the following is for ACORN nuts style wheels only. Depending of your wheels, your results will be different.

Rule of thumb for thread safety on steal bolt is 1 to 1.5X the diameter of bolt. In my case, threads used is exactly 1.5 (or 21mm on M14 bolt)

Considering these values, I would NOT recommend using anything thicker than 1/2" as spacers with OEM bolts. But at the end of the day, you are your own boss. ;)

Really good info. Thank you!

CFE

Reaction score
Studs are stock (at this thickness spacers don't have any studs so no need to cut anything. You use the OEM ones).
Spacers are hub-centric aluminum.
Have you had to re-tighten/torqued your lugs any more than usual due to using aluminum over steel spacers? I'm leaning going your route with the 1/2" spacers and either the Falkens/Nitto 255/80/17 or the MT Bajas 255/85/17 on my OEM alcoas.

Just put the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT 255/85/17 on second hand NE wheels.
View attachment 43081
Might have missed it - did you use spacers? That's a bad ass looking shorty.

Illymost

Reaction score
Have you had to re-tighten/torqued your lugs any more than usual due to using aluminum over steel spacers? I'm leaning going your route with the 1/2" spacers and either the Falkens/Nitto 255/80/17 or the MT Bajas 255/85/17 on my OEM alcoas.

Might have missed it - did you use spacers? That's a bad ass looking shorty.
I’ve got the Fred Goeske 2” spacers still in the box. I decided to go a different route. I’m going to be going DDC wheels with 11.50 tires. I’ll get some poke but that seems to be the best solution for me.

Reactions: CFE

MikeXM

Reaction score

We have all hear that spacers gives those problems (and probably true). But it has not been my experience. And I've installed them for 3 summers so far (they are not used for the winter set).
You need to retighten for sure once (at like 100miles). Always did a 2nd check at around 500 miles and didn't result in anything loose. So in my experience, it is not different than without spacers.

TIP: I reset the travel counter and leave that screen on until I've retighten them. Works good as a reminder.

Last edited:
Reactions: CFE

Limited22

Reaction score
Here you go:

Would you be able to send us a link of the acorn nuts you got?

MikeXM

Reaction score

Ramguy17

Reaction score
New to the site. Thanks for all the helpful info. I mounted Baja's 255/85/17 on mine, with the stock wheels and no spacers. Will probably add a 1/2" spacer to add space in between rear tires.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
New to the site. Thanks for all the helpful info. I mounted Baja's 255/85/17 on mine, with the stock wheels and no spacers. Will probably add a 1/2" spacer to add space in between rear tires.

lets see some pictures

tchur1

Reaction score
I am new to dually's and have a 2023 on order. I plan to put new tires on it when it gets delivered (ideally 35x12.5s) but after reading this thread understand that those tires will not fit with stock wheels. 2 questions.

1) What is the offset for the front wheels?
2) ignorant question but what is the downside to running spacers on your wheels?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I am new to dually's and have a 2023 on order. I plan to put new tires on it when it gets delivered (ideally 35x12.5s) but after reading this thread understand that those tires will not fit with stock wheels. 2 questions.

1) What is the offset for the front wheels?
2) ignorant question but what is the downside to running spacers on your wheels?
You can run a bolt on spacer between the duals no problem

tchur1

Reaction score
You can run a bolt on spacer between the duals no problem
Great, so a 1.5" bolt on would be fine to run with 35s?

Does anyone know the offset on the night edition front dually wheels? and would 35s rub on a stock setup.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Does anyone know the offset on the night edition front dually wheels? and would 35s rub on a stock setup.
Yep. You may have to trim the factory studs if they are past the spacer face but thats no biggie. You will likely be fine rubbing wise but the wheel is a little narrow not the end if the world but you may wear the tire centers out faster

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Minimum spacer you can run without having to cut the factory lug studs is 2".

But at 2" the tires stick too far outside the dually fenders and some people (me include) think it looks trashy.

tchur1

Reaction score
Minimum spacer you can run without having to cut the factory lug studs is 2".

But at 2" the tires stick too far outside the dually fenders and some people (me include) think it looks trashy.
Got it, so 2" bolt on spacer I dont need to make any mods to the studs or wheels?

How far beyond the fenders does a 2" push the tire? If I run 35x12.5?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Got it, so 2" bolt on spacer I dont need to make any mods to the studs or wheels?

How far beyond the fenders does a 2" push the tire? If I run 35x12.5?

Correct. I don't have the measurement, but it is obvious to the eye that they stick out... gotta be close to 2". Some don't mind the look, some do.

Users who are viewing this thread