Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019-2022 Dually largest oversized tire on stock wheels/truck?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Can you show us a picture how far they poke out past the fenders? I'm assuming with 2" spacers it will be super aggressive. looking to have mine be flush with the fenders, but still can't see which setup works the best

A 2" spacer on the rear makes the outside tire stick out well beyond the dually fender.

Looks like total ass.

My not so humble opinion.

Limited22

Reaction score
A 2" spacer on the rear makes the outside tire stick out well beyond the dually fender.

Looks like total ass.

Totally agree with you, which is why were all here trying to find an alternative solution to that problem lol we all want bigger wheels but not look like an ass on the road lol

MikeXM

Reaction score
Has anyone thought about replacing just the inner wheel of our stock dually wheels to have different offset and provide the necessary clearance of oversize tires?
I haven't seen any choices of offset in metal wheels. Have you?

Illymost

Reaction score
I haven't seen any choices of offset in metal wheels. Have you?
There’s others who have a way better grasp on these things, I’m just learning, but I got to think you’re limited by the leaf springs on the inside rub. If that’s true, then probably not a lot of deviation on inner wheels? I could be full of ****, though.

Surgdoc4

Reaction score

Looks like total ass.

I have to agree. Since I ordered a dually I have been watching what is out there, lots of RAM drw here in WY. It does not seem that the trucks with the oversized wheels sticking out the sides and jacked up suspensions are never hauling anything. Must be for looks or off road adventures. I need a hauler for an RV, my perspective. I do not know if adjustments are possible to correct the instrumentation changes with a taller wheel. A wider tire may have better traction in mud but not in snow and ice. Try ice fishing on a frozen MN lake covered with snow to test. While I would like a better tire than the Nexens they come with I’m going to stick with the size they were designed for. I would love to hear dissenting opinions and experiences that prove me wrong. I am just going off 50 years experience and more vehicles than I can count.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have to agree. Since I ordered a dually I have been watching what is out there, lots of RAM drw here in WY. It does not seem that the trucks with the oversized wheels sticking out the sides and jacked up suspensions are never hauling anything. Must be for looks or off road adventures. I need a hauler for an RV, my perspective. I do not know if adjustments are possible to correct the instrumentation changes with a taller wheel. A wider tire may have better traction in mud but not in snow and ice. Try ice fishing on a frozen MN lake covered with snow to test. While I would like a better tire than the Nexens they come with I’m going to stick with the size they were designed for. I would love to hear dissenting opinions and experiences that prove me wrong. I am just going off 50 years experience and more vehicles than I can count.
Id have to agree after 21 years living with the large wheel opening with stock tires it may look silly to some but it works well in this setup when i used to plow with the ol girl or drag a trailer anywhere i needed her to

Attachments

• 8B4B6207-A2BE-473E-B529-B43306CF8E57.jpeg
    8B4B6207-A2BE-473E-B529-B43306CF8E57.jpeg
    606.8 KB · Views: 71

Limited22

Reaction score
There’s others who have a way better grasp on these things, I’m just learning, but I got to think you’re limited by the leaf springs on the inside rub. If that’s true, then probably not a lot of deviation on inner wheels? I could be full of ****, though.

Would you be able to check on yours how much clearance there is from the Mickey Thompsons to the leaf springs?

Illymost

Reaction score
Would you be able to check on yours how much clearance there is from the Mickey Thompsons to the leaf springs?
Rough estimate in the dark, about 1.5” from the most aggressive sidewall lug to the leaf springs.

Limited22

Reaction score
Rough estimate in the dark, about 1.5” from the most aggressive sidewall lug to the leaf springs.
My guess is if we can find an inner wheel with an offset that moves it closer to leaf spring about an inch, that would give us the needed clearance for the duals?... and inner wheels are cheaper than getting 2" spacers and having them poke out

Illymost

Reaction score
My guess is if we can find an inner wheel with an offset that moves it closer to leaf spring about an inch, that would give us the needed clearance for the duals?... and inner wheels are cheaper than getting 2" spacers and having them poke out
I’m hopeful with these Vision 181 Haulers. Somebody on one of these threads is about to put them on his truck next week. If that doesn’t work, DDC 20” .

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
How difficult would it be to put in studs 1/2” longer and use a 1/2” spacer on the 255/80R 17’s?

MikeXM

Reaction score
How difficult would it be to put in studs 1/2” longer and use a 1/2” spacer on the 255/80R 17’s?
Why would you want to do that? You don't need longer studs for just half inch spacers. See my posts here and here. I run those size with standard studs.

Last edited:

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
Why would you want to do that? You don't need longer studs for just half inch spacers. See my posts here and here. I run those size with standard studs.
I did see that. Does the stud reach the end of nut because I saw pictures at another post where they were not even close. That would make me nervous pulling a 20k RV. It is not that I would even want to change studs and if it was necessary I would just stick with the 235s.

MikeXM

Reaction score
I did see that. Does the stud reach the end of nut because I saw pictures at another post where they were not even close. That would make me nervous pulling a 20k RV. It is not that I would even want to change studs and if it was necessary I would just stick with the 235s.
That set of wheels use acorn style lug nuts so it doesn't go "through" like the oem flanged nuts. But there are plenty of threads remaining. If I have time later this week I'll remove one nut to count the threads in use and will let you know.

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
That set of wheels use acorn style lug nuts so it doesn't go "through" like the oem flanged nuts. But there are plenty of threads remaining. If I have time later this week I'll remove one nut to count the threads in use and will let you know.
Thanks, maybe I am overly cautious but the thought of losing a wheel pulling the beast on the interstate is what nightmares are made from. I already ordered the 1/2” spacers. I will wait on the tires. I really appreciate your input.

jfab6969

Reaction score
Found this thread while looking for wheels options for a 22 DRW. As a retired tire guy I wanted to to add my .02
2" "Adapters" will move your outer wheel 2", all you need to do is put a tape measure on the sidewall bulge and see how far out of the wheel well 2" will be. Adapters are ok provided you re-tourque the inner lug nuts every 100 miles or so until they maintain trq.
Spacers that slip on are extremely dangerous and should never be used on anything, much less a DWR used to tow. They very rarely maintain proper lug nut torque. I have seen them break on Tuner cars and lightweight jeeps. There is a reason no reputable tire chain will install them. Our tire shops won't even work on a vehicle with slip on spacers, way too much liability. Have people run them and never had a problem in 20yrs, of course they have & still do, but Grandpa only died once. Use what you are comfortable with
Lugnuts should never have exposed threads (from studs being too short). There is a very good reason they are as thick as they are, and they are designed to have full thread engagement.
Wider tires on stock rims. Yes you can, but realize that the tire manufacturers have a minimum wheel width for a reason. They can and will deny warranty on a 255 mounted on a 6" rim as it is too narrow for what the load carrying capacity was tested at. (its how they cover their ass in liability) The more you pinch in the beads (from 6.5 to 6 wide rim) the less carrying capacity of the tire, especially at lower psi.
I have run the 255/17 Toyo AT3 on the stock wheels without spacers, with 70psi fr & 55 psi rear. My DWR is our tow pig, of the 80K that was on the 2018 50k of it was towing a 22k lb 5th wheel with a tongue weight of 4200lb, my rear tires never touched and wore flat, but do what you are comfortable with. The thing I didn't like about the 255 on the stock wheels was the edge wear of the front tires. I rotated the tires twice while they were on due to edge wear on the fronts. I believe the edge wear is from the tire being on a wheel that is "technically" to narrow for it. You could just replace the fronts when the wear got too excessive but I opted to put the stock size back when the 255 were done. I think I got almost 40k out of the 255s, but I replace tires earlier than some due to the weight, speeds, weather & milage I tow.
Now I just have to decide if I am going with 6.5 wheels or stepping up to the 20" rims and paying the $1k for a set of tires. Decisions decisions

Users who are viewing this thread