Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019-2022 Dually largest oversized tire on stock wheels/truck?

Synolimit

Reaction score
No spacers, but running 2020 ford inners (17x6.5") which have a slightly higher offset. +6mm additional offset (IIRC). Same bolt pattern/hub bore. Going to replace the night edition rims with some aftermarket 6.5" wide rims eventually.
Surprised you did that. If the oem is 6” outer and the fords inner is 6.5”, this would give your rear tires different ride heights. Probably too small to tell but I wouldn’t have chosen that.

Synolimit

Reaction score
If anyone was curious, my OEM tires did pretty good. 59,000 miles on my 2022. If I lived in Texas or something I could maybe go longer but I will replace this fall. From looking at the pics here between the 255/80/17 and the 255/85/17, I think the 80 wins unless you’re lifted.

As for a spacer, a good lug nut only needs its stud width to grab and hold. If ours are 1/2” wide studs, half inch of grab should be fine. Stock looks like it grabs over 1” with some protruding out the lug. 1/4” or a 1/2” spacer should be fine but I wouldnt go 1/2” unless it’s hubcentric. You should be ok with 1/8-1/4” spacers that are not hubcentric. Just air up when towing.

Attachments

• IMG_8239.jpeg
    IMG_8239.jpeg
    574.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8240.jpeg
    IMG_8240.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8241.jpeg
    IMG_8241.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 19

MikeXM

Reaction score
I know this is old but my 3.73 is 34,070lbs towing. What would mine drop to with either the 255/80 or the 255/85?
"equivalent" drive ratio would be 3.59 (-4.1%) and 3.48 (-7.2%) respectively compared to OEM tire size. That is the drive ratio to drive the exact same distance with the different tire sizes.

It's an approximative ratio and is not considering all the physics involved. For example, the larger tires are also heavier so a bit more force is loss to make them spin.

CFE

Reaction score
Hello,
First time poster, been a lurker for a few months. After reading this post I bit the bullet and put on the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT 255/85/R17's on my 22 limited long bed. Stock suspension and no spacers in the rear. Looks are great except where the shop damaged all 6 wheels with the tire machine and will be replacing all 6 wheels. The tires are not touching (about 1/4" between the sidewall lugs) but I have the 1/2 spacer and will be installing tomorrow to give the rear duals more space in-between the side walls.
Thinking about finally biting the bullet on the Baja Boss AT in 255/85/17- just curious how you're still liking the Baja Boss ATs and how they're holding up?

CFE

Reaction score
Thinking about finally biting the bullet on the Baja Boss AT in 255/85/17- just curious how you're still liking the Baja Boss ATs and how they're holding up?
and I settled for the Falken Wildpeaks A/T3Ws. I wanted the H/T versions but my tire shop said their vendor was all out of the H/Ts. I'll finally be able to junk the Nexens this weekend with ~33k miles.

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
I just recently installed a set of the Falken Wildpeaks. Good so far. I also have them on my Wife's SUV.

Reactions: CFE

BigDually19

Reaction score
After reading this thread, I went with 255/80-R17 Nitto Recon Grapplers on my 2022 3500 DRW. I’m satisfied with the gap between the rear tires without a load (this is at 65 PSI). When I get my RV hooked up, I’ll let y’all know if there are any issues.
Hey i was just checking if you had towed with the new tires yet? And how the clearance was between the duals with a load on? Thanks

Reaction score
Good info and pics. This is helpful to many, thank you.

You ever get a chance to measure how much thread engagement those flanged nuts have with your spacers? Im trying to decide on 1/4, 1/2, or a 1" with some trimming.

Ugh. Too many choices

Mr Safety, reporting for duty!

Users who are viewing this thread