Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Oil Change

MrMopar

Reaction score
So I'll be hitting 500 miles on my new PW...my last new truck (2002 F150) at 500 miles I changed out the oil putting in 1 qt. of Duralube and switching to Mobil 1, then retreating w/Duralube every 50k mikes...but always used Mobil 1...264k miles later still going strong.
Plan on doing the same except without the Duralube....
What do yawl use, or when do you change for the 1st time...?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I use AMSoil on all my vehicles... I'll likely change it out after the 500 mile break in period.
Manual says no more than 8K miles and no longer than 12 months.

woody284

Reaction score
I have been reading different opinions on 1st oil change and oil. I understand we want a high molly oil and to stick with the recommendation of weight. Here you say after 500 miles but I’ve heard up to 2000. The sticker on my window the dealer put on there when I bought it new says next oil change is 5000 miles. I’m at 350 miles now and plan to take a 10 hour one way trip to Florida in October. By the time that trip rolls around I’ll be at maybe 1000 miles.
6.4 hemi question.

MrMopar

Reaction score
1000 miles won't kill ya, I always dump Oil after 500 mile break in (drive it like ya Stole it). Mobil 1, then every 5k.
My .02

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Reviving an older thread - I broke my truck in towing, about 300 miles right away. I was a little concerned about doing it but I didn’t have choice. I decided to go to 1,000 miles before I changed the oil. The engine did rev a little higher while under tow so it factored into my decision. I went a little over, 1200 miles today. I decided to go with the factory recommended Pennzoil Ultra and Mopar filter to avoid any warranty issues. If you haven’t looked at the size of your oil filter you’ll be amazed to see how small it is. I don’t think it would even hold a quart total, hopefully it does the job.

I used Mobil 1 in all previous Hemi’s Ive owned and think it’s a great product. This is the first time I’ve used Pennzoil synthetic and hope it performs as well. Time will tell for those who stick with factory recommendations.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
So long as you use 0W-40 that meets MS-12633 and you use a filter that has the same bypass psi, you will be fine.
I'm letting the dealer do the 1st service and handle the laundry list of issues I've jotted down...
I will do subsequent maintenance myself and likely keep using AMSoil

Squatch

Reaction score
Just did my first oil change at 1000 miles and the oil was pretty damn dark. Let me tell ya, that factory filter was a pain in the ass to get off. I broke my oil filter wrench and crushed the oil filter getting it off.

MrMopar

Reaction score
Just did my first oil change at 1000 miles and the oil was pretty damn dark. Let me tell ya, that factory filter was a pain in the ass to get off. I broke my oil filter wrench and crushed the oil filter getting it off.
That's because it's Pennzoil...why they changed from Mobil 1 I'll never understand.

JinwA

Reaction score
When I did mine last week the steel band flex handle filter wrench was the best fit. The socket style didn’t really fit the end of the filter and the basic strap wrench didn’t have enough clearance. Why when they make provisions for a drip chute, why does it always end up dripping on the tie rod. Go figure.
I kept the filter to cut apart and compare with the ones coming off in the future.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
That's because it's Pennzoil...why they changed from Mobil 1 I'll never understand.

Because Fiat has been using Pennzoil for a long time and it meets the Chrysler Material Standard MS-12633, which Mobil does not... if go to their website and use the 'find the right oil'. nothing comes up in the search.
If you want to use oil that meets MS-12633 you have Pennzoil, AMSoil, or Schaffer's.

Hukdup

Reaction score
Just hit 330 miles. Going to have mine changed next week at my dealer. Might buy a service plan after that. They have really good deals locally here at my Ram dealer. I’m an anal diy guy thru and thru. Picky about my oil, filters, change intervals. Going to hard for me to let go and not do my own.

JinwA

Reaction score
I went that direction until the service rep kept referring to oil used in Diesel engines when talking about my truck. I have a Hemi.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
FCA added a Vegas taxi endurance test to their qualifying oil spec almost a decade ago. Shell jumped on board but Exxon/Mobile told em to pound salt. Mobil done did the taxi test BS long before it was a thing in an oil spec. The rest, as they say...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread