Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st oil change coming up

BigBlack

Reaction score
I’m new to the diesel trucks, I love mine and want to keep it as long as I can. I know there is a lot of opinions on when you should get your first oil change and what kind of oil to use. My main question is can I take it to someone you think is reputable and know they do a good job ( Jiffy Lube) and if so do they carry the top oils such as Ams oil or shell rotella and by going to these places will it void any warranty by not going to the dealer? I’m also going by my oil life gauge, currently at 6569 miles with 46 % oil life left.

npurdy1112

Reaction score
I wouldn’t consider Jiffy Lube reputable, at least in my area. Do you have many other options?

BigBlack

Reaction score
Reason I say jiffy lube is because I service my work truck there (gas) and the people are always on top of their stuff and not to mention I’ve seen a few diesels going in and out of there. We do have a Castrol and a handful of others that recently changed their name but I don’t trust.

ahhhr

Reaction score
I wouldn't go to Jiffy around here either - but as long as you can show receipts to prove you followed the maintenance schedule I don't think they can deny warranty.
Unless they analyze the oil and find its not to spec.

You don't get Grade A steak at McDonalds

npurdy1112

Reaction score
I wouldn't go to Jiffy around here either - but as long as you can show receipts to prove you followed the maintenance schedule I don't think they can deny warranty.
Unless they analyze the oil and find its not to spec.

You don't get Grade A steak at McDonalds

Agree. Also, if you have prior good experiences at the local Jiffy Lube then I don't see a reason to change. Just keep the receipts and you will be good.

A friend had a turbo/engine problem in his eco boost f150 and he gave them what receipts he had for service, he did not have everything, and was still covered. If it were me I would make copies and keep them digitally now days.

Zrojas

Reaction score
If you trust them, then I'm sure it will be fine. Keep the receipts as others have mentioned and consider getting your oil samples analyzed. I use Blackstone for all of my oil samples.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I’m also going by my oil life gauge, currently at 6569 miles with 46 % oil life left.
If you are geographically located in an area that can potentially see temperatures drop down past 0F, get that factory oil fill (10W-30) out, regardless of what the oil life monitor says.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
If you are geographically located in an area that can potentially see temperatures drop down past 0F, get that factory oil fill (10W-30) out, regardless of what the oil life monitor says.
Ya getting cold here in Alberta again so tomorrow it’s out with the old(about 900km) oil and in with the new T6 syn.

ahhhr

Reaction score
Ya getting cold here in Alberta again so tomorrow it’s out with the old(about 900km) oil and in with the new T6 syn.
Funny - thats part of the reason im driving back to bc tomorrow.
When I get back, its oil change time. It will be about 3500 km by then

Users who are viewing this thread