Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1/2 ton springs on a 3/4?

jnma1234

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has looked into putting 1/2 ton springs onto a 3/4 ton to improve the ride quality. You could put airbags in the back to supplement the rear when your trailer is hooked up. Not sure if the springs are the same diameter, but if they are, theoretically you could get lifted 1/2 ton springs to make up the height difference.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has looked into putting 1/2 ton springs onto a 3/4 ton to improve the ride quality. You could put airbags in the back to supplement the rear when your trailer is hooked up. Not sure if the springs are the same diameter, but if they are, theoretically you could get lifted 1/2 ton springs to make up the height difference.
No. Don't do this. Carli makes rear coils. Thuren makes rear coils. Both are tested and vetted for the HD platform. You will need bags with Thurens soft-ride coils with anything more than like 2k trailer. They are super soft.

Don't mess around with 1500 coils in a 2500, especially when 2500 soft ride coils are relatively cheap.

jnma1234

Reaction score
Thank you. I talked to Thuren because I wanted factory ride height, and they said they only make 2-in lift coils in the front. They said, because of the softer ride you need the extra space so you're not hitting the bump stops. They also said that I can't shorten the bump stops, but I can change them to make them softer.
That being said, I assume that even with full airbags, I would need to increase the right height for the same reason; that the ride is softer and I would hit the bump stops.
I have also heard people talk about a "reverse leveling kit", as in, putting 2-in shorter springs on the back to level the pickup that way.
I am thinking my best bet is to put a set of softer springs on the back, add airbags to help when I pull the trailer, and change shocks all the way around to make the ride better, coupled with a different tire like a Michelin.
Any thoughts or advice?

kevin588127

Reaction score
The springs that come on the half ton aren't heavy enough for the half ton. I changed mine to variable rate and they actually rode better AND had less sag when towing. I'm hoping someone comes out with a variable spring for the 2500s.

tchur1

Reaction score
Do not put 1/2 ton springs in a 3/4 ton truck.

Also, what kind of truck do you have? Im surprised Thuren said they only have 2" lift front coils. Im on their website right now and for 2500 diesel they have 1" front coils for a 2500 and 3/4" front coils for 3500 diesel.

And for the rear they have 1/2" lower, stock, and 1" lift rear coils.

Your best bet if you want a better ride is just to buy a complete kit from either Carli or Thuren and add in Airbags.

kevin588127

Reaction score
These may be what you are after. I intend to call them. These sound like what I had on my 1500 but now made for the 2500. The ones on my 1500 were softer for the first 2" of travel. After that, they got progressively stiffer. This provided a nice unloaded ride but allowed me to actually pull a trailer without excessive squat.

jnma1234

Reaction score
Do not put 1/2 ton springs in a 3/4 ton truck.

Also, what kind of truck do you have? Im surprised Thuren said they only have 2" lift front coils. Im on their website right now and for 2500 diesel they have 1" front coils for a 2500 and 3/4" front coils for 3500 diesel.

And for the rear they have 1/2" lower, stock, and 1" lift rear coils.

Your best bet if you want a better ride is just to buy a complete kit from either Carli or Thuren and add in Airbags.
Thanks. I'll have to look again, I contacted someone from Thuren and they said they only had 2" coils.

I just purchased the 2014 crew cab with a 6.4 because I didn't want the diesel. I'm going to wait to see if this pulls like I want it to, and if it does, all modify it further.

I thought about bags, but I live up north, and I have seen frozen systems. That makes for a really hard ride. Haha

UglyViking

Reaction score
Ok, lets pause and go back for a second. First, let's just take the idea of 1500 coils straight off the table. As was said they aren't even strong enough for the 1500, don't try and make your own suspension system.

There are a few major components for these trucks you'll want to modify if you want to improve the ride quality. Spring/shock setup, wheel/tire setup, swaybar.

Assuming that you're simply wanting a softer ride, and that you have a budget, then you want to figure how much you're willing to spend to improve your ride. Myself and others here can recommend all sorts of different combinations, but it does me no good to recommend a 10k kit if you only have a 2k budget.

Start with what do you want, how much are you willing to spend, and what trade offs are you willing to make.

For example, softer rear coils will make it ride nicer, but will make towing a headache without bags. 2.5 shocks will really handle the off road and spirited driving well, but cost quite a bit more than 2.0 shocks. 37" tires on 17" wheels will ride like butter, but will most likely have too much sidewall flex for towing heavy. There is no free lunch, everything is trade off.

jnma1234

Reaction score
Ok, lets pause and go back for a second. First, let's just take the idea of 1500 coils straight off the table. As was said they aren't even strong enough for the 1500, don't try and make your own suspension system.

There are a few major components for these trucks you'll want to modify if you want to improve the ride quality. Spring/shock setup, wheel/tire setup, swaybar.

Assuming that you're simply wanting a softer ride, and that you have a budget, then you want to figure how much you're willing to spend to improve your ride. Myself and others here can recommend all sorts of different combinations, but it does me no good to recommend a 10k kit if you only have a 2k budget.

Start with what do you want, how much are you willing to spend, and what trade offs are you willing to make.

For example, softer rear coils will make it ride nicer, but will make towing a headache without bags. 2.5 shocks will really handle the off road and spirited driving well, but cost quite a bit more than 2.0 shocks. 37" tires on 17" wheels will ride like butter, but will most likely have too much sidewall flex for towing heavy. There is no free lunch, everything is trade off.
I understand completely, and I really appreciate all the advice. I think, because I don't do any off-road, and I've already had the front end hit the bump stops on our crappy roads, that I will leave the front coils alone but change the back coils over to soft coils with helper bags. As far as tires, I think I'm going to go to the michelin's, cuz I have had those on other vehicles and they are really good tires. I don't do a lot of off-road, and I just want something that rides a little better

jnma1234

Reaction score
These may be what you are after. I intend to call them. These sound like what I had on my 1500 but now made for the 2500. The ones on my 1500 were softer for the first 2" of travel. After that, they got progressively stiffer. This provided a nice unloaded ride but allowed me to actually pull a trailer without excessive squat.
Hey thanks, I'll give these guys a call and see what they have to say.

RPS1030

Reaction score
If the 1/2 ton front coils are the right diameter, they are actually likely a heavier rate than anything for the 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton is IFS and there is leverage ratio that needs higher spring rate than the wheel rate.

I'm also not a fan of the Thuren "reverse level" option. I ran the 1" lift and 1/2" lowering springs on my 19 2500. Limiting uptravel before the bumpstops is not good for ride quality in my experience.

jnma1234

Reaction score
If the 1/2 ton front coils are the right diameter, they are actually likely a heavier rate than anything for the 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton is IFS and there is leverage ratio that needs higher spring rate than the wheel rate.

I'm also not a fan of the Thuren "reverse level" option. I ran the 1" lift and 1/2" lowering springs on my 19 2500. Limiting uptravel before the bumpstops is not good for ride quality in my experience.
So, you didn't like the Thuren springs?

RPS1030

Reaction score
So, you didn't like the Thuren springs?

I didn't like the lowest option from Thuren.

I love Thuren, and have stuff sitting on the floor for the 4th truck so far from them. But more height and room to move is needed in my experience.

jnma1234

Reaction score
I didn't like the lowest option from Thuren.

I love Thuren, and have stuff sitting on the floor for the 4th truck so far from them. But more height and room to move is needed in my experience.
So, I'm not looking to gain any height, just a lot better ride. That is why I was looking at the half inch lower in the rear and the same or inch higher in the front. I plan on putting airbags to supplement the rear for when I pull my camper. I also plan on changing tires to michelin's when the time comes. Any advice?

RPS1030

Reaction score
Define “better ride” for yourself. Then realize it’s a HD truck. There’s not much room between the front axle and bump stops. Even softer bumpstops have to start engaging even sooner given the limited space. Up travel and sidewall are big drivers to ride quality on these trucks.

2016 Power Wagon
Ended with full Thuren catalog
Medium height front springs, tall rear springs, Airlift airbags/cradles, track bars F&R, Swaybar, King 3.0/2.5, 37s on 17s, regeared

Super predictable, firm on road, soaked up washboard and small whoops Offroad at speed, Swaybar made transitions awesome, rear Trackbar smoothed rear end out. Semi-regularly towed 7-9k super confidently and controlled with big shocks

2019 2500 CCSB Diesel
1” front lift, 1/2” lowering rear springs, Swaybar, airbags/cradles, Fox 2.0, 35x11.5x18s

Swaybar kept transitions good, springs maybe slightly softer than stock, did rear plus bags for adjustment and as soft as can be, but seemed to be on internal bumpstops and ramp rate when empty too quickly. 2.0 non Resi shocks aren’t enough to control that much truck weight. Very soft and wallowy feel over road bumps. Imo. Thought this was a decent alternative as truck was more towpig/road instead of do-it-all.

2009 QCLB Dually Flatbed

Swapped front spacers for Thuren 3” springs and Fox 2.0 Resi shocks on all corners, stock size tires, airbags and prob stock rear leaf springs

Springs and shocks made a big difference, soaked up road imperfections amazingly compared to spacers and Ranchos. Made truck driveable more often.

2018 3500 CCLB Diesel

Getting max height springs, full leaf springs/shackles, Swaybar, Trackbar, Fox 2.0 Resis, 35x11.5x20 to 37x12.5x17or18 likely. Hoping it’s a good match, but constantly looking at Kings again.

jnma1234

Reaction score
Define “better ride” for yourself. Then realize it’s a HD truck. There’s not much room between the front axle and bump stops. Even softer bumpstops have to start engaging even sooner given the limited space. Up travel and sidewall are big drivers to ride quality on these trucks.

2016 Power Wagon
Ended with full Thuren catalog
Medium height front springs, tall rear springs, Airlift airbags/cradles, track bars F&R, Swaybar, King 3.0/2.5, 37s on 17s, regeared

Super predictable, firm on road, soaked up washboard and small whoops Offroad at speed, Swaybar made transitions awesome, rear Trackbar smoothed rear end out. Semi-regularly towed 7-9k super confidently and controlled with big shocks

2019 2500 CCSB Diesel
1” front lift, 1/2” lowering rear springs, Swaybar, airbags/cradles, Fox 2.0, 35x11.5x18s

Swaybar kept transitions good, springs maybe slightly softer than stock, did rear plus bags for adjustment and as soft as can be, but seemed to be on internal bumpstops and ramp rate when empty too quickly. 2.0 non Resi shocks aren’t enough to control that much truck weight. Very soft and wallowy feel over road bumps. Imo. Thought this was a decent alternative as truck was more towpig/road instead of do-it-all.

2009 QCLB Dually Flatbed

Swapped front spacers for Thuren 3” springs and Fox 2.0 Resi shocks on all corners, stock size tires, airbags and prob stock rear leaf springs

Springs and shocks made a big difference, soaked up road imperfections amazingly compared to spacers and Ranchos. Made truck driveable more often.

2018 3500 CCLB Diesel

Getting max height springs, full leaf springs/shackles, Swaybar, Trackbar, Fox 2.0 Resis, 35x11.5x20 to 37x12.5x17or18 likely. Hoping it’s a good match, but constantly looking at Kings again.
By ride quality, I mean not such an abrupt bang every time I hit a bumper or a frost heave. The front springs aren't too bad, and I might leave them stock and just change shock absorbers, but I want to soften up the rear end with Thuren springs and airbag helpers as well as shocks. Letting a bunch of air out of the tires helped tremendously, as it had 80 lb in all the tires when I got it.

As far as shock absorbers go, I learned from other posts that Ranchos suck, but Fox and Bilstein's aren't too bad. What are the King shocks that you mentioned on your power wagon? I really don't plan on doing any off-roading other then some mild driving through fields while hunting, but we're not going very fast then, either.

By the way, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my newbie questions!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Front is coil over the coils are small and would not fit at all. It would make more sense to run a full air rear setup

kevin588127

Reaction score
Tire pressure plays a big role in how these trucks ride. I have been running 50psi front and 45 psi rear on the factory 18" transforce HT. I was pretty happy with the ride. I had to tow my toy hauler home a few weeks ago and aired the rears up to 55psi for the extra load. I will be pulling again in a few weeks and decided to just leave them aired up. Rides like crap now.

Users who are viewing this thread