Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘21 68RFE Groan Noise

Reaction score
This may have been discussed before but couldn’t find anything recent.

I have noticed a Groan noise whenever I feather the throttle. It doesn’t matter if the transmission is warm or cold (hasn’t really gotten cold yet where I live).

Here is when it happens:

When driving at any speed around or under 45 mph, I hear a groan noise from under the truck when I let off the throttle to coast and lasts for a split second. Then when I slowly press the throttle to accelerate, I hear the noise again for a a split second. If I every so slightly hold the throttle just enough while coasting, the noise is constant. The noise can easily be reproduced.

I am not one to have the radio loud and a lot of times I have it turned down so I hear everything.

The split seconds don’t concern me as much as the constant Groan if I am approaching a slower vehicle and slowly let off the pedal and hold it there. I’ve found that just letting off the pedal altogether and let it coast and then pressing it again…not that bad.

I’ve read on other older forums that were posted with almost the exact same descriptions back in 2017 and they said it was normal.

Anyone have the same experience?

To me, it seems like maybe a torque converter since the noise seems to be coming from the from half of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjw2021

Reaction score
This may have been discussed before but couldn’t find anything recent.

I have noticed a Groan noise whenever I feather the throttle. It doesn’t matter if the transmission is warm or cold (hasn’t really gotten cold yet where I live).

Here is when it happens:

When driving at any speed around or under 45 mph, I hear a groan noise from under the truck when I let off the throttle to coast and lasts for a split second. Then when I slowly press the throttle to accelerate, I hear the noise again for a a split second. If I every so slightly hold the throttle just enough while coasting, the noise is constant. The noise can easily be reproduced.

I am not one to have the radio loud and a lot of times I have it turned down so I hear everything.

The split seconds don’t concern me as much as the constant Groan if I am approaching a slower vehicle and slowly let off the pedal and hold it there. I’ve found that just letting off the pedal altogether and let it coast and then pressing it again…not that bad.

I’ve read on other older forums that were posted with almost the exact same descriptions back in 2017 and they said it was normal.

Anyone have the same experience?

To me, it seems like maybe a torque converter since the noise seems to be coming from the from half of the truck.

I have the exact same issue. I have been told to give it more gas and not feather the throttle, but it’s inevitable at lower speeds. I haven’t been able to find any justification on this issue yet.

Reaction score
Is your exhaust brake on?

No, I use my exhaust break when towing. It sounds completely different and it is only when feathering the throttle unlike the exhaust break where it is on when I let off the throttle on Full Exhaust mode.

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue. I have been told to give it more gas and not feather the throttle, but it’s inevitable at lower speeds. I haven’t been able to find any justification on this issue yet.

Did your service depot dealer tell you this or someone else?

MtnRider

Reaction score
Hard to troubleshoot a noise over the internet but these trucks make all sorts of them. Probably nothing wrong with it and either way nothing you can do unless it throws a code (or dies completely). Dealer is just going to say it's normal and send you on your way. It could be just the torque converter unlocking as you decelerate?
Just drive it...

Reaction score
Hard to troubleshoot a noise over the internet but these trucks make all sorts of them. Probably nothing wrong with it and either way nothing you can do unless it throws a code (or dies completely). Dealer is just going to say it's normal and send you on your way. It could be just the torque converter unlocking as you decelerate?
Just drive it...

That’s what I’m thinking but was just seeing if others experienced this as well….just turn up that nice radio

Users who are viewing this thread