Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search results

1. Distillusion

EPA's 5-year investigation results on diesel pickups

Exactly. And the EPA is already wise to this. Part of my concern that not only the feds, but also the states will start enforcing harshly on owners. The CLean Air Act made it illegal to tamper with emission controls in 1963. Owners typically haven't been too concerned due to the lack of...
  2. Distillusion

PLEASE STOP POSTING THREAD TITLES AND TEXT IN ALL CAPS!

Disclaimer: Any CAPITALS or red that might be used in this post are for discussion purposes and should not be considered as shouting or impersonating of staff, they are merely provided as examples. It's funny how the "standard" has evolved. In the old days, computers were limited to caps...
  3. Distillusion

EPA's 5-year investigation results on diesel pickups

If you haven't seen it in the news recently, the EPA just completed a study on diesel truck emissions. The study covered medium and heavy duty trucks, 8,500 - 14,000 lb GVWR. The investigation is fallout from the 2015 VW Dieselgate. Findings published indicate that over half a million tons of...
  4. Distillusion

Stepping up from 1500 after less than a year

If you think you might down the road want to add any kind of extra systems like a compressor or off road lights that require a switch, I would highly recommend that you order or find a truck with the instrument panel auxiliary switches. It's a really cheap option, only $145. But adding it...
  5. Distillusion

Age Poll

Starting my 7th year in the military at that time.
  6. Distillusion

First time RAM Owner

This link usually works to see the original window sticker. Just add your VIN after the = sign at the end of the URL and paste the whole thing into your browser. That way you can see the original options. It works for 2019 and 2020, not sure about earlier years...
  7. Distillusion

AUH failures

You, a pilot? pffttt I've done weight and balance calcs a couple of thousand times when I was flying and load planning during my military days. The reason for that exercise is to determine the impact of weight on angular momentum (torque) around the weight centers of the plane. If you don't...
  8. Distillusion

AUH failures

You clearly don't have any understanding of math and physics. Especially if you don't understand even simple bridges. You just keep coming up with your own theories, though. Try 'splainin them to 2nd graders, cause they don't work here.
  9. Distillusion

12v power outlet

Yeah, it's not uncommon for wire to get a little warm under full rated load. Never hot, though. You might want to try screw-on lugs next time instead of crimp style lugs. Much easier to deal with, plus easy to change out. I have done the crimping, too, using a blunted chisel and hammer to...
  10. Distillusion

How to add 3rd brake light to a topper on 2020 2500?

Agreed. It's what I would do. And supply a kit with wire, instructions on where to connect, a bed-mounted jack for quick disconnect, and an optional adapter for those that might have in-bed trailer wiring.
  11. Distillusion

Age Poll

In Illinois it's 15 for farm kids, 14 for the learner's permit. But farm kids tend to start driving as soon as they can reach everything, just not on public roads. I was running tractors up and down the road at 12, though.
  12. Distillusion

AUH failures

Now you are conflating pin weight and momentum. Pin weight of a trailer will remain centered down on the pin. After all, it's gravity that's pulling it down, not the truck's driving. Momentum of the trailer mass is much greater than pin weight. In my example, you have 10k mass of the...
  13. Distillusion

AUH failures

Brutal, I would offer that I just used an imaginary trailer pin weight of 2,000 lbs. (20% of a hypothetical 10,000 lb trailer.) If I recall correctly, TFL used a higher actual pin weight of 3,000 lbs, so the effects of the calculation would be at least 50% higher. Wheelbase difference between...
  14. Distillusion

AUH failures

Your private theories of mathematics and physics defy all Newtonian laws. By your own definitions and theories, the weight of a diver standing on a diving board would cause torque backwards away from the pool. Bridges are not rigid bottomed lattices. They are designed with a certain amount...
  15. Distillusion

How to add 3rd brake light to a topper on 2020 2500?

I didn't want to do it, either. But I definitely wanted it up and out of the way. I did use tarp grommets in the holes to add strength around the holes and prevent future tearing. And stainless screws. I could have used magnets way up there, I guess. It's a good idea. You'd still have to...
  16. Distillusion

Age Poll

62. Started driving trucks at 8 yrs old in the field, just tall enough to reach the pedals and still see out the front window. One OK boomer sibling and two Gen X siblings. Joined the USMC at age 17. Retired from the military (Air Force, Air National Guard) at 38. Civilian career over much of...
  17. Distillusion

12v power outlet

A 2kw inverter will draw 167 amps minimum (typical 20% loss in the inverter, so you'd need 20% more, or around 200A total). To run 8' from your battery, you'd need a minimum of 1/0 gauge wire for both the hot and the ground. Not sure how long your truck battery would last supplying that. It's...
  18. Distillusion

AUH failures

By your own logic, the lattice to the front of the ball actually supports weight too. If it did not then it would have no purpose. But in reality, the weight if rigid will be centered where the ball is. If the tubing or welds used aren't strong enough, that's a real issue with the...
  19. Distillusion

AUH failures

As I said, the physics is more complex. Yes, you add more length to the fulcrum as you move rearward past the axle, but the bulk of that weight change is around the fulcrum of the front axle, not the rear axle. The frame and engine are levering down on the front of the truck. Wheelbase of the...