Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search results

1. techman

87 octane vs 89 octane, fuel economy differences

Can you quantify this? Do you have real world numbers or is this a seat of your pants evaluation?
  2. techman

87 octane vs 89 octane, fuel economy differences

Using a slow burn fuel or high(er) octane rated fuel has no more energy than fast burn low(er) octane. Octane is just a rating of gas stability or its detonation point. Use what the manual says....otherwise it is just a drag on your wallet.
  3. techman

Storing a Ram Cummins long term

Overinflate the tires to avoid flat spots. Inside or outside storage? You migh want to take anti-rodent measures too. 5 months isn't that long term in reality.
  4. techman

Extended warranty is it worth it?

I guess I will stick to my guns and say an extended warranty as a financial investment NEVER make sense. And if you bundle that warranty cost into a auto loan too.....ouch. I don't appreciate the sheeple crack...I never think in those terms. I am trying to educate, guide, and assist those...
  5. techman

Remember the day you took delivery and you went through all the delivery paperwork with or without a loan. Sitting there basking in the glow of finally getting the keys. THEN.....the finance guy pulls out the extended warranty info. He blathers on about how these are highly complicated...
  6. techman

Maximizing Credit Score before applying.

Credit cards are good for one thing only....free money for 30 days.
  7. techman

How so? Personal experience? In my experience the electronics in modern autos age-out but rarely break. Sensors go bad, sure, but hardly a bank buster. Several folks on this forum stare at their pretty 12" Uconnect screen just worrying about the day it goes blank. SMH.....
  8. techman

Nope. Take that money and put it in a CD. If you need a post factory warranty repair down the road you will have the funds plus interest to fix it. No warranty will do that for you.
  9. techman

Hit a deer

What hapened to the deer? I've hit a couple at relatively low speeds (minor damage, no airbags). They always get up and scamper off. Tough little suckers.
  10. techman

Navigating in your Ram

AA and GM for me....BUT occasionally I will use a good old fashion paper map like AAA provides. Certainly not when driving, but there is something retro-cool about unfurling one of those big maps and laying on the truck tail gate or center console and actually tactically following the route you...
  11. techman

New Power Wagon Owner A few questions

That is all I have ever used on my trucks (1/2 and 3/4). The BEST all around tire. Read the reviews. I know most folks like the agressive stuff to go with their agressive trucks, but for a great tire, Michelin is all I put on all my vehicles.
  12. techman

First Regen? New diesel owner

In the spirit of open friendly dialog, I am going to hijack the thread a bit, but I think it will benefit the OP. Can you be more specific? A period of time more or less than the factory recommended oil service interval? Again, can you be more specific? If a MIL is not showing, what should...
  13. techman

Don't over think it. Idling is completely fine and part of using your truck. Stop and go traffic...no problem. Warming it up on a chilly AM...no problem. Sitting in your running truck watching the sunset for 30 minutes not so much. Use your best judgement.
  14. techman

Do yourself a favor and IGNORE the DPF screen. Your truck owning life will improve 1000%. Don't idle it too long, use good quality diesel, and drive it!
  15. techman

Front End Vibration

Bent rim. Have you rotated the wheels from front to back?
  16. techman

6.7 differences 2018 vs 2022

I think you answered your own question and why are you moving on from the 2018? BTW my 22 with a 12" screen....no issues 12k miles.
  17. techman

What does the wife have to say about your Ram?

She loves OUR Ram and I would never refer to her as "the wife". Happily married for 27 years.
  18. techman

What advice would you give to a young version of yourself, if you were buying your first HD Diesel?

If you have towing and hauling needs that require capabilities and capacities of a 3/4 or 1 ton truck then diesel all the way. I wasted decades with a gas truck on parts, gas, and the occasional "oh crap" moment thinking it was "fine" at the limits. There is no question that any apples to...
  19. techman

How Hard Does a 6.7L Cummins Need to Be Worked To Avoid Issues?

IMHO the diesel particulate gauge should be removed. It is the source of more angst for new owners and a complete distraction from driving. If the truck has a problem during daily use it will let you know. Drive it, keep up with scheduled maintenance, and use good diesel and you will be fine.