Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cab noise.

jared43758

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how much a 2016 cab would be louder than the 19’s. On a diesel tradesman trim

Zrojas

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how much a 2016 cab would be louder than the 19’s. On a diesel tradesman trim

I have a 2016 Tradesman and a 2019 Laramie, both 3500s. My 2019 is considerably quieter in the cab. On the 2016, there seemed to be a lot of wind noise at the doors. I think the cab improvements in relation to noise is across all trims though.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
If you really were concerned about hearing the Hemi tick on a 2019, you will definitely here the clatter chatter of a diesel in a 2016.

As stated, my 2015 with the 392 Hemi is very quiet, but at highway speeds there is some wind noise from the door seals.

jared43758

Reaction score
If you really were concerned about hearing the Hemi tick on a 2019, you will definitely here the clatter chatter of a diesel in a 2016.

As stated, my 2015 with the 392 Hemi is very quiet, but at highway speeds there is some wind noise from the door seals.
Devil dodge u read what I say but I don’t think you understand it.
The 6.4 brand new ticking in startup with 20 miles, is not only a problem to me cause it sounds like a POS, weather it’s normal 6.4 behavior, a engine ticking
At startup is dry parts and I’m not comfortable investing 40k plus In a gas engine that ticks on start up. Has nothing to do with cab noise.
If you wanna stir , w/e, i’m no prima donna, cab noise has nothing to do with me. I have a special needs daughter that wouldn’t be able to handle long trips with a loud cab. I don’t wanna invest that kinda money and have her need to wear muffs if I don’t have too

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
And what I meant was, the diesel is much louder than the 6.4l Hemi. You have to remember some of that tic is from the fuel injectors as well. I have a 2015 6.4l, I had a 2013 Cummins.

I read what you said about your daughter. I have a friend with an autistic grandchild who rides with me often. The 2013 Cummins clatter chatter was more of a concern to him than the dual glasspacks on my 99 V10.

You asked a question. I may have misread your comment about the tic. I really thought you meant you could hear it from the cab.. the Cummins will be noisy.

Sorry, you misread mine too.

So point being...in the cab a 2016 Cummins will be louder than a 2016 Hemi.

With the questions you have asked on both forums I really made an assumption of your questions, and I will go with I was wrong.

Good luck with your search. If you need quiet the 2019 is going to be so much quieter than a 4th Gen anything.

Don-T

Reaction score
I had an ‘18 regular cab SLT with the Hemi. When it was cold, below 0*F it had the tick very loud. After about 20 seconds it went away. I now have a ‘19 Longhorn, much better insulated than an SLT, with the Cummins. The ‘19s have hydraulic lifters instead of solid and a number of other improvements. It is much quieter than previous years. I suggest, if you can, take a couple of ‘19 trucks on long test drives. Only you can decide if they are quiet enough.

Another thing to consider. Some of the ‘19s have microphones in the cab and noise canceling built into the sound system. This works great for some people, me included, but I have read of a couple of guys had it to have the microphones disabled because the noise canceling was causing headaches or something. The noise canceling may be a problem for your daughter.

Last edited:

jared43758

Reaction score
I had an ‘18 regular cab SLT with the Hemi. When it was cold, below 0*F it had the tick very loud. After about 20 seconds it went away. I now have a ‘19 Longhorn, much better insulated than an SLT, with the Cummins. The ‘19s have hydraulic lifters instead of solid and a number of other improvements. It is much quieter than previous years. I suggest, if you can, take a couple of ‘19 trucks on long test drives. Only you can decide if they are quiet enough.

Another thing to consider. Some of the ‘19s have microphones in the cab and noise canceling built into the sound system. This works great for some people, me included, but I have read of a couple of guys had it to have the microphones disabled because the noise canceling was causing headaches or something. The noise canceling may be a problem for your daughter.
Thanks for your reply. I have took test drives in both gas and diesel 19’s and they were great. The only reason I asked about the 4 gen by comparison is I have found several 4th gen at a big cost savings. I don’t tons of money so any new truck is hard to buy, but it sounds like I better get a 19

Users who are viewing this thread