Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max Tow Package

• Thread starter Deleted member 80
  • Start date

regal2800

Reaction score
The video they stated that in:

And an article that just came out that mentions it as well: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp28103469/chevrolet-silverado-hd-acceleration-vs-ram-3500/
I really dont understand what you are arguing. The HO 3500 comes with a AAM 12 rear end. I have one and so does everyone else with a HO 3500. It is listed on my build sheet. what other proof do you want? The disc size MAY be different on the max tow, but every HO 3500 SRW or DRW will have the aam 12 axle. That car and driver article is wrong.

Don-T

Reaction score
You can’t trust the videos. One or more of them also talk about and show the trailer tire pressure monitors as well as the camera on the trailer. They didn’t happen either.

archer75

Reaction score
You can’t trust the videos. One or more of them also talk about and show the trailer tire pressure monitors as well as the camera on the trailer. They didn’t happen either.
That’s different because ram said those were happening. And they’re still saying those are coming.

Last edited:

archer75

Reaction score
I really dont understand what you are arguing. The HO 3500 comes with a AAM 12 rear end. I have one and so does everyone else with a HO 3500. It is listed on my build sheet. what other proof do you want? The disc size MAY be different on the max tow, but every HO 3500 SRW or DRW will have the aam 12 axle. That car and driver article is wrong.
I wonder if your sheet could be wrong? Every site I can find reference to max tow all mention the axle. Every one.
Rams website is wrong on a number of things so it wouldn’t be a stretch that your sheet could be wrong. Since there’s conflicting info from a number of sources I’m just trying to figure it out. Perhaps pics of the different axles on the trucks.

regal2800

Reaction score
I wonder if your sheet could be wrong? Every site I can find reference to max tow all mention the axle. Every one.
Rams website is wrong on a number of things so it wouldn’t be a stretch that your sheet could be wrong. Since there’s conflicting info from a number of sources I’m just trying to figure it out. Perhaps pics of the different axles on the trucks.

I hope it is wrong because i want a rear locker and nobody makes one for the AAM 12. If i had the 11.5 i could drop in a ARB tomorrow.. But im pretty sure all HO engines get the AAM. I read that they added the aam 12 rear end to handle the torque of the HO cummins. The article below makes no mention of the max tow. And my build sheet says, and i quote "12" Single Rear wheel Axle". If there was a typo i dont think it would specifically mention the word "Single". The only way to really check would be to take the cover off and count the ring gear bolts or measure it.... I tried calling AAM to get more info from them and their customer service is non existent. If anyone finds any markings or tags i would be happy to check my axle for them.

regal2800

Reaction score
I found this pic on one of the other forums of the carrier on the aam 12. Doesn't help me identify much but maybe it could offer some clues to someone else. I dont remember the carrier on my 2016 ram 2500 being that big,
but it was a couple years ago last time i was in that rear axle....

archer75

Reaction score
I found this pic on one of the other forums of the carrier on the aam 12. Doesn't help me identify much but maybe it could offer some clues to someone else. I dont remember the carrier on my 2016 ram 2500 being that big,
but it was a couple years ago last time i was in that rear axle....
View attachment 476
Awesome! Thank you.

regal2800

Reaction score
So the AAM 11.5 has a axle tube diameter of 4” and the aam 12 has 4.25”. I measured the truck in my signature and it has exactly 4.25”. So the ho trucks do get the aam 12 axle regardless of whether it’s a drw or srw

thestuarts

Reaction score
So the AAM 11.5 has a axle tube diameter of 4” and the aam 12 has 4.25”. I measured the truck in my signature and it has exactly 4.25”. So the ho trucks do get the aam 12 axle regardless of whether it’s a drw or srw

I am glad you confirmed the SRW HO option comes with the AAM 12. I would love to know if the HO option also includes the larger 365mm brake rotors the chief engineer says are included in the max tow package. See

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Ok here's what I found out. Like others I purchased all the max tow requirements seperatly, not because I didn't want the 30 k fiver hitch but because I didn't want to finance it, also didn't need triangles An flares plus saved money to boot an paid 300 less cash for hitch. Anyway I did allot of research an nobody could answer the some question of do I have the 365 mm rear brakes. Finally i guess i found the right tech person at fca who asked for my vin. He then told me, yes you don't have the max tow pkg purchased on your order per say but you purchased all the requirements seperatly an your a HO HD DRW, so yes you do have the larger brakes of 365mm on the rear. My understanding in the end was that if you had the 3500 hd ho/w aisin an drw that you get the larger brakes on the 12 inch axle.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Also have to have 410 gear apparently. Here was my response from ram tech.

records indicate this vehicle was equipped from the factory with the following:
DF2 6-Spd Auto Aisin AS69RC HD Trans
DMF 4.10 Axle Ratio
DRC 12.0 Dual Wheel Rear Axle
ETM 6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel Eng

According to available information, this vehicle should be equipped with the following brake rotor sizes:
Front Brake Rotor Size: 360 x 39.0 mm (14.17 x 1.535 in.)
Rear Brake Rotor Size: 365 x 38 mm (14.37 x 1.50 in)

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Also have to have 410 gear apparently. Here was my response from ram tech.

records indicate this vehicle was equipped from the factory with the following:
DF2 6-Spd Auto Aisin AS69RC HD Trans
DMF 4.10 Axle Ratio
DRC 12.0 Dual Wheel Rear Axle
ETM 6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel Eng

According to available information, this vehicle should be equipped with the following brake rotor sizes:
Front Brake Rotor Size: 360 x 39.0 mm (14.17 x 1.535 in.)
Rear Brake Rotor Size: 365 x 38 mm (14.37 x 1.50 in)
Stumbled on to this thread while searching for something else, but thought I would share some updated info in case anyone else finds their way here...

There was, at one time, some back and forth confusion on this issue however I can confirm you do not need to have the max tow package (or all of the corresponding individual components) in order to have the 365mm rear brakes.

The only requirements are the HO engine / Aisin transmission and the DRW axle (in either 3.73 or 4.10 gear).

My 2022 3500 HO / Aisin has the 3.73 axle ratio and still has the Max Tow calipers and brake rotors, as they have the stickers on the calipers marked "MAX TOW". I found this out yesterday while trying to help someone find brake rotors for their truck. I was surprised to find the max tow calipers on my truck as I too had thought at one point those were an independent option reserved only for the max tow trucks (or HO DRW trucks with 4.10 ratio). As a secondary method of confirmation, I called my dealer and spoke with the parts manager whom I deal with regularly and trust. I gave him my VIN and asked him to provide me with the rear rotor part number that matches my VIN. That part number was 68290077AB. I then gave him a VIN for a 22 3500 HO DRW truck equipped with the max tow package (confirmed by checking window sticker and equipment listing) and asked him to give me the rear rotor part number. They were indeed the same.
image0.jpeg

Nick

Reaction score
So, I am still contemplating a 3500 Dually vs 4500 C&C. On the C&C builder when you click on Max Tow it spells out(attached)that the Aisin gets different calibration. On the pickup side of things it does not say the same. I emailed FCA, and they said, " while the drop down information tab does not generate on the 3500 model, the functionality and properties of this feature remains the same".

The reason I raise the question, is that the Max Tow on the pickups forces you into the Mopar fifth wheel hitch. First my current toyhauler, and flatbed are goosenecks, and I have no fifth wheel trailers, plus if I do get a fifth wheel I would prefer the B&W Companion for the factory puck system. So every dealer I ask says just cherry pick the gooseneck prep, 4.10 gears, etc, and it's all the same, but I am not so certain.

Any thoughts?View attachment 244
Unless things changed , I ordered the tow package and deleted the hitch since I already had one . You may want to look at that again .

jsalbre

Reaction score
Unless things changed , I ordered the tow package and deleted the hitch since I already had one . You may want to look at that again .
Deleted Member 80 isn’t likely to be around to respond to you.

BSN81

Reaction score
Never looked , no biggie .
Well I appreciate this info. After I ordered my DRW with the HO, I never selected the 4.10 rear as I didn't see that it was available. I have been wondering if this would affect me for towing but I don't want to cancel my order just for that reason. So thanks for the info. I feel better now.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I appreciate this info. After I ordered my DRW with the HO, I never selected the 4.10 rear as I didn't see that it was available. I have been wondering if this would affect me for towing but I don't want to cancel my order just for that reason. So thanks for the info. I feel better now.
Well you should have the max tow brakes and rotors, but unless you specified the 4.10 or ordered the max tow package, your truck will come with the 3.73. It’ll still be the 12” axle and bigger brakes that a max tow gets.

superjoe83

Reaction score
There isn't much difference between a 3.73/4.10 HO towing cap, my '22 HO 3.73 is 32,600lb max trailer, the same truck as a 4.10 would be a little over 34k

BSN81

Reaction score
There isn't much difference between a 3.73/4.10 HO towing cap, my '22 HO 3.73 is 32,600lb max trailer, the same truck as a 4.10 would be a little over 34k
Good to know. I'll be fine then. We will be towing a 5th wheel trailer. So we should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread