Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference between 2018 and 2019 - from a driver's perspective.

labjr1

Reaction score
I have a 2018 RAM SRW 3500 (HO Cummins, Aisin, Aftermarket 4.10 gears) that was supposed to be replaced with a new 2019 SRW 3500 today (HO Cummins, Aisin, 3.73 gears). Unfortunately the truck is coming from another dealership over 250 miles away and will not arrive until tomorrow. In the interim the dealership gave me a 2019 3500 DRW (Cummins, 68RFE, 3.73 gears) to drive as a loaner. Only 21 miles on it when I left the lot today. Imagine my shock to find the 2019 drives like a sports car in comparison to my 2018. It accelerates significantly faster and frankly seems amazingly more responsive. My 2018 seems sluggish in comparison - even the steering feels dramatically heavier on the 2018. Have they tuned the throttle response on the 2019's to make them feel more responsive? Have they modified the hydraulic steering assist to make the truck steer lighter? I was actually shocked at the difference. I am hoping it is not a 68RFE vs. Aisin difference because the 2019 is much more fun to drive and I am hoping my new truck feels as responsive tomorrow when I pick it up. Has anyone else noticed this difference?

D

Deleted member 80

From videos with Ram engineers, etc, yes the steering was revised, brake booster and pedal ratio was revised, and besides the higher ratings of the new Cummins, the driveline, at least on HOs was beefed up, and supposedly torque management is reduced/eliminated. In addition, the controller for the Aisin has twice the processing capacity. How much applies between the Std and HO, I don't know.

labjr1

Reaction score
From videos with Ram engineers, etc, yes the steering was revised, brake booster and pedal ratio was revised, and besides the higher ratings of the new Cummins, the driveline, at least on HOs was beefed up, and supposedly torque management is reduced/eliminated. In addition, the controller for the Aisin has twice the processing capacity. How much applies between the Std and HO, I don't know.
That explains much about the differences. Frankly I would not have believed the difference until I drove one but now I am thrilled to be trading my 2018 for a 2019. They are that much more fun to drive.

Last edited:

RamGuy84

Reaction score
I've test driven several 2019s now and own a 2018 3500 Cummins and I like the 2019 much more. Just wish it had a twin panel moonroof and flat floor in the rear. To be completely honest, having owned late models Ram HDs, driven several 2019 Ram HDs and owned a 2018 Ford Super Duty powerstroke, I did enjoy driving the Ford over any of the Rams. The Ford lacks in interior and usability, but it is fun to drive over a cummins. Again, all my opinion.

D

Deleted member 80

I've test driven several 2019s now and own a 2018 3500 Cummins and I like the 2019 much more. Just wish it had a twin panel moonroof and flat floor in the rear. To be completely honest, having owned late models Ram HDs, driven several 2019 Ram HDs and owned a 2018 Ford Super Duty powerstroke, I did enjoy driving the Ford over any of the Rams. The Ford lacks in interior and usability, but it is fun to drive over a cummins. Again, all my opinion.
How heavy do you pull?

D

Deleted member 80

Yes,
between 10k-13k. If this is in response to the Ford comment, the Ram handles the heavy load better than the ford. I was just saying just driving around, the Ford is better in my opinion, towing however it is is not.
Yes, that was where I was going. The rev happy V-8s feel zippy, and the Cummins is a tall-deck, long-arm, slow turning work engine. We are on the same page.

RamGuy84

Reaction score
Yes,

Yes, that was where I was going. The rev happy V-8s feel zippy, and the Cummins is a tall-deck, long-arm, slow turning work engine. We are on the same page.
My 2018 Ford Lariat was super fun like I said, also road very smooth. I really enjoyed the twin panel and not sure why the new Ram HDs don’t have that when the 1500s do. Lariat interior is subpar!

Users who are viewing this thread