Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airbags needed - or not?

labjr1

Reaction score
I had a 2017 RAM 2500 and it had to have airbags to level it to pull my 35' trailer with 2 Jeeps (17-18k total). I switched to a 2018 3500 (SRW) and the same trailer did not seem to squat the truck. I discovered this after I had already installed air bags thinking I needed them. Now I have switched to a 2019 3500 (SRW) and I am debating the need for air bags. When I read some of the forums people swear by them and say they are a "must have". Others swear the trucks were built to handle the loads and airbags are a waste of money. Of course while the new truck is loaded with options the elusive 2019 HD 3500 with the coveted load-leveling suspension was not part of the option package. Any thoughts on the need to run the 3500 SRW with air bags or not?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 80

The way I understand it, if you get the rear air the spring pack is reduced, so the empty ride is better, and the air bags compensate for the payload added. They work more in conjunction with the springs versus adding bags to a non-air truck. I just ordered a dually, and ordered the rear air susp.

Last edited by a moderator:

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've towed with about 4000# of pin wt with a dually and never felt the need for air bags. The truck sat level and drove well. Others hauled less and wanted bags. I think it boils down to what your comfort level is, but I think as long as the truck is level, there is no need for them.

labjr1

Reaction score
I've towed with about 4000# of pin wt with a dually and never felt the need for air bags. The truck sat level and drove well. Others hauled less and wanted bags. I think it boils down to what your comfort level is, but I think as long as the truck is level, there is no need for them.
Thank you!! that makes a lot of sense and corresponds to my experience with the 2018 3500 SRW.

Don-T

Reaction score
If you look at the payload stickers in driver door you will likely see the 3500 has about double the payload rating of the 2500. Unless you are way overloading the 3500 it doesn’t need the additional air bags. They are just one more thing to fail in the future, not to mention the money could be spent on other things.

labjr1

Reaction score
If you look at the payload stickers in driver door you will likely see the 3500 has about double the payload rating of the 2500. Unless you are way overloading the 3500 it doesn’t need the additional air bags. They are just one more thing to fail in the future, not to mention the money could be spent on other things.
Thank you!!! The helps confirm my decision. I should not be close to overloading the truck and will not get the air bags.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
BUT, I was told it’s going to ride a Lot smoother with them when your without a load!! Trying to decide same thing for me on the 3500 I’m ordering.

Don-T

Reaction score
In my opinion the truck with factory air rides better than a truck without factory air. To me it seems the truck without factory air bounces more likely because the of the leaf springs. I suggest you drive both empty to see what you think. I won’t have another truck without the factory air.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
In my opinion the truck with factory air rides better than a truck without factory air. To me it seems the truck without factory air bounces more likely because the of the leaf springs. I suggest you drive both empty to see what you think. I won’t have another truck without the factory air.
That’s what I like to hear. That’s the way I’m heading but having hard time finding a lot that has both to try.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I feel the benefits of the air suspension far outweigh not having it if you are able to option it.

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
That’s what I like to hear. That’s the way I’m heading but having hard time finding a lot that has both to try.

i never drove a 3500 with the rear air ride suspension, but i did test drive one without....and not even being a truck guy...i was completely fine with the ride. so, when it came time to submit my order, i just bit the bullet and did it. now, i have other resons as to why i'm getting that option...but, in terms of ride quality, if i was fine without it...how bad could it be with it?

maxsteel

Reaction score
One thing to note about factory rear air: the back of the truck sits lower than a typical 3500 and there are very limited (and expensive) options to raise it. If you don’t care about that, then it’s definitely the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread