Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets see what you are towing!

Zeroday

Reaction score
My fellow Leesburger, your post sounds a little judgmental. I look at things from my own perspective and knowing that life is temporary, I’m happy to be on this side of the dirt today. With regard to money, we’re sensible and live within our means but I make it, so I spend it on what I want. I do what makes me happy and wish others the best in doing the same.
Ooof, I didn't mean it that way at all, but you're right, it totally reads that way. This is more what I meant:

I don't have a lot of experience in buying and selling vehicles. I tend to buy and then hang on to until they return to dust (and then I don't know what to do with them other than give them away). I have limited data points from personal experience - the times I've bought used cars it seems the depreciation loss in that first year (or two) is large - I'm curious if there's something to it that I don't understand or know about, or tricks people use to keep in newer vehicles without inverting in value. It seems there are far more experienced people here, so that was more of my question - what's the trick? Or is there one? It was more a statement in awe, not judgement - I can't possibly judge, I've turned the money siphon on to the restoration of the car in my profile picture, and that will easily eclipse my Ram's cost probably before the thing is even made at this rate. It's going to hurt a lot to spend on these two vehicles now, but I'm doing it for that same reason, I can't take it with me and I'm not getting any younger.

So, in conclusion, very poorly worded, not meant in the way it reads, more just curiosity about what I'm missing.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
You’re good that’s what I said it’s the beauty of it.

I think everyone’s case is different and in some respect is what some folks like to do. In your case it’s a restoration (beautiful by the way), some it’s boats, some it’s hunting and fishing gear, shooting, some it’s motorcycles or super cars and others it’s RVs and airplanes.

It just comes down to what you are willing to trade and accept to pursue what you love to do. Some it’s money, others it’s time, others it’s a lot of time and money. Personally I have traded out several vehicles. For me I love trying different brands and different different features. Right when I think I am winding down BOOM something catches my eye. I am willing at that time to accept my losses and give it a whirl. Full disclosure my fords were both lemons and my 17 megacab had some serious concerns so those were dumped quickly.

Got any photos of that car you can share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
NordicNevs summarized it pretty well, no harm done, you’re good. You are correct, you normally lose but not always. Start with the understanding a car is a bad investment, it’s stamped sheet metal that rusts ands depreciates. I’m getting old but grateful considering the alternative... and have traded cars a lot over my life, mostly out of necessity. I was fortunate to have a really cool late cousin who was successful in the business and he taught me a few things - don‘t trade... if you do buy straight, don’t be emotional - be willing to walk away, and if there’s a deal today there will be a deal tomorrow.. somewhere.

I also love trying different brands, I put a lot of miles on my cars and look for new technology and performance for the next one. I keep coming back to Ram even though my 2017 Limited 2500 CTD was plagued with engine problems. By contrast I wanted to be buried in my 2013 Longhorn 1500 I loved it that much. I love cars and trucks, and have other interests that compete too.

I also really like the car in your avatar. I can’t tell if it’s a charger or roadrunner but the body is essentially the same from 68 - 70. My retirement goal is to own a 1970 model RoadRunner or GTX. My wife is a car chick and her dream is to own a candy apple red 1970 Chevelle. Good luck with your restoration and I would be interested in pics too if you have any.

orlando bull

Reaction score
Ooof, I didn't mean it that way at all, but you're right, it totally reads that way. This is more what I meant:

I don't have a lot of experience in buying and selling vehicles. I tend to buy and then hang on to until they return to dust (and then I don't know what to do with them other than give them away). I have limited data points from personal experience - the times I've bought used cars it seems the depreciation loss in that first year (or two) is large - I'm curious if there's something to it that I don't understand or know about, or tricks people use to keep in newer vehicles without inverting in value. It seems there are far more experienced people here, so that was more of my question - what's the trick? Or is there one? It was more a statement in awe, not judgement - I can't possibly judge, I've turned the money siphon on to the restoration of the car in my profile picture, and that will easily eclipse my Ram's cost probably before the thing is even made at this rate. It's going to hurt a lot to spend on these two vehicles now, but I'm doing it for that same reason, I can't take it with me and I'm not getting any younger.

So, in conclusion, very poorly worded, not meant in the way it reads, more just curiosity about what I'm missing.

Just to add to what others have already said... I have been on a bad run lately, had a 98, 04, 10, 13, 16, and now 19. My 2010 was 4x2 and I got stuck once, couldn't go on like that. My 13 was great, but, had a kid, started looking at large SUVs, for some reason got in an F150 (when I was supposed to be looking at Expedition), interior was larger, decided that could be workable for the family vehicle. Hated the ford, got an RV, needed an HD truck, so, happily got back into a smaller cab RAM.

In any event, there are other differences in buying new vs used... manufacturer incentives come off of the price, also, if financing, usually a way lower interest rate. I don't feel like I have done too bad on the trucks I kept 3+ years. The Ford was painful. I bought it in Feb 2017 and ordered my RAM in Feb 2019. I don't feel like I got a great deal on the Ford, fortunately, I did have 0% interest, so, I had paid it down pretty good before trading. Obviously, the best financial decisions were the ones I kept for 6 years. The 3 year trucks weren't terrible though.

I'll throw one more thing in for trade vs selling... For me... I got $35k for my trade. In Florida, you don't pay sales tax on the trade value, so, at 6.5%, so, by trading, I saved $2275 in sales tax. So, I would have had to sell for $37,300 to break even on the deal. It may have been possible, but, that was about the top end for what I was seeing for comparable trucks. So, I chose to trade and avoid the hassle of selling, and possibly not timing it right for when my new truck would be delivered and being without a vehicle for a bit. Every situation is different, but, that is what worked for me.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Had a good tow this weekend
ca17b71d739a7d452b56c58fa331dcd6.jpg

824da60b8a46b26afc1983676fddc9ea.jpg

0eb85115ac38d7aeee3b7cbb9e5d42fc.jpg

That driver seat photo is on a downhill 8%r

Huskerz1

Reaction score
Had a good tow this weekend
ca17b71d739a7d452b56c58fa331dcd6.jpg

824da60b8a46b26afc1983676fddc9ea.jpg

0eb85115ac38d7aeee3b7cbb9e5d42fc.jpg

That driver seat photo is on a downhill 8%r

Good lookin setup. I would like to see what your goose ball your using and your Reese goosebox on the 5th. I too have the Mega Cab. Any clearance issues?

Last edited:

geektoad

Reaction score
Good lookin setup. I would like to see what your goose ball your using and your Reese goosebox on the 5th. I too have the Mega Cab. Any clearance issues?

I'm using the B&W 30k OEM gooseneck ball kit. I like that the lock/release is a separate handle, rather than in the middle of the ball itself. that and the reese goosebox is a killer setup.

IMG_3144.jpg

I've got an 8ft bed so i can't speak to the clearance question

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Thanks all. Clearance isn’t an issue but I can still turn sharper and any bumper pull I have had so I am content. Not 90° but 80° on perfectly level roadways. Add any articulation and it can take away from that radius.

I run the same set up as above.

After towing this thing over 600 miles with the set up I am very happy with it and I have had B&W companions in the past and I was done with the heavy hit hitches.

geektoad

Reaction score
Thanks all. Clearance isn’t an issue but I can still turn sharper and any bumper pull I have had so I am content. Not 90° but 80° on perfectly level roadways. Add any articulation and it can take away from that radius.

I run the same set up as above.

After towing this thing over 600 miles with the set up I am very happy with it and I have had B&W companions in the past and I was done with the heavy hit hitches.

Amen. my last set up was a companion slider, and it was a great, well built hitch, but dang it was heavy.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
Well, I had to do some work on my driveway up the country and wanted to save a trip charge on a dump truck to bring me out some gravel, So I went and picked up some gravel myself, about 6.5 tons on each trip (Tried to get then to load me with another ton or two be the said their Insurance would let them seeing I'm a private individual). The trailer had 2 8k axles under it. I didn't have a dump trailer so I built a ramp out of the gravel on the first trip and used my small Loader Backhoe to scoop it out..

With the trailer loaded I almost couldn't feel the trailer behind me and stopping was no problem either. Here are just a few pictures and a copy of their Scale Ticket from the first trip I made.

Attachments

• 20200601_130937.jpg
    20200601_130937.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20200601_132448.jpg
    20200601_132448.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200601_133743.jpg
    20200601_133743.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 20200601_132756.jpg
    20200601_132756.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 20200601_132821.jpg
    20200601_132821.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20200601_132838.jpg
    20200601_132838.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200601_132941.jpg
    20200601_132941.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 20200601_165639.jpg
    20200601_165639.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 20200601_165704.jpg
    20200601_165704.jpg
    667.5 KB · Views: 97

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
:eek:

You're that guy?

How large was the trail of gravel on the road?

Did ya get any windshields, or just painted bumpers?

Or do you have a smaller screen covering that gate?

1FastHemi

Reaction score
:eek:

You're that guy?

How large was the trail of gravel on the road?

Did ya get any windshields, or just painted bumpers?

Or do you have a smaller screen covering that gate?

The rocks are very heavy for their size and the mix I got makes them somewhat sticky, and this trailer rides very smooth and doesn't bounce things around (The tires were at 70psi instead of 90psi). It takes a lot to blow them out and the rocks were larger than the holes in the tail gate.. I also went around and knocked all the loose one's off that may have been a problem after I pushed them back away from the edges first before I got on the road.. Over here they aren't that picky on tarps/covering unless you are on the intrastate . I stayed on small back roads and didn't go over 30 mph. If you enlarge the pictures you won't see a trail behind me.

I didn't hold you up driving to slow did I ? If I did, you should have left sooner... LOL :cool:

LamboTexas

Reaction score
Well, I had to do some work on my driveway up the country and wanted to save a trip charge on a dump truck to bring me out some gravel, So I went and picked up some gravel myself, about 6.5 tons on each trip (Tried to get then to load me with another ton or two be the said their Insurance would let them seeing I'm a private individual). The trailer had 2 8k axles under it. I didn't have a dump trailer so I built a ramp out of the gravel on the first trip and used my small Loader Backhoe to scoop it out..

With the trailer loaded I almost couldn't feel the trailer behind me and stopping was no problem either. Here are just a few pictures and a copy of their Scale Ticket from the first trip I made.
Awesome! That’s why we buy a truck!

BGaero

Reaction score
Our 2019 RAM 2500 6.4 and 2019 Airstream 27’ Globetrotter will be seeing more travel this year - my last day in the office is April 3 after 36 years with the company. Made a run to Colorado last August and Door County, WI in October. The combo did great.

View attachment 3027View attachment 3028View attachment 3029
View attachment 2588
46 ft. DRV JX450 toy hauler, Andersen hitch.

I want the Anderson but I am just having a hard time convincing myself it’ll hold up in an accident.

Users who are viewing this thread