Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why level your truck?

Heckyl

Reaction score
I know lots of folks level trucks, but don’t get it. I do understand that in order to get bigger tires it is sometimes required for clearance so they don’t rub, but why not then lift the rear the same amount. I have seen lifted trucks going down the road with a load with the rear sagging because they started with a level truck. Looks like a dog with its tail between its legs to me. I know everyone has their own personal preferences, but do the people with leveled trucks not plan on using them to haul? I’ve got to be missing something?

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I know lots of folks level trucks, but don’t get it. I do understand that in order to get bigger tires it is sometimes required for clearance so they don’t rub, but why not then lift the rear the same amount. I have seen lifted trucks going down the road with a load with the rear sagging because they started with a level truck. Looks like a dog with its tail between its legs to me. I know everyone has their own personal preferences, but do the people with leveled trucks not plan on using them to haul? I’ve got to be missing something?
Yes, leveling your truck takes out the engineered rake of your truck to compensate for load. It is there so when you load your truck your headlights stay aimed properly and for control.

The level is for the look, but does help with larger tires...also just for looks at that point as it doesn't offer more actual clearance.

Fords are the worst. When they are lifted and leveled...when the load is applied the headlights point to the sky.

It is purely personal,but i prefer the rake of a truck. To level it, use it to haul something.

But, then, look at how many HD trucks never had a hitch in the reciever or rocks in the bed.

My opinion.

Zinga

Reaction score
...but do the people with leveled trucks not plan on using them to haul? I’ve got to be missing something?
I haven't seen the word "leveled" used so much until I started reading about Ram trucks on the ram forums. I think it's an obsession and for some reason, there's an unusually high number of level-obsessed Ram owners. If I lived next to a level obsessed ram owner, I'd pay people to admire their trucks and then ask the owners if they're ever going to level the truck. Can you imagine spending month after month, paycheck after paycheck, trying to "level" the truck, and then be asked, over and over, by strangers if you're going to "level" the truck? LOL. Their brains would pop.

Motoman501

Reaction score
I leveled my 2015 and loved the way it looked until I hooked up my travel trailer. Like previously stated I can't stand the look of trucks that are towing with the rear ends sagging. I ended up having to install airbags for towing. With my new 2019 I'm leaving it alone. With the same travel trailer hooked up I'm about perfectly level and the truck drives great.

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
They don't call them COMPENSATORS for nothing :eek: :D The women all know what I'm talking about!

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Honestly, most time is spent with truck unloaded with towing use being much less And with varying loads. If memory serves me correctly, didn’t ram have a factory level kit? I put a bilstein kit in mine and prefer the look. Most of my towing is daytime either with gooseneck/tractor or dump trailer. My 01 3500 squats under load too.....but that’s a different animal that is usually pushing the limits.It’s got a 12ft stake bed with shingle ladder setup. Bottom line, we as Americans, still have a few freedoms left and I am with each individual‘s choices with personalizing their vehicles. My opinion is just my own. If you like it, do it.

EGT75

Reaction score
I did not seek to level my Ram 2500 because I bumper tow a trailer but I did want a better ride. Thuren Fabrication offers 1 inch taller but 26% softer front springs. I went for the entire custom suspension kit including King 2.5 shocks. Unfortunately, the truck sat slightly nose high by 1/2 inch after installation. My 2500 has the auto-leveling rear airbag option. Discovered that I could replace the auto leveling air bag sensor link with a Thuren longer replacement link ($20) that causes the airbags to lift the rear 1 inch more. Now if I push the Alternative Tow Height button, the rear drops to basically to level for when I am not towing.

Revel makes an adjustable sensor link that you could also use to balance the truck airbags if they seem out of level. These cost more than the Thuren.

offroadr

Reaction score
I did not seek to level my Ram 2500 because I bumper tow a trailer but I did want a better ride. Thuren Fabrication offers 1 inch taller but 26% softer front springs. I went for the entire custom suspension kit including King 2.5 shocks. Unfortunately, the truck sat slightly nose high by 1/2 inch after installation. My 2500 has the auto-leveling rear airbag option. Discovered that I could replace the auto leveling air bag sensor link with a Thuren longer replacement link ($20) that causes the airbags to lift the rear 1 inch more. Now if I push the Alternative Tow Height button, the rear drops to basically to level for when I am not towing.

Revel makes an adjustable sensor link that you could also use to balance the truck airbags if they seem out of level. These cost more than the Thuren.

Thanks for that info

Squatch

Reaction score
I leveled mine cause I like the look better, and air bags take care of more than just that ass sag. I think the rake looks like garbage, so to each their own.

JC16

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Anyone has an idea about the max tire size on factory suspension (no leveling, no lifting)

2019 3500 DRW Tradesman

thank you in advance.

Pnoman

Reaction score
35x11.50 or equivalent, I’m running 295/60R20 in winter and 295/65R20 in summer stock 2019 Limited

3500MEGAHO

Reaction score
I will be doing a Carli suspension on my truck. With the full leafs. I am getting a 3500 this weekend, only because I want an Aisin trans. I really only need a heavy 1/2 ton truck. My 2006 ram 1500 pulled and carried everything I ever needed. But I want a Cummins. I want an Aisin trans, and I want a nice ride. So I’m getting what I want. I like a leveled look. And after the suspension is in, it should be close to level. And again it’s what I want and my money, so I’ll have it.

Dwilly

Reaction score
I'll likely never have anything heavier than a quad in my bed so the factory rake is excessive for me at 2.75 inches. 1 inch would be more than enough. Thuren explains it best in his video on YouTube. Slight rake is very desirable compared to completely dead level.

Users who are viewing this thread