Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***BEWARE*** Corrupt tune for 5th gen Ram with Cummins

Rhaug300

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 2500 Limited with the 6.7L Cummins. The day after I purchased the truck I order the full 4" straight pipe delete kit, AFE intake, EZ Lynk tune with GDP tunes pre-loaded, EGR valve and cooler delete kit and 24" Hartes wheels. I am a finatic about my truck being the best looking, performing and sounding it can be. Well, after doing about 6 months worth of research and watching no less than about 150 videos, I decided to change from the GDP switch on the fly 0-150hp tune to the one from Optimal Welding in British Columbia. I was fairly satisfied with the GDP tune but felt like there was a lot more I could get out of a tune for my truck. There just wasn't much of the "seat of the pants" difference with the GDP tune.

So about 5 days after I paid almost $1,000 for JUST THE TUNE, I had to reach back out to Optimal to have them actually upload the tunes on to my programmer. They had forgotten to do it I guess. I was like all giddy like a school girl and ran out to program my truck. I sat in the truck in 80 degree weather, sweating my face off and watched to make sure every single step was followed perfectly. I didn't even allow my phone screen to dim into the power saving mode while it was programming. Once finished, I cranked my truck up and the idle was up and down and up and down and up and down (surging) for about 4 cycles and then stalled out. I started it again and the same thing only it cut off sooner. I reprogrammed it again to one of their tunes that does not utilize the SOFT switch because they told me that the GDP switch wasn't compatible (despite the fact that it is EXACTLY the same switch, from the same manufacturer). Once the second tune was finished being installed I cranked it up again. It started and idled fine for about 3-4 seconds and stalled. After about an hour and a half of trying every tune they had for my truck, the truck would not stay running for any of the tunes.

I then installed their Return To Stock program and then returned to the GDP program that I knew worked perfectly for the last 4 months and guess what? No start. No crank, NOTHING. I was on the phone with Optimal and the guy there said he did some searching and had the exact same problem with 2 other 5th gen RAM trucks THAT DAY!!! He then asked me to run the DTC codes. I am a mechanic by trade so I know a little bit about running and reading codes. There were 2 new codes I had never seen. U1517, a code for no communication with sunroof (I don't have a sunroof) and C2202 which is a VIN mismatch between the ECM and the ABS or TCS module/computer. Long story short, Optimal, while yes they were trying to be helpful during the 2-3 hours of this ordeal, sent out a bad tune for the 5th gen RAMs. Their tune bricked my ECU. It is now at the dealer now and they are going to TRY to reflash the ECM, BCM, ABS and TCM modules with factory files. Then I will have to go install the GDP tune again in order to get it to start because all the emissions equipment has been removed. When I asked Optimal what help they were willing to offer me about the $370 tow bill, the $750 bill from the dealership, plus the $1000 I paid to them for a bad tune, they said it wasn't there fault and they couldn't do anything. Yes I am incredibly pissed about it but I joined this forum for the simple fact that I do not want anyone else to go through this with their truck. STAY AWAY FROM OPTIMAL WELDING'S TUNES on the 5th gen RAMs.

BTW, if anyone knows of a tune that will get me more power than the GDP tune, please let me know.

Attachments

• Optimal welding.jpg
    Optimal welding.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 61

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
TL;DR

Everyone knows Optimal has zero customer support, their tunes are crap, and he doesn't stand behind them when things go sideways.

Had the OP done as much research as claimed, he would know this. Sorry for your troubles.

Stay stock, stay worry free.

Firebird

Reaction score
TL;DR

Everyone knows Optimal has zero customer support, their tunes are crap, and he doesn't stand behind them when things go sideways.

Had the OP done as much research as claimed, he would know this. Sorry for your troubles.

Mine will stay stock, tows my camper beautifully!

Lift89

Reaction score
Man I can’t tell you how many people I’ve tried to steer clear of his tunes. I had them for over a year. Hated them. Changed to the legend DRD and have never looked back.

The tunes I have now are effing amazing. Great power and his trans tuning is on POINT. Optimal has no clue how to tune. He CAN tune, but they are straight garbage!

GDP is decent, but still no match for DRD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lift89

Reaction score
TL;DR

Can’t tell you how many people I’ve tried to help stay clear of optimals. It sucks. But we all learn. I changed after he tried to write 10 tunes just to get my rail pressure right, I said nope, I’m done. Going with a Well known legend in the game of tuning Cummins.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
we ran the O tune for one start up, on one truck. immediately removed.

Rhaug300

Reaction score
Can’t tell you how many people I’ve tried to help stay clear of optimals. It sucks. But we all learn. I changed after he tried to write 10 tunes just to get my rail pressure right, I said nope, I’m done. Going with a Well known legend in the game of tuning Cummins.

So in all of this forum's member's wisdom, what is the best tune for performance and towing for my 2019 Ram 2500? Like I said before, I have the GDP on it now and there is a difference over stock but not nearly as much as I had expected or hoped for. When I tuned my bulletproofed 6.4L F350, it was literally like going from the performance of a Ford Focus to that of a Dodge Viper with literally just a tune. Suggestions?

And yes, I know we shouldn't delete our diesel trucks, but I like getting significantly better MPG, performance and engine longevity. I always keep the stock stuff and put it back to stock before I sell it.

Lift89

Reaction score
So in all of this forum's member's wisdom, what is the best tune for performance and towing for my 2019 Ram 2500? Like I said before, I have the GDP on it now and there is a difference over stock but not nearly as much as I had expected or hoped for. When I tuned my bulletproofed 6.4L F350, it was literally like going from the performance of a Ford Focus to that of a Dodge Viper with literally just a tune. Suggestions?

And yes, I know we shouldn't delete our diesel trucks, but I like getting significantly better MPG, performance and engine longevity. I always keep the stock stuff and put it back to stock before I sell it.

Well the 6.4 you can’t compare to Cummins really. With a simple tune the 6.4 is FAST. Performance and Towing really shouldn’t go together. You either want tune for towing OR performance. Can’t and shouldn’t really do both, that’s how shizzzz breaks.

Lift89

Reaction score
Put it back to stock. Stock tends to work just fine.

Lame. You’re no fun. Stock is not fine once you get good tuning and a revmax valve body. The towing and drivability is way cooler.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Man I can’t tell you how many people I’ve tried to steer clear of his tunes. I had them for over a year. Hated them. Changed to the legend DRD and have never looked back.

The tunes I have now are effing amazing. Great power and his trans tuning is on POINT. Optimal has no clue how to tune. He CAN tune, but they are straight garbage!

GDP is decent, but still no match for DRD.

DRD tunes are almost as bad as optimal plus his service is junk…

Lift89

Reaction score

I think your just a troll on here at this point man. Not sure who tunes your ****, but DRDs tunes are great. Hints to why he’s a Revmax and Randy’s transmissions approve tuner. With all my mods it only took him 1 tune to get my truck running amazing. Saying what you just said is laughable. I’ve had both tunes, and I can tell you you don’t know what you’re talking about. My truck has never run better than it has now. Pids, pressures, temps, shifting, mpg, no smoke, way more power than optimals. He doesn’t tune for all out Horse power and burn outs. He tunes for the people who want to get more power while maintaining reliability, drivability and have a better experience while towing.

Yes there are other good tuners out there who can tune for HEAVILY modded trucks. But that’s not what he’s known for. So troll on know it all.

Lift89

Reaction score

Literally call revmax and tell them you are using Ray with DRD and they will tell you, “oh yea you’re in good hands with him when it comes to tuning transmissions”. But to each is his own, go with who you want. I bet I’ll still be on the road while most of you will be in the shop repairing and replacing parts regularly.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I think your just a troll on here at this point man. Not sure who tunes your ****, but DRDs tunes are great. Hints to why he’s a Revmax and Randy’s transmissions approve tuner. With all my mods it only took him 1 tune to get my truck running amazing. Saying what you just said is laughable. I’ve had both tunes, and I can tell you you don’t know what you’re talking about. My truck has never run better than it has now. Pids, pressures, temps, shifting, mpg, no smoke, way more power than optimals. He doesn’t tune for all out Horse power and burn outs. He tunes for the people who want to get more power while maintaining reliability, drivability and have a better experience while towing.

Yes there are other good tuners out there who can tune for HEAVILY modded trucks. But that’s not what he’s known for. So troll on know it all.

I’m confused. You and the OP clearly had a bad experience with Optimals tunes and that was A ok to express here. Clearly H3LZsniper (sorry it’s too hard to spell) had a bad experience with DRD but that’s not ok to express? Sounds like fanboy nonsense… I’m sure others have had great experiences with Optimal as well since he’s clearly still in business?

But what do I know - all I have is a lowly Hemi… I must be a troll too…

Lift89

Reaction score
I’m confused. You and the OP clearly had a bad experience with Optimals tunes and that was A ok to express here. Clearly H3LZsniper (sorry it’s too hard to spell) had a bad experience with DRD but that’s not ok to express? Sounds like fanboy nonsense… I’m sure others have had great experiences with Optimal as well since he’s clearly still in business?

But what do I know - all I have is a lowly Hemi… I must be a troll too…

That’s why my other post was a “to each his own”. Maybe some do and don’t like optimals. And maybe some do and don’t like DRD. I’ve had both and I am only speaking from experience. First hand experience with 10 of optimals tunes and they all sucked. It took 1 tune for DRD and my truck was running like it should (in my opinion). So that’s all I have to go off of.

DRD has been great for me and has helped anytime I have a question. I’m a little bias in the fact that yea, my truck wasnt running right for over a year, so when I find someone that can actually make the truck run good, then ya, I got a little excited. It was mainly the trans tuning for me. My truck finally shifts like it should.

So hey, it’s all good, just get frustrated that he comments on every single post telling people how wrong they are ALL the time. And believe me, I’ve seen some things he’s posted that are pretty eye rolling.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Literally call revmax and tell them you are using Ray with DRD and they will tell you, “oh yea you’re in good hands with him when it comes to tuning transmissions”. But to each is his own, go with who you want. I bet I’ll still be on the road while most of you will be in the shop repairing and replacing parts regularly.

He may be good for you aslong as you are paying for igottacummins membership (that form is a joke aswell) then as soon as you are not a member he completely ignores you… we have 3 trucks we had his tunes on after a bunch of trys he could not get it right so we were forced to go to another tuner…

There are plenty of other reviews stating the same thing elsewhere and if you get caught talking bad about his tunes they will ban you from igotacummins forum regardless that you paid for a membership Ray has a cult following thats it.

John Jensen

Reaction score

Interesting that with your 134 posts you have the experience to call H3LZSN1P3R with his 4.993 posts a troll.
Instead of accusing, you might want to listen and learn somethings.

Users who are viewing this thread