Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First oil change and engine developed a loud clatter/ticking noise at 1500+ rpms

RammingSince91

Reaction score
I took in my 2021 2500 CTD limited for its first oil change last weekend. Couple hours later the dealer calls me saying its ready. Came in and picked up my truck. Fast forward to today (Tuesday), I noticed some weird noises coming from the engine. Only does it in neutral or park when giving it throttle a bit at around 1800-2200 rpm. It's like a metallic rattle noise but it sounds harsh especially when warmed up. I called the dealer and made an appointment to bring it in on Monday, almost a week from now (earliest they have available).

I parked the truck and let it sit for a minute and checked the oil. The oil is registering at the bottom of the dipstick so it's clearly low on oil... I've driven the truck little over 100 miles since the oil change.

Going to take it back to the service department tomorrow morning to show them their screw up.

After hearing some stories of dealerships, they will never take fault for their screw up and will most likely say nothing is damaged.

Any advice?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Also make sure they didn't put 15W40 oil in it. Big no-no.

FWIW, A Cummins ISB 5.9L or 6.7L takes 12 qts (3 gallons). No more, no less. 1qt in the filter, 11 in the pan. Always has, likely always will.

Problem is, fast lube places including the dealer are filling from a 55 gal drum and a hose.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Was the truck cold after started/parked before you checked the level? If my old Cummins was cold it would take dang near 10 minutes for the oil to drain to the pan and get a good reading? When hot 30 seconds was sufficient for an accurate reading.

My 01 took 11 to the top of the middle of the stick. If I put in a full 12 the breather would smoke like a freight train too….

Linked4door

Reaction score
FWIW, According to the owners manual you should let it get to operating temp and then let it sit for 30 min before you check the level. Oil level could be a lot higher than you think if you didn't let it sit long enough.

Attachments

• 20220409_231336.jpg
    20220409_231336.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 41

jetrinka

Reaction score
FWIW, According to the owners manual you should let it get to operating temp and then let it sit for 30 min before you check the level. Oil level could be a lot higher than you think if you didn't let it sit long enough.
The reverse. May be lower if you didn’t let it sit enough

BAT3500

Reaction score
These motors trap and hold a lot of oil in the upper parts when running that takes quite a long time to drain down to pan. If checked first thing in the morning before engine is run, you will normally see dipstick readings at completely full or even overfull. But if checked after running for a while with minimum cool down you might scare yourself into believing it is out of oil. Under normal circumstances i usually only check the oil when the motor is stone cold.

RammingSince91

Reaction score
My dumb mistake. I had checked it when the engine was hot still. I let it sit overnight and checked it this morning and its at the correct level.

Started the truck this morning and when revving it to 1700 rpm (when engine is cold) the tick/rattle was gone. Shortly after 5-10 minutes of the engine warming up it starts to tick. Gets alittle louder the hotter the engine gets.

I found a youtube video with a similar issue someone was having in their 5th gen and all the comments were saying they were having similar issues after their first oil change from the dealer. The dealers use Rotella oil from what I understand.

The truck drives fine with no CEL and all the power is there. Just a medium to loud ticking noise when the truck is in park or neutral and revving it a bit.

Usually I would never go to the dealer for oil changes on any of my previous cars. Only reason I did with this truck is because its my first brand new vehicle and didn't want them to have any excuse to void warranties or tell me its not covered because of this and that and wrong oil was used etc...

Made an apointment with the dealer on Monday and see how it goes. Will update when I hear more.

Cseybert

Reaction score
Just curious don’t hate me have you ever owned a diesel before?

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Edited the thread name as it was my mistake for checking the oil when engine was hot. The dealer did fill to correct oil level.

Took my truck into my local Dodge dealer.

They called me 2 hours later saying the recalls were done and the tech was not able to replicate the sound. I told them I could come down and show the technician the sound its making, it's pretty loud.

Before I headed down there, they called me saying, "No need for me to come down. The technician test drove the truck again and heard the clattering type sound. We will need to keep the truck for a couple days as we need to tear apart the motor to locate the problem."

I'm thinking it's most likely the lifters not liking the oil that was used. I know these are hydraulic lifters and cannot be adjusted.

Will update when I hear more.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Yikes I'd be mad if they were going deep into the engine on such a new truck.

Cseybert

Reaction score
What did they put in it. Hopefully not 1540

RammingSince91

Reaction score
Quick update:

Called the dealer today for an update. They said the Tech told them they have to pull the transmission out to pinpoint the sound, claims the noise is coming from the transmission.

Just posting updates as this goes on as it may help another person if they have a similar issue in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread