Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent content by AF_Hemi

1. A

5th Wheel brakes SUCK! Help please.

Tell that to the factory. I (probably like you) have never used the grease zerk. I repack and inspect the bearings annually.
  2. A

It's something I've suspected for a while, just haven't been at a place I could dig in and look.
  3. A

Found the problem. Someone needs to lose their job. Unbelievable.
  4. A

Unless I did it wrong, I did this. I basically just drug the brake until they each got 350-400 degrees and were smoking.
  5. A

Thanks for the detailed response. Some great info here. I agree that breakaway should lock them up. They will lock hard enough to not be able to turn by hand (the rear axle anyway, the front I can still barely turn). Wires are all white. Coming from the truck is the blue trailer brake...
  6. A

For anyone still willing to offer some advice, here's an update: I replaced the trailers 7-pin connector to a Pollack single pin (new style as called for in the Ram TSB). I adjusted all 4 brakes to have a minor rub when no brakes are engaged The system has 1.2 ohms of resistance as measured...
  7. A

I checked the ground connection where the 7-pin connects with the trailer brake ground up in the kingpin. When testing the power at the brakes I used both the ground wire and a separate ground screw and both had the same reading.
  8. A

If you've got a couple thousand dollars extra if gladly upgrade. But in the meantime, I have what I have and my extra few thousand is getting burnt and going out the tailpipe on this trip
  9. A

Would one of the magnets cause the other 3 to not work also? I thought about the 7-pin, but how does that explain why they won't work with the breakaway which bypasses the 7-pin
  10. A

I was content to just let it be, but now I've completely lost my brakes altogether. I confirmed they are adjusted properly, I've done the burnishing. There are two wires going back to the brakes. One is power (tied to blue wire from truck and 12v breakaway) and the other is ground. They both...
  11. A

That's what I don't get. That's the same axles I have except mine are Torflex instead of standard leaf. But the brakes are the same. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input.
  12. A

Drove another 300 miles today after a solid burnishing and they still suck. No improvement over pre-burnishing.
  13. A

Yes, please let me know what they say!
  14. A

Yep, I'm jealous. What brand trailer/axles do you have that have such good brakes?
  15. A

Gotcha. There's a little drag. I think they're probably adjusted pretty good. I've towed it 1000 miles so far. First 800 I didn't notice anything (didn't have a reason to... first time owning a trailer this size). Then the emergency stop where I honestly should have crashed, but thankfully...