Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's on your Aux Switches

Jeeptree2112

Reaction score
I did my power side steps ( they are a pain if you working on the truck and they deploy constantly), and my 2 wheel drive low range. Soon an air compressor.
Explain that to me because I wish there was a function or button to keep the running boards deployed at least when parked as you have just stated.

Reaction score
Explain that to me because I wish there was a function or button to keep the running boards deployed at least when parked as you have just stated.
I don't believe that function could be controlled though the switch. Someone smarter than I may be able to steer you in the right direction.

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
Once I get a dump trailer I may try to rig up one for non-latching and make a harness that plugs into a hacked version of the hydraulic remote cable. Be nice to raise the dump from inside the truck for spreading.

That is another level of cool auxiliary capabilities!

revjvegas

Reaction score
I thought you could go into settings and change to take if off of auto deploy, then when you manually deploy them they'll stay down even with the door closed, until you either manually retract them or exceed 5mph.
I'll have to test that theory next time I'm out by the truck.

dragon_ram

Reaction score
I have yet to fill them in.
1 - Front light bar (not purchased)
2 - Ground lights (not installed)
3 - Rear service lights (not installed)
4 - High power relay
5 - Auto level air suspension (not factory equipped of course)
6 - Air compressor

4 is to power the fifth wheel with the dual alternators so I can run the AC in the RV, and/rapid charge the batteries. It also lets me boost a car from the rear bumper if needed. (With a different plug in cable to the bed with clips. The usual one I use is from the connector in the bed and hard wired to the RV battery bank.)
2/3 are to see when I arrive at a campsite after dark. So they purely light up the ground around the truck and trailer.
Please keep us (me) in the loop on these, especially how you wire up #4. I want to exploit my dual 440 amps with probably the Renogy DC-DC charger for the trailer, and your plans on the high power rely would be wonderful to review.

Will_T

Reaction score

I thought you could go into settings and change to take if off of auto deploy, then when you manually deploy them they'll stay down even with the door closed, until you either manually retract them or exceed 5mph.
I'll have to test that theory next time I'm out by the truck.
Revjvegas is correct, I think.....

I have wanted a little better functionality with the OEM retractable steps also. Although there does not seem to be any way to keep them deployed when driving, you can have them out when parked. What I do is this: As shown in the attached photo, go into "Settings> Safety and Driving Assistance" and put the steps in "store" mode. Then, exit settings and go to "Controls". As shown in the 2nd photo, there a button to "Deploy Step". Touch that button and the steps will now stay deployed until you start to drive. Once moving, they will retract and you will need to use the same Controls button again to deploy them. In other words, when using them like this you can deploy them when parked. At first I thought if I kept the step settings mode in "auto" rather than store and then just used the Controls button to deploy the steps when parking, that would be enough. But I have found on my truck at least, this method is not reliable. Sometimes when the settings is left in Auto and I deploy the step through the Control button, when I exit the truck and close the door, the steps retract. I have also Deployed the steps when in the truck, then remained in the truck reading the manual and a few minutes later, the steps have retracted on their own. Kind of confusing and hit or miss so when parking and wanting the steps deployed, I put Settings to Store and use the control button to Deploy. Then they stay out. But once you start driving they will retract and will not go out the next time you open the door because the "Settings>Safety and Driving Assistance" is still set to store rather than auto. You will have to be aware that exiting the truck you will step all the way to the ground. Because of this problem, I have found that it is best for me to do the following:

I leave the steps in auto mode unless I am parking somewhere that I think having them deployed might offer some door ding protection. For ding protection, I do as above and when I get back to the truck I try to remember to go into settings and put them back in "Auto" mode so they will go out the next time I exit the truck. If I am jumping in and out of the truck a lot as when backing alone into a campsite, I just leave settings in Auto mode and put the rear driver's side door ajar. This keeps the steps out while I am jumping in and out and I don't have to mess with the Settings and Controls. Hope this helps.

Steps Store.jpg

Steps Deploy.jpg

Will_T

Reaction score
And to get back to the original topic of what's on the aux switches, I still am only using Aux 1,2, and 5. One is the trailer rear view camera/dash cam combo. Two is 12 volts terminating on the dash at the OEM recessed area where the 12v OEM socket is. There I have installed a very high quality Bayou Goats Double Mount. I can then attach anything I want to the Bayou Mount platform with a suction cup and have 12v stepped down to 5v switched power there. Aux 5 goes to the bed of the truck to power a repeater for the TT TPMS. I have wired up Aux 3 and 4 to supply power under the dash in the cab but have not used them for anything yet. Aux 6 is powered to wire under the hood, also not used at this point.

There is also an additional always hot wire at the rear of the truck OEM that I considered connecting to one of the aux switches but ended up just leaving it as it came.

copcarguy

Reaction score

Attachments

• C1D6BDD0-4BE4-4666-BD90-586485A3F140.jpeg
    C1D6BDD0-4BE4-4666-BD90-586485A3F140.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 113
  • CEB0D83F-FE2D-434B-8220-CD7A4AF40949.jpeg
    CEB0D83F-FE2D-434B-8220-CD7A4AF40949.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 112

MtnRider

Reaction score
1. Rear flood lights
2. Front Light Bar
3. Front Cube lights
4. Empty
5. Enables Relay that is tied to both the front Light bar, cubes and High beam circuit. With this pushed all lights come on with high beams.

1651Naismith

Reaction score
1. Baja Designs Onx6 20” light bar up front
2. Rock lights
6. Baja Designs reverse lights. Wired to the switch so I can use them in camp or other situations where the truck is off or not in reverse.

Probably going to be a while before I wire anything else to the switches.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Once I get a dump trailer I may try to rig up one for non-latching and make a harness that plugs into a hacked version of the hydraulic remote cable. Be nice to raise the dump from inside the truck for spreading.
Amazon 20$ you can buy a wireless winch kit it works just beautiful for spreading i have one on my trailer mainly for lowering the multi stage cyl in winter (can take 10 mins on a -40 day) so i can be warm in the truck while it goes down lol

John Jensen

Reaction score
I have Baja Designs 20" front bumper LED bar on switch #1. I have Nilight 6.5" LED bar reverse lights on switch #2, wired so they also come on whenever in reverse gear.

TommyC

Reaction score
2WD LOW box and under hood LED.

Coming: reverse lights on truck, trailer, including reverse trigger enable/disable switch.
I too had no idea this existed. Besides learning my truck order has a build sheet as of today this is the second best thing I have learned today.

Gswain

Reaction score
1. Driving lights
2. Empty
3. Rear floods
4. Empty, possible front locker in future
5. On board air
6. Empty, possible rear locker in future

Users who are viewing this thread