Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mountain Camper

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
Newbie here that’s been lurking for weeks and just starting to contribute. Never owned a pickup before, but come from a long line who has including father who was a stone mason and father-in-law who is a farmer. FiL is a Ford man while Dad was a Chevy man. Upon his retirement, Dad bought his first ever RAM and before he passed said it was the best truck he ever owned.

Like new member Gondul on here, camping is what brings me to the forum. We’ve camped for years in tents and a pop-up, but once we hit our 50’s decided it was time to treat ourselves by upgrading to a TT. Started our research over 2-years ago and ultimately settled on a light weight TT that was just outside our SUV’s capabilities. So, started to search for a 1/2-ton and learned a lot. When we discovered GMC and FCA were going to be updating their 1500’s we decided to wait for the release.

As you can imagine, time can create some weird havocs in one’s life. By the time the new 1/2-tons were released, wife had decided she wanted something nicer in a TT than what we had picked out. So, the search started anew. Of course, we settled on TT outside the capabilities of the 1500s, so we’ve been waiting patiently on the new 2500’s. GMC won’t be out with their new redesign until the fall and while I really wish RAM was a complete redesign, it’s changed enough for me to not wait on GMC.

This week, we ordered a new 2020 model TT that will enter production in early June. So, we should take possession of it a week or so before the 4th of July holiday. It has a UVW of 9,000lbs. and a GVWR of 11,000lbs. With a dry hitch weight of 1,065lbs., I trust the 2500 will tow it like a dream. I assume I’ll still need a weight distributing hitch, but haven’t started that phase of research yet.

I appreciate what everyone has shared here so far and I look forward to participating when possible. Plan to order our 2500 Limited sometime in the next week as long as the Dealer selling price and trade negotiations go well. Best wishes to everyone here.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome. Camping and Ram trucks are a wonderful past time for our family.

A Limited is going to be light on payload, but nothing that is going
To be as drastic as the loss in a 1500.

Good luck getting the combination together.

Thanks for joining us.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I'm looking at a very lightly optioned Limited to claw back some of that payload... the interiors of the Laramie/Longhorn really aren't my jam...

Would the list of weights over on the 5th Gen board cross over to here @DevilDodge or would the item weights be different... I'm trying to get a ball park figure on payload, the dealer generally doesn't get it right based on numerous comments on the 5thgen board.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a very lightly optioned Limited to claw back some of that payload... the interiors of the Laramie/Longhorn really aren't my jam...

Would the list of weights over on the 5th Gen board cross over to here @DevilDodge or would the item weights be different... I'm trying to get a ball park figure on payload, the dealer generally doesn't get it right based on numerous comments on the 5thgen board.
You mean zeronets list of option weights? Yeah, they will for the most part.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds like I better run some calcs first to ensure the Limited will meet our needs.

That's kinda where I'm at... I thought the Carbook Showroom calculated weight numbers would be close, but they aren't. Hard to figure out when you don't have real numbers to work with... I may wait until I find some on a lot so I can look at payload stickers.

Users who are viewing this thread