Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camping

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
No....

Just kidding! I spent $60K on a truck and $60K in a camper this year. We are camping, hell or high water.

cf33b09d9eb9ff9533374b88ea96f332.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Damn straight!

New 303RLS in 2018, new truck this year. Just did 5 days at Pueblo Lake.

1QZOoMS.jpg

Lary0071

Reaction score
Lary0071, What kind of mileage you get pulling that fiver?
The 2 hour drive from Erie PA to down near Pittsburgh, mostly interstate at 65 (cruise control) and about 15 miles of hilly 2 lane and it was showing 7.8 on the DIC. I did reset the DIC just after pulling out with the new fifth wheel.

I'm a 3.73 geared, 8 speed, 6.4L in a crew/short/4x4.

AFF

Reaction score
Living in the far North some of our gas stations are up to about 260 miles apart. I wonder if I can pull somthing like that. I'm not sure how many gallons our tanks are.

Lary0071

Reaction score
Living in the far North some of our gas stations are up to about 260 miles apart. I wonder if I can pull somthing like that. I'm not sure how many gallons our tanks are.
Honestly, if I had to do that I would get 2x 5 gallon gas cans and a truck bed spreader bar and carry 10 gallons of backup fuel. When I went wheeling up into the mountains of Ouray and the San Juan mountains I carried 2 x 2.5 gallon fuel cans on my roof rack. Never needed them, but it's better to have and not need than.... You know.

My tank is advertised as 31 gallons. Getting 350 miles out of it on an empty truck is pretty difficult. I'm being you'll need those had cans once in a while.

AFF

Reaction score
I did the 260 mile section empty and I used 17 us gallons. But pulling a big fiver would be totally different.

Lary0071

Reaction score
First camp outing of the season. Took a nice 4 day extended weekend. Man do I ever wish I could be retired and do this full time!!!View attachment 5381
Agreed. It frustrates me that I'm only 49 and not done yet. I just want to take off and go play while I wait to die.

Tsys100718

Reaction score
Getting ready to take the new DRW 3500 on her first trip with the reasonably new 5th wheel toy hauler. Going to Pigeon Forge, TN and plan on taking the trike to ride the 'Tail of the Dragon.' My li'l sister and her husband, and my nephew and his wife are bringing their bikes as well.

As far as retirement goes, been there, done that THREE times now!
1) 1972 - USAF PJ, medically retired
2) 1984 - Retired from trailer truckin' 'cause I couldn't drive past a rest area anymore because of my coffee consumption!
3) 2000 - Retired from IT Project Management/Programming consulting and travelling ALL the time! I have worked on 6 of 7 continents, only because I didn't want to work on the 7th!

I got bored after a few months, so I usually went back to work!
Now 73 years young and work, from home, at an IT Programming job that I love!
Don't plan on another retirement anytime before I am planted at Arlington!
Geez, I hope I don't get bored in Heaven!

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to take the new DRW 3500 on her first trip with the reasonably new 5th wheel toy hauler. Going to Pigeon Forge, TN and plan on taking the trike to ride the 'Tail of the Dragon.' My li'l sister and her husband, and my nephew and his wife are bringing their bikes as well.

As far as retirement goes, been there, done that THREE times now!
1) 1972 - USAF PJ, medically retired
2) 1984 - Retired from trailer truckin' 'cause I couldn't drive past a rest area anymore because of my coffee consumption!
3) 2000 - Retired from IT Project Management/Programming consulting and travelling ALL the time! I have worked on 6 of 7 continents, only because I didn't want to work on the 7th!

I got bored after a few months, so I usually went back to work!
Now 73 years young and work, from home, at an IT Programming job that I love!
Don't plan on another retirement anytime before I am planted at Arlington!
Geez, I hope I don't get bored in Heaven!
I lived and worked in Knoxville tn for 25 yrs before I had to retire for health reasons. You'll love running back an forth on the dragon. We would take my wife's mini coop up there and she wouldn't hardly let me drive none. Anyway dont know if your into camping or glamping. I could do w/o the camping scene. I tell my wife that were high maintenance campers I guess. Anyway if your looking for a primo high end resort in the area, check out ANCHOR DOWN RV RESORT in kodak tn. Awesome place, pricey though. Have a good time and hug them switch backs and don't eat before you go

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
40 more days til regular camping season opems in PA.

Dispersed camping sites are closed right now...along with the forest roads to get to them.

Lots of snow this year. And with the melt...lots of ice.
Plenty of vehicles are stuck and waiting for the thaw to get them out.Screenshot_20210209-095733~2.pngScreenshot_20210208-132055~2.pngScreenshot_20210208-132018~2.png

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow.

Good material for a "What were they thinking?" thread.

We're doubling up a lot of our reservations due to NM keeping all overnight camping shut down last year and leaving us in a bit of a lurch to find last minute spots in CO. Seems dumb to have it open for day camping but not overnight. Non-residents were also required to Quarantine for 14 days before being allowed into any NM state park. SMH. Colorado was wide open. I guess we had lower infection rates there for a while.

ckreef

Reaction score
Middle GA here. This past weekend I un-winterized the camper and sanitized the water system. We are packed and ready to go (other than food and clothes). First reservation is for the weekend of 3/13. It's not supposed to freeze between now and then.

Very excited to get camping again!!!

foneguy

Reaction score
brutal-ho, our stste was wide open for weekenders and travelers....you just need to come to ne ohio this summer

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
brutal-ho, our stste was wide open for weekenders and travelers....you just need to come to ne ohio this summer
If you have 70F plus water temps, 90-100F or better air temps mid day, and are 7 hours or less drive. we're in! Lol

Looks like our NM trips are a go, they've announced they will be open.

Sent from my work avoidance device

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You guys are lucky nothing really opens up he until may 24 weekend due to the thaw and lots being to wet, im hoping to be able to grab my trailer earlier this year so i can fix the floor in the tip out it needs a new floor as the old one is a bit soft

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Middle GA here. This past weekend I un-winterized the camper and sanitized the water system. We are packed and ready to go (other than food and clothes). First reservation is for the weekend of 3/13. It's not supposed to freeze between now and then.

Very excited to get camping again!!!
Amen to that.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
I can't wait to get the trailer out this year...gotta go through setting up the hitch with the new truck, I'm excited to see how much better it is with the 2500 over the 1500. I'm hoping it doesn't make maneuvering in and out of the parking spot at the house any harder.
Wife is ready to get it out too, we're just waiting on the weather up here in northern Illinois. I gotta get going on some maintenance too...need to get the bearings cleaned and packed and replace some lug studs.

Users who are viewing this thread