Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your gun is poop

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Lost it just below the Spring Mountains in 1985, it laid until 1990 whereupon in went into the evidence vault, they sent a letter 33 years later. It was poop.
Received a rear sight and grip for it yesterday, back in business 38 years later.483B4DE8-7830-45FC-88B0-665DDCABAA99.jpegB4388640-B132-4AFE-9264-E65C7375CBA9.jpeg

Last edited:

RTillery

Reaction score
Cocobolo in the mill.JPG

Cocobolo done.jpg
Did some whittling in the basement on a piece of cocobolo. Carbon fiber laminated down the centerline.
Shot an .068" five shot group @100yards with it in a registered match. 13 1/2 lbs. Heavy Varmint
Bat Action, Krieger barrel, 6PPC, Jewel trigger, Leupold 36X

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 52754

View attachment 52749
Did some whittling in the basement on a piece of cocobolo. Carbon fiber laminated down the centerline.
Shot an 068" five shot group @100yards with it in a registered match. 13 1/2 lbs. Heavy Varmint
Bat Action, Krieger barrel, 6PPC, Jewel trigger, Leupold 36X

Impressive.

My bone stock Rem 700 Police LTR .308 does this.

1677914979485.jpeg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It's impressive how some R700's just shoot lights out...

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

It's not even a 5R barrel. My eyes aren't that good either.

Took an Elk at 275yds on the run from standing last season too. Fuds used to snicker at my "sniper rifle" (with can) while hunting. No more.

RTillery

Reaction score
What Caliber and tell us about your setup, love those bench guns
It is a 6mmPPC. That's a case that is based on a .220 Russian case and dominates short range benchrest. It is neck turned and fireformed to hold around 29-30 grains of powder. VihtaVuori 133 is the most common. We usually shoot a 65-68 grain bullet at around 33-3400 feet a second.

This is an "Unlimited Rail" gun I built and a home-made single shot action. The action is 17-4 stainless and has been "nitrided" by a buddy that runs a crankshaft shop. The bolt is 4140 Chrome Moly. It is a single shot, right bolt, left loading port with an ejector port on the right. When the bolt is pulled back, the empty case flies out the right, and a fresh round is tossed in from the left. Very quick to fire for a single shot. We can get 10 shots on record in under 20 seconds if the wind holds. The barrel blank is an 1.450" diameter Krieger with a 13.5 twist. Threaded and chambered in my old lathe in my basement. Nighteforce 42X scope with a .090"dot.

The return to battery base is two pieces and weighs about 70 llbs. The top slides back on "rails" to absorb the recoil and is pushed back to battery for the next shot. The barrel is mounted in a barrel block and the action free-floats. The trigger is a 2 ounce Jewell. There are elevation and windage adjustments to get on target and adjust point of aim as the "condition" changes while firing a group. There is a "cam" mechanism that allows you to go from the "sighter" target to the "record" target with just a flip of a lever.

It's a heavy beast but a lot of fun to shoot. Not much will beat them for just pounding bullets down range into the same hole. You really get an appreciation of what the wind will do to a bullet when shooting one of these things.

Users who are viewing this thread