Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Battery

jetrinka

Reaction score
Seeing what people have done for 2nd battery setups on their rigs. Looking at using the NHOverland battery mount but wondering about pros/cons to different wiring setups.

I was thinking about just mounting another battery and wiring it to the existing battery in parallel - basically making one large battery. Don’t know much about other wiring options. Pleas enlighten me

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Seeing what people have done for 2nd battery setups on their rigs. Looking at using the NHOverland battery mount but wondering about pros/cons to different wiring setups.

I was thinking about just mounting another battery and wiring it to the existing battery in parallel - basically making one large battery. Don’t know much about other wiring options. Pleas enlighten me

I use the NHOverland mount and a battery isolator that allows the alternator to charge the 2nd battery, but when the truck is off it disconnects the batteries from each other. This allows me to run accessories off the second battery when the truck is off without fear of draining the starter battery. The isolator also has an override feature so I can jump the starter battery from the auxiliary battery if needed.

The above would not be possible with what you're proposing. Which is fine, it just depends on what you're using it for. My concern was camping and not being stranded out in the middle of nowhere with dead batteries.

Here is the isolator I use and I found it based off another person on the forums that uses it as well. You might be able to get away with using a manual switch circuit to isolate the batteries too.

There are other components to my setup, but it's all based on an AGM deep cycle battery and that isolator.
I still need to replace my starter battery with a matching AGM. Probably later this year since the starter battery will be about 3 years old.

Last edited:

Hibiki54

Reaction score
I use the NHOverland mount and a battery isolator that allows the alternator to charge the 2nd battery, but when the truck is off it disconnects the batteries from each other. This allows me to run accessories off the second battery when the truck is off without fear of draining the starter battery. The isolator also has an override feature so I can jump the starter battery from the auxiliary battery if needed.

The above would not be possible with what you're proposing. Which is fine, it just depends on what you're using it for. My concern was camping and not being stranded out in the middle of nowhere with dead batteries.

Here is the isolator I use and I found it based off another person on the forums that uses it as well. You might be able to get away with using a manual switch circuit to isolate the batteries too.

There are other components to my setup, but it's all based on an AGM deep cycle battery and that isolator.
I still need to replace my starter battery with a matching AGM. Probably later this year since the starter battery will be about 3 years old.
Can you post what it looks like in your engine compartment?

ShadowMTN

Reaction score
I would recommend this one.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I would recommend this one.

That’s really nice looking.

el_barto

Reaction score
Just going to drop this here, since it would be a good addition to a dual battery system.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Just going to drop this here, since it would be a good addition to a dual battery system.

Those are nice looking and convenient, but I’d struggle to pay $450 for an 85W flush mount panel (flexible surface mount panels are very inefficient) when high quality 200W panels are $200. The matte texture of that panel is going to reduce its ability to collect sunlight as well. Solar panel efficiency is very dependent on heat, so if the engine has run in the past 5 or so hours you’re going to get very little power out of that thing. You’d be much better off mounting a panel to the roof or on top of a rack or RTT, or getting a portable suitcase panel you can set out when you park at camp.

Surface mount panels are also known for cooking paint on the surface they’re attached to.

Users who are viewing this thread