Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for quieter injectors for V6 Durango

strantor

Reaction score
Wife's 2015 Durango with 105k miles is making a ticking/tapping noise. I thought it was lifters so I brought it back to the used car dealership (bought it a few months ago right at 100k miles) and when I came back to pick it up they said it was the injectors, which I called b.s. They said they ran seafoam through it but it didn't sound any different. Got it home and busted out the stethoscope, probed around, and man, those are some loud ass injectors. I couldn't find any source other than injectors making noise. But you step back a few feet from the car and it absolutely sounds like lifters.

I had it checked out by a trusted 3rd party certified mechanic and he did same as me, going from almost certain it's lifters, then probing around, then being unsure.

I don't want to mess with the engine on this thing. If it's lifters I'm getting rid of it. But I don't want to jump the gun. Ill try replacing injectors first to rule that out. But I don't want to go spend money on injectors that are going to be just as loud as the OEM ones or I'll rich back in the same situation but a little poorer. Can anyone think of an injector I could try that's quieter than OEM? It's the V6, not the Hemi.

strantor

Reaction score
I think I am approaching this from the wrong end. Instead of replacing injectors to rule them out I should try to rule out lifter tick. I will try flushing the engine and running some of that lifter additive. If the sound changes at all then I'm probably barking up the right tree and it's a cheaper answer than injectors would be.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You are in the wrong place this is for heavy duty ram pickups

strantor

Reaction score
You are in the wrong place this is for heavy duty ram pickups
That's why I posted it in off topic. Didn't make sense to go seek out a durango-specific forum and create an account just to ask one question when odds are good that someone here knows the answer.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Are you seeing performance losses as well as the noise? With that mileage I could easily see them getting gummed up (especially if the first 100k were run using nasty gas), impacting their spray, which could of course make them louder as well.

Obviously lifters is the first guess when it comes to the tick, but why would you dump it regardless? If it's early enough and you don't need a new cam, replacing the lifters is pretty much standard with the Pentastars.

strantor

Reaction score
Are you seeing performance losses as well as the noise?
I couldn't tell you. We've only had it for 5k miles, I rarely drive it, and my wife is not exactly a reliable witness when it comes to this stuff. I can tell you that the only codes it has are Evap codes (P0456, P0440, P0443) and I just replaced the purge valve (it was also ticking) and it didn't seem to have any effect.
With that mileage I could easily see them getting gummed up (especially if the first 100k were run using nasty gas), impacting their spray, which could of course make them louder as well.
The dealership said they ran seafoam through it, I assumed they meant they ran it through the fuel system but maybe that's a bad assumption. I did not realize they get louder when gummed up. I will try putting some in the gas and see if that helps.
Obviously lifters is the first guess when it comes to the tick, but why would you dump it regardless? If it's early enough and you don't need a new cam, replacing the lifters is pretty much standard with the Pentastars.
I was told that working on these engines is more trouble than it's worth and most people just replace them; I think that was assuming it needs a new cam. I am not in the mood for the journey of incremental discovery that often happens once you start to peel back and look under the rug. As much as I dislike haggling, I would rather do a same-day trade in than leave it in the shop for a week only to reach the point of no return and be told that it's going to cost $4k.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Can you hear the ticking while driving it? If so, go find a long hill to go down, manually downshift to get the rpm up around 1500 or higher and let off the gas, the ecm will cut the injectors during decel and if the noise goes away then you have your answer

strantor

Reaction score
Can you hear the ticking while driving it?
Yes
If so, go find a long hill to go down, manually downshift to get the rpm up around 1500 or higher and let off the gas, the ecm will cut the injectors during decel and if the noise goes away then you have your answer
Oh, good call! I'll have to drive a couple counties away to find a hill tho :D

Users who are viewing this thread