Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulletproof vs B&W

tchur1

Reaction score
Thanks dudes. I’m gonna order the 7” b&w

Fwiw the bulletproof is rated 22,000 lb (2-5/16 ball) and the b&w is 14,500 (unspecified ball) the bulletproof weighs 14 lb more

I may hang onto the bulletproof hitch in case I ever have to pull a bigger trailer hit my trailer is 9900 gvwr
Just a heads up the 2” ball in the b&w is only 7500lbs if I recall correctly. The 2 5/16 is 14,500. I originally ordered a b & w but realized the 2” wasnt rated for what I needed so I returned it and got a gen y mega duty and am very happy with it.

I was bummed cuz the tow and stow seemed great, just wasn’t strong enough for my needs.

jetrinka

Reaction score
The 2.5” shank model doesn’t differentiate between the 2” and 2 5/16” ball - both listed on the hitch say 14500 lbs. What it says on my hitch anyway. I don’t see two different weight ratings

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just a heads up the 2” ball in the b&w is only 7500lbs if I recall correctly. The 2 5/16 is 14,500. I originally ordered a b & w but realized the 2” wasnt rated for what I needed so I returned it and got a gen y mega duty and am very happy with it.

I was bummed cuz the tow and stow seemed great, just wasn’t strong enough for my needs.
If you want to get technical to my knowledge there is no 2” coupler that is rated over 7500lbs anyway hell its hard to find one over 5k TBH. Any trailers i build get 2-5/16 couplers

Riddick

Reaction score
Both of these brands are top notch in terms of build quality. I ended up going with the Bulletproof based on drop length alone. I measured a 6 in drop would be the sweet spot for me, B&W offered a 5 and 7 while Bulletproof has a 6 inch, I ended up going with the medium duty hitch which is perfect. As others have stated the Bulletproof does stick out quite a bit when installed but I do not leave mine in when not in use. I have a question to the B&W users, when you don't have a trailer and you hit big bumps does your hitch move around? I have drove around with my Bulletproof in and on big bumps you can really feel the hitch back there moving around. I know they make anti rattle devices but was curious if you even need these on the B&W.

In hindsight the B&W may have been the better choice for me. I plan on adding 35s one day down the road and this will roughly raise my rear about 1 in. I think the 6 in drop will work fine but time will tell. So far I have copied @Rockcrawlerdude on his suspension so I guess I can ride his coat tails on hitch selection as well :).

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Both of these brands are top notch in terms of build quality. I ended up going with the Bulletproof based on drop length alone. I measured a 6 in drop would be the sweet spot for me, B&W offered a 5 and 7 while Bulletproof has a 6 inch, I ended up going with the medium duty hitch which is perfect. As others have stated the Bulletproof does stick out quite a bit when installed but I do not leave mine in when not in use. I have a question to the B&W users, when you don't have a trailer and you hit big bumps does your hitch move around? I have drove around with my Bulletproof in and on big bumps you can really feel the hitch back there moving around. I know they make anti rattle devices but was curious if you even need these on the B&W.

In hindsight the B&W may have been the better choice for me. I plan on adding 35s one day down the road and this will roughly raise my rear about 1 in. I think the 6 in drop will work fine but time will tell. So far I have copied @Rockcrawlerdude on his suspension so I guess I can ride his coat tails on hitch selection as well :).
The bulletproof was the better choice for me at first as well. I believe it was around $100 less pre covid but it was also the perfect drop height. I’ve made changes to the truck and I got a new trailer.

The BP does bang around a lot. Mine fits very snuggly in the receiver but the other part is clanky. I was smacking a composite cabinet shim in the slider behind the balls to tighten it up and it would eventually break down and I would do it again but I gave up on that

I prefer to remove the hitch when I’m not using it but it’s so heavy and large and greasy that I tend to leave it in the receiver. I think ill be happier with the bw

Last edited:

jetrinka

Reaction score
I have a question to the B&W users, when you don't have a trailer and you hit big bumps does your hitch move around? I have drove around with my Bulletproof in and on big bumps you can really feel the hitch back there moving around. I know they make anti rattle devices but was curious if you even need these on the B&W.
The only time I've really heard mine move around is when the truck porpoises over a large dip and the tongue of the trailer comes up and unloads the hitch - other than that its been pretty darn quiet. I'd say my B&W fits more snugly in the receiver than the Bulletproof I had did. I did like my Bulletproof but the one I had was for my old truck which had a 2" receiver - I didn't want to run a reducer in this truck so I shopped for a new one.

The Bulletproof does stick out a ways though - I was sitting in a line at a coffee stand one time and a guy walked around the back of my truck pretty close and destroyed his knee on the hitch cause he didn't see it :D He was a good sport about it - I think he swore, waved and limped off. It was his unlucky day as it usually was stowed away when not in use

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
The only time I've really heard mine move around is when the truck porpoises over a large dip and the tongue of the trailer comes up and unloads the hitch - other than that its been pretty darn quiet. I'd say my B&W fits more snugly in the receiver than the Bulletproof I had did. I did like my Bulletproof but the one I had was for my old truck which had a 2" receiver - I didn't want to run a reducer in this truck so I shopped for a new one.

The Bulletproof does stick out a ways though - I was sitting in a line at a coffee stand one time and a guy walked around the back of my truck pretty close and destroyed his knee on the hitch cause he didn't see it :D He was a good sport about it - I think he swore, waved and limped off. It was his unlucky day as it usually was stowed away when not in use
It sticks out so far that I’ve whacked my leg on mine while loading the truck with the tailgate down

tchur1

Reaction score
The 2.5” shank model doesn’t differentiate between the 2” and 2 5/16” ball - both listed on the hitch say 14500 lbs. What it says on my hitch anyway. I don’t see two different weight ratings
This is from the B&W owners manual:
Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 8.56.14 AM.png
If you want to get technical to my knowledge there is no 2” coupler that is rated over 7500lbs anyway hell its hard to find one over 5k TBH. Any trailers i build get 2-5/16 couplers

This is not true - my gen y 2" ball is rated for 14k, 2 5/16" is rated for 22k. Thats why I returned the b&w and went with the gen y.

EDIT: you are referencing couplers not the ball itself. My boat is in storage right now but I am fairly certain the coupler is rated for more then 7500lbs on a 2" ball. Boat is 7k dry, trailer is another 2k alone and when loaded down with lead/fuel/gear I know we are closer to 10k and Im 99% sure we are within spec on the trailer.

Last edited:

whitexc

Reaction score
Bulletproof here but for the opposite reason. I got the extended shank version so I could drop my tailgate and not hit the tongue jack when the TT is hitched. The thing is heavy as can be and annoying to move. Hence it being under the workbench way more than in the receiver.

No help to you but good luck with the new setup.

085d734de7f991ecd922196e670d0973.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
View attachment 46691

This is not true - my gen y 2" ball is rated for 14k, 2 5/16" is rated for 22k. Thats why I returned the b&w and went with the gen y.

EDIT: you are referencing couplers not the ball itself. My boat is in storage right now but I am fairly certain the coupler is rated for more then 7500lbs on a 2" ball. Boat is 7k dry, trailer is another 2k alone and when loaded down with lead/fuel/gear I know we are closer to 10k and Im 99% sure we are within spec on the trailer.
The coupler is the weak link not the ball. You won’t find a 2” coupler rated over 7500 so it doesn’t matter

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Bulletproof here but for the opposite reason. I got the extended shank version so I could drop my tailgate and not hit the tongue jack when the TT is hitched. The thing is heavy as can be and annoying to move. Hence it being under the workbench way more than in the receiver.

No help to you but good luck with the new setup.

085d734de7f991ecd922196e670d0973.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Oh dang I didn’t think of this. I can use my tailgate with the trailer hooked up with my current bulletproof.

If I can’t with the b&w I will ship it back to Amazon for sure. That’s a deal breaker for me especially with the decked

I’ll be putting blue tape on it and test fitting this exact thing as soon as I open the pkg

jetrinka

Reaction score
Oh dang I didn’t think of this. I can use my tailgate with the trailer hooked up with my current bulletproof.

If I can’t with the b&w I will ship it back to Amazon for sure. That’s a deal breaker for me especially with the decked

I’ll be putting blue tape on it and test fitting this exact thing as soon as I open the pkg
He's got a good point. My tailgate hits the tongue jacks on my utility and TT with the B&W - I cannot open it when hooked up. I do run the hitch with it all the way inserted - there is another hole to move it farther out of the receiver but I am not sure if it would be enough.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
He's got a good point. My tailgate hits the tongue jacks on my utility and TT with the B&W - I cannot open it when hooked up. I do run the hitch with it all the way inserted - there is another hole to move it farther out of the receiver but I am not sure if it would be enough.
I’m not even going to bother. If it’s that close then it will never work when parked off camber or something. I keep most of my gear in my ram and the bulletproof gives me tons of room to open my tailgate and move around.

I just cancelled my order. Love that about Amazon I can cancel an order that out for delivery.

You guys rock very informative very quickly

McHenry2500

Reaction score
So this maybe a stupid question, but why not consider a solid hitch?

All of my bumper pull trailers use a 2-5/16" coupler and I have a standard 2-12" hitch with a 6" drop rated for 16,000lbs. (probably more than my trucks reciever hitch is rated for).

Unless you have multiple trailers at different heights with different sized couplings, wouldn't this be the ideal solution. I'm not bashing the adjustable hitches, just trying to figure out if there's a realistic reason for me to upgrade.

I have this one in my trucks receiver hitch with a 2-5/16" ball currently.

jetrinka

Reaction score
So this maybe a stupid question, but why not consider a solid hitch?

All of my bumper pull trailers use a 2-5/16" coupler and I have a standard 2-12" hitch with a 6" drop rated for 16,000lbs. (probably more than my trucks reciever hitch is rated for).

Unless you have multiple trailers at different heights with different sized couplings, wouldn't this be the ideal solution. I'm not bashing the adjustable hitches, just trying to figure out if there's a realistic reason for me to upgrade.

I have this one in my trucks receiver hitch with a 2-5/16" ball currently.

I like having the adjustable for the reason you stated. Each of my 3 trailers require different heights to be level and the travel trailer is a 2 5/16" ball whereas the other two are 2". Its just nice to have one hitch that will do them all as opposed to needing 3 separate ones rattling around somewhere.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
View attachment 46691

Take a look it should have a rating on the coupler but it is highly likely that its 7500lbs rated and the boat manufacture just over looked it as they don't make the trailers usually

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I’m not even going to bother. If it’s that close then it will never work when parked off camber or something. I keep most of my gear in my ram and the bulletproof gives me tons of room to open my tailgate and move around.

I just cancelled my order. Love that about Amazon I can cancel an order that out for delivery.

You guys rock very informative very quickly
Thats one nice thing about the 2 pin holes in my shank i can move it out for dropping my tailgate depending on the trailer and situation it may be the ideal solution for you.

Users who are viewing this thread