Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best toolbox/tonneau cover combo for 5th wheel towing

rndyrmlog

Reaction score
OK, this is my first post (excluding my intro), so hopefully this is the right forum. I searched for what I'm looking for, but didn't find it...hope I didn't miss it and create a dupe post.

Anyway. I just upgraded my 6.5ft bed 3500 SRW truck to a new(to me) 2021 DRW with the 8ft bed. I tow a pretty large 5th wheel and I'm looking for the best toolbox and tonneau cover combo that will let me take the best advantage of my bed, keep things nice and dry/secure, and still not interfere with my towing abilities.

I'm considering the Decked or one of the Tractor Supply low profile toolboxes. I'm also considering the Leer Jackrabbit retractable cover.

Has anyone setup their bed similarly and can confirm that this will work and that there shouldn't be any issues towing and such? Any other recommendations would be helpful too. Pics would be nice! :)

Thanks all!
Randy

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
OK, this is my first post (excluding my intro), so hopefully this is the right forum. I searched for what I'm looking for, but didn't find it...hope I didn't miss it and create a dupe post.

Anyway. I just upgraded my 6.5ft bed 3500 SRW truck to a new(to me) 2021 DRW with the 8ft bed. I tow a pretty large 5th wheel and I'm looking for the best toolbox and tonneau cover combo that will let me take the best advantage of my bed, keep things nice and dry/secure, and still not interfere with my towing abilities.

I'm considering the Decked or one of the Tractor Supply low profile toolboxes. I'm also considering the Leer Jackrabbit retractable cover.

Has anyone setup their bed similarly and can confirm that this will work and that there shouldn't be any issues towing and such? Any other recommendations would be helpful too. Pics would be nice! :)

Thanks all!
Randy
I wouldn’t go with the tractor supply boxes. Looked at those and they are so cheaply made. For a traditional low profile box look at weatherguard. More money but worth it. I have a steel box of theirs that is 25 years old and works as good now as day one. Minus the scratches.

rndyrmlog

Reaction score
I wouldn’t go with the tractor supply boxes. Looked at those and they are so cheaply made. For a traditional low profile box look at weatherguard. More money but worth it. I have a steel box of theirs that is 25 years old and works as good now as day one. Minus the scratches.
@Jnrcarson Thanks for the reply. I will consider that point. Figured they'd be a bit less in the quality. However, they do have the side "button" to open them, vs. the handle that would sit on the front facing the bed and be potentially covered by the tonneau cover. That's why I'm considering the Decked and the Tractor Supply. I will look for a Weatherguard that has the same handle or button location and is still low profile.

Still looking for more feedback on the cover/toolbox and 5th wheel combo (the main concern of this post).

Randy

Darkone

Reaction score
Weatherguard makes a toolbox with side buttons in a semi low profile box. I have a TSC box with a access tonneau cover. I really like the handiness of it. Getting it to seal has been a challenge but overall I’m pleased with it.
The toolbox has not been the best and I wouldn’t recommend a TSC box. It works but the welds are poor and the paint is peeling off already. I would spend the extra money and buy a weatherguard.

Users who are viewing this thread