Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TOWING TECHNOLOGY GROUP

lovegolf44

Reaction score
So has anyone confirmed the Mopar Aux cam is **** because of the video quality out of the box or signal attenuation due to a long-ass cable for a 40' trailer? For example, what's the video resolution spec for the bed cam? If it's pretty decent (let's say 720P), I suspect a 45+ foot cable would degrade the signal significantly on that cam as well depending on the wire gauge in the cabling. Perhaps this is all still irrelevant anyway, I'm still fuming over the fact you can't engage the trailer cam anytime you want to, save under a certain speed. WTF good is that, seriously.

Phil T

Reaction score
It's the same camera that is in the tail gate. Someone opened the Mopar camera up and checked. I think that the cable length, quality of cable, and number of connectors definitely play a role in the picture quality. It's NOT a digital camera.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
It's the same camera that is in the tail gate. Someone opened the Mopar camera up and checked. I think that the cable length, quality of cable, and number of connectors definitely play a role in the picture quality. It's NOT a digital camera.
I must have missed that it's the same as the tailgate camera. That's asinine to use that for the trailer camera. No wonder it's crap and when attached to a long cable would not work well.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I must have missed that it's the same as the tailgate camera. That's asinine to use that for the trailer camera. No wonder it's crap and when attached to a long cable would not work well.

I have installed a lot of security cameras with professional motion tracking and object identification.

Unshielded RCA cable is good for about 150 feet. Shielded cables are good for about 300 feet. A 45' cable is nothing to worry about.

The main factor in determining picture quality is the camera itself, not the 45' cable.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
My wireless camera without a cable with Furrion works great so distance shouldn’t be the issue. Just the cheap Mopar quality it sounds like. Maybe Samsung needs to get into RV cameras some ce they have the best cameras on phones. Apple would take years.
Also keep in mind we are looking for vehicles, not trying to read a book on the camera. I just want a decent picture of a vehicle behind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovegolf44

Reaction score
My wireless camera without a cable with Furrion works great so distance shouldn’t be the issue. Just the cheap Mopar quality it sounds like. Maybe Samsung needs to get into RV cameras some ce they have the best cameras on phones. Apple would take years.
Also keep in mind we are looking for vehicles, not trying to read a book on the camera. I just want a decent picture of a vehicle behind me.

Agreed. They could have a 4K cam available and it's still not going to do any good if we can't view it while driving at highway speeds. I ordered an option that I can't use the way I want with Uconnect. One those stupid non-features I wish I had researched before ordering the option.

AFF

Reaction score
Just need to two ipads. Mount one on the dash and the other on the back of the trailer then use facetime. Yes, I'm kidding.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
If alphaobd can't do it, has anyone checked out or contacted Lock Pick? I installed this on my 2010 Challenger SRT years ago and it does everything you want and even more. It's a bit pricey though.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
When I was trying to read up on it I finally decided not to wait on the Trailer Cam before ordering. The Furion wireless seems to be the easiest way to go since their new models are Rear View (instead of just Backup) and they apparently are now working at highway speeds (which the originals models seemed to have a problem with). As for resolution....all I need is something that will let me see if I have cleared the vehicle I just passed and keep me from backing into a tree.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll comment again that my big issue with all these cams (Mopar, Furrion), etc. is not necessarily the video quality, it's the lack of vertical viewing angle. They're crap. I can get a $130 Sony UCCD based IR cam (some with sound) that's hi res and has 90* vertical view (150* diagonal).

I had a 15 year old alpine backup camera that had 105* vertical view angle, fed via shielded RCA to my in-dash Jensen DVD that I hacked to stay constant on. I need this to see my hitch for hookup and then past the end of the boat. The current crop of 70* vertical (120-130* diag) view cams don't cut it.

The nanny state crap that FCA lawyers lay on the consumer for simple things like this shouldn't be necessary, but we're a litigious society so that's what you get. However, give me the option to opt out and waive my right to sue over that specific feature.

RPS1030

Reaction score
When I was trying to read up on it I finally decided not to wait on the Trailer Cam before ordering. The Furion wireless seems to be the easiest way to go since their new models are Rear View (instead of just Backup) and they apparently are now working at highway speeds (which the originals models seemed to have a problem with). As for resolution....all I need is something that will let me see if I have cleared the vehicle I just passed and keep me from backing into a tree.

I got the Furion 4.3” since the new camper was pre-wired and mount. Screen size and quality is ok, can see vehicles close easily and just barely when they are back a few hundred feet.
There is lag due to the wireless I assume. I can see a car in the next lane reach my rear bumper and get alongside the camper and still be visible in the camera as being behind me for a few beats (1-2 seconds maybe).

I’m perfectly happy with picking the 4.3 vs their larger screen options. Value to Price matches on that size.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
I currently use the 7” monitor while traveling as well. Works great, stays on, but wonder if it would be more dangerous to have it on the radio. Further to look down. Love my Furrion system.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If alphaobd can't do it, has anyone checked out or contacted Lock Pick? I installed this on my 2010 Challenger SRT years ago and it does everything you want and even more. It's a bit pricey though.

https://www.coastaletech.com/uconnectairv2.htm

* 2013-2018 DODGE RAM (Not compatible with 2019-2020 digital 8.4" & 12" )

AFF

Reaction score
I'm thinking yes. The older versions allowed that along with Nav keying and dvd on during montion.

heyguy

Reaction score
Anyone source a plug yet for the bumper connector? If that was available I'm sure anyone could just wire whatever camera they want into it and plug it in.

Users who are viewing this thread