Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switch WiFi Hot Spot in Ram to a Different Carrier?

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
The Travel Link weather in my 2020 doesn't use cellular for the weather information. I never enabled my free 3-month cellular connection. If I need a fast connection for anything I turn on my 5G phone's hotspot.

Lee Iacocca

Grumpy Old Fart
Reaction score
The Travel Link weather in my 2020 doesn't use cellular for the weather information. I never enabled my free 3-month cellular connection. If I need a fast connection for anything I turn on my 5G phone's hotspot.
And it shows up on your truck screen?

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
And it shows up on your truck screen?
Yes. It is similar to the service they offer boaters. So do all the other Travel Link items like movies at local theaters, fuel prices sports scores etc. I seldom use any of it though.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Would be great to get Verizon in these trucks... I too, paid for the "unlimited" annual ATT plan and the service sucks. We get an hour into our trip and the service stops working for the kids.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Would be great to get Verizon in these trucks... I too, paid for the "unlimited" annual ATT plan and the service sucks. We get an hour into our trip and the service stops working for the kids.
Can you just stream from your phone? How much data does Verison give you for Hotspot? My T-Mobile is 10GB hotspot before throttling. It is tracked differently than my normal service which is unlimited.

Lee Iacocca

Grumpy Old Fart
Reaction score
Ya know, I’m not trying to use my truck as a Hotspot, I’m trying to connect my truck to my IPhone Hotspot. That’s what I’m asking….Things are so much clearer now…. :)

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Can you just stream from your phone? How much data does Verison give you for Hotspot? My T-Mobile is 10GB hotspot before throttling. It is tracked differently than my normal service which is unlimited.

Definitely and thats what we turn to when the truck's wifi takes a crap.

philale

Reaction score
I highly doubt that it can be done. Verizon runs on a CDMA network, totally different from the ATT GSM network from a hardware perspective. The only way it could possibly work is if RAM went to the expense to have a "global" cellular radio built that had radios for both GSM (ATT) and CDMA (Verizon) included. I may be wrong, but I would shocked if they spent the money in hardware and engineering to do that. It's not a simple SIM card. It is the physical radios built on totally different architectures that are the limitation unless like I said..... Someone decided to built 2 complete systems into the trucks system even though the truck is sold with the ATT system activated.

I would be 3 steps beyond blown away. But it could happen....?
CDMA is the 3g. Any device that works on berizon should have the capabilities to work on Att and t mobile. The lte is the same. The 3g is the different part

spacerat

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has this problem. About 6 months ago I moved to a new city, my internet also went out. I assumed it was my area. Speaking with tech support they told me it's been a know issue and will be fixed with an update in a few months. Was able to get some of my payments refunded. They were happy to keep charging we without actually providing service.

philammon

Reaction score
Apparently there is a serious issue with the Hotspot and as of June 27 the problem is still not fixed. ATT is not accepting new or reactivations. Others have said it is likely a Uconnect issue and to call them for more information.

mkksat13

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with AT&T. They told me my vin was not showing WIFI ability, even though my phone was picking up the hotspot but with no internet connection obviously. They took my number and said they would contact me when a resolution was found. She said the issue was across the entire Stellantis Uconnect platform and not limited to certain makes, models, etc. They did advise I would still get my 3 month free trial even if the issue wasn't resolved before my 1 yr ownership ran out. What a joke, smh.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
This UConnect5 System is a joke and a waste of hundreds of dollars. My $200 aftermarket system I purchased and installed in my 2004 Avalanche did a much better job although it didn't have the means for built in WiFi. The whole system is extremely buggy and seems it never maintains preset information. I'm constantly having to manually configure or shutting down and rebooting the system in order to get it to work the way it was elusively designed. I've noticed the latest update has caused more problems than it fixed because my system is getting worse as the updates are being applied.

Users who are viewing this thread