Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Kit or Individual Parts? Cost?
Individual parts. You’re looking at the following:
Passenger door module- 68374090AG ~$75
Driver door module- 68374091AG ~$75
Door switch- 68382475AB ~$65
Mirrors- factory mirror prices vary widely based on what features you want, black/chrome, etc.
OR, you can go with boost auto and customize how you want them, and they look exactly like factory. I went on there and optioned a set with power fold (choosing factory power fold option), factory running lights, both pieces of glass heated, puddle lamps, turn signals, black, for $601. https://boostautoparts.com/products/5th-2500-3500
For programming them in:
AlfaOBD (Android or windows only) or Jscan (android or iOS)- $50 or $25 respectively
OBD Bluetooth interface- $25-100 (a $25 interface will get this job done)
Security gateway bypass- $55 for the type that is easier to install. $25 for the type that installs by removing the instrument cluster (not really that bad).

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Besides the ability to enable it in AlfaOBD or by a dealer, is there anything to buy besides the camera package to get 360° Trailer view on a Limited that already has the 360° camera for the truck?

I ask because I'm still unclear about the security module mentioned previously.
You would have to look up under the dash between the steering column and center stack to see if the trailer gateway module is present. It would look identical to the security gateway module located behind the instrument cluster.

CharlieL

Reaction score
I think I need to wait until Ram comes out with something like what Ford seems to have. My 2022 2500 is equipped with the "Towing Technology Group B," which includes the surround-view camera system. Having that is required in order to have the trailer surround view & from the Uconnect screens in my truck it appears its ready to accept trailer camera input - also has the 12-pin connectors in the rear. Now, I've learned the Ram trailer camera kit is four hard-wired cameras (thanks to Ridered67). I don't want to attach 4 cameras and run cable across the new camper. Just my preference & it has the Furrion wireless system as well for rear and both sides. I ran across a Ford forum & have attached some pics from that. Seems Ford has a wireless system, in which a receiver box is mounted on the front of the 5th wheel & a cable is run to the 12-pin. The info is then displayed on the dash screen. In speaking with the rep for the camper we've got on order, he tells me the Furrion system that comes with the unit does work with Ford (like in the attached pics), but not with Ram. So, I'll be going without use of the trailer camera system that's part of what I have for the time being. I'm hoping Ram comes up with something similar.

Attachments

• Ford Image 1.jpg
    Ford Image 1.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Ford Image 2.jpg
    Ford Image 2.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Ford Image 3.jpg
    Ford Image 3.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Ram1.jpg
    Ram1.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Ram2.jpg
    Ram2.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

dsneill

Reaction score
Does your truck have the 12/7-pin connector in the bump

The kit part number is 68527599AA. Post from earlier in this thread-
Comes with 50’. I wouldn’t hesitate to add another 20’ if needed. I had about 80’ of RG174 coax cable lengths connected together when testing cameras for my surround view install, and didn’t notice any image degradation.
Jimmy07 do you have any idea why my dealer cant find this part number? are we sure it correct?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Jimmy07 do you have any idea why my dealer cant find this part number? are we sure it correct?
That’s the part number right on the bag for the kit. It might not be available yet, and 2022 parts catalogs might not be fully populated yet.

littlejohn

Reaction score
I have a question for the tow mode on the digital rearview mirror if someone can give an explanation since i contacted fca and couldnt give me anything about it...

Here is canada if you build a ram 2500 limited lvl 1 megacab you can add the "tow-mode/up-fit wired camera

But if you build the same truck but as a 3500 (with limited lvl 1 and megacab) youll encounter an error saying that if you want the tow mode in the digital rear view mirroir ull have to add :
- tow mode digital rearview mirror
Or
- safety group
Then remove the level 1 limited group

Arent they already in the limited lvl 1 group ?

Just a site bug or anything ... my dealer even told me its not available on the 3500...humm okeyy

Ordering my 22 so just want that to get fixed

Thanks for any comments and help :)

dsneill

Reaction score
That’s the part number right on the bag for the kit. It might not be available yet, and 2022 parts catalogs might not be fully populated yet.
do you know where i can order one ? all the Mopar sites i tried don't have it yet.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
do you know where i can order one ? all the Mopar sites i tried don't have it yet.
You’ll have to call a dealership parts department. If they can’t find it, it can’t be bought yet.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Like this one?

Attachments

• 20211119_160927.jpg
    20211119_160927.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 20211119_160910.jpg
    20211119_160910.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 132
  • 20211119_163058.jpg
    20211119_163058.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 20211119_161638.jpg
    20211119_161638.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 123

ACEd

Reaction score
I think I need to wait until Ram comes out with something like what Ford seems to have. My 2022 2500 is equipped with the "Towing Technology Group B," which includes the surround-view camera system. Having that is required in order to have the trailer surround view & from the Uconnect screens in my truck it appears its ready to accept trailer camera input - also has the 12-pin connectors in the rear. Now, I've learned the Ram trailer camera kit is four hard-wired cameras (thanks to Ridered67). I don't want to attach 4 cameras and run cable across the new camper. Just my preference & it has the Furrion wireless system as well for rear and both sides. I ran across a Ford forum & have attached some pics from that. Seems Ford has a wireless system, in which a receiver box is mounted on the front of the 5th wheel & a cable is run to the 12-pin. The info is then displayed on the dash screen. In speaking with the rep for the camper we've got on order, he tells me the Furrion system that comes with the unit does work with Ford (like in the attached pics), but not with Ram. So, I'll be going without use of the trailer camera system that's part of what I have for the time being. I'm hoping Ram comes up with something similar.
Just wondering how Ford plans to power those wireless cameras?
(a) wire for power, wireless signal (takes power off tail light wiring like Furion - kind of a kludge at least it was 3 years ago)?
(b) battery powered cameras - Recharge or Replace Batteries periodically (My Arlo wireless cameras eat expensive batteries)
(c) batteries with solar charging (make sure charged before traveling at night and don't park under cover)
Second question - range (tail end of a longish trailer) and are they affected by metal trailer interference between rear camera and truck (again my experience with Furion comes to mind)

CharlieL

Reaction score
Just wondering how Ford plans to power those wireless cameras?
(a) wire for power, wireless signal (takes power off tail light wiring like Furion - kind of a kludge at least it was 3 years ago)?
(b) battery powered cameras - Recharge or Replace Batteries periodically (My Arlo wireless cameras eat expensive batteries)
(c) batteries with solar charging (make sure charged before traveling at night and don't park under cover)
Second question - range (tail end of a longish trailer) and are they affected by metal trailer interference between rear camera and truck (again my experience with Furion comes to mind)
All I know is that the wireless cameras on the trailer I’m getting are hard wired for power. One on each side and the rear. Trailer is prewired that way.

ACEd

Reaction score
All I know is that the wireless cameras on the trailer I’m getting are hard wired for power. One on each side and the rear. Trailer is prewired that way.
Newer trailers may be prewired, but 3 years ago they had to cut a hole and splice into taillight wiring to power "wireless" Furion that never was that good - probably better now, but if you are buying the Ford kit, you still need to have or to run power wherever you mount the "wireless" cameras unless they are battery powered like Arlo which was my point

dsneill

Reaction score
I have the furron wireless cameras on my fifth wheel Alpine they all replace the rear and side marker lights so there is 12 volts there already

CharlieL

Reaction score
Newer trailers may be prewired, but 3 years ago they had to cut a hole and splice into taillight wiring to power "wireless" Furion that never was that good - probably better now, but if you are buying the Ford kit, you still need to have or to run power wherever you mount the "wireless" cameras unless they are battery powered like Arlo which was my point
NO! I am not buying the Ford kit; have zero intention and no desire to attempt to cross-fit if it didn’t work. The point I was trying to make was that, from what I understand, Ford makes a product that is compatible with the wireless Furrion system that displays on the dash screen. Ram does not. The Ram system is hard wired. I will use the Furrion monitor and hopefully Ram will come up with a similar wireless so I can fully use all of the capabilities in my truck.

ACEd

Reaction score
NO! I am not buying the Ford kit; have zero intention and no desire to attempt to cross-fit if it didn’t work. The point I was trying to make was that, from what I understand, Ford makes a product that is compatible with the wireless Furrion system that displays on the dash screen. Ram does not. The Ram system is hard wired. I will use the Furrion monitor and hopefully Ram will come up with a similar wireless so I can fully use all of the capabilities in my truck.
No offense intended. I thought the major "fault" was having to wire the RAM system's cameras - my point is even "wireless" signal Ford cameras require power which means you are still wiring them, just not for signal. So I don't consider the Ford camera system as exempt from wiring issues and in particular I don't like splicing into existing marker or tail light wiring.
But I agree it would be good to be compatible for display of aftermarket cameras such as Furion or similar which can be added or may come preinstalled as an option on newer RVs.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Until they improve the craptastic wireless reception issues, I'll stick with wired.

FWIW, I avoided Furrion due to the desire to have more than 70° vertical view angle and a separate monitor. What's frustrating is that I bought a camera that advertised 90° vertical and was only 70°. Due to work schedule, I couldn't get it checked out until after I missed the return period. It's a shame that my 20 year old Alpine(?) camera I installed on my old 5th wheel had 105° vertical viewing angle (though no IR) and it's so hard to find a decent camera now that has bumper to horizon view for both hooking up and seeing past the end of my double tow.

gator6

Reaction score
So, I’m trying to make my way through this thread, but long story short…BLUF…I’m trying to figure out whether I need to by all three Furrion cameras.

I have the trailer surround view and the wired rear camera package on this build, I know the 40’ rear camera won’t reach the back of my 44’ 5e. So I’ll be looking at purchasing Furrion system, just not sure if I want to go with a single rear or that and the 2 side mounted turn signal cameras.

Now, I currently drive an ‘06 so all this new tech escapes me. I could be way off, but I think the idea is for situational awareness while driving. If I’m way off than I’d have to get the complete Furrion system for my intentions.

I’m just trying to find more info on this set up.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 0781D75E-DCAF-4CBB-93BE-1E04D61EA258.png
    0781D75E-DCAF-4CBB-93BE-1E04D61EA258.png
    1 MB · Views: 27

ACEd

Reaction score
So, I’m trying to make my way through this thread, but long story short…BLUF…I’m trying to figure out whether I need to by all three Furrion cameras.

I have the trailer surround view and the wired rear camera package on this build, I know the 40’ rear camera won’t reach the back of my 44’ 5e. So I’ll be looking at purchasing Furrion system, just not sure if I want to go with a single rear or that and the 2 side mounted turn signal cameras.

Now, I currently drive an ‘06 so all this new tech escapes me. I could be way off, but I think the idea is for situational awareness while driving. If I’m way off than I’d have to get the complete Furrion system for my intentions.

I’m just trying to find more info on this set up.

Thanks in advance!
I dont know that Furion will work either. My experience 3 years ago was the Furion at that time was challenged at rear of 30 ft of enclosed trailer - may work OK for cameras mounted on side toward middle of 44 ft trailer or maybe technology / range has improved, but I would do a bit more research on Furion rather than here. Maybe talk to Furion dealer and get some kind of guarantee they will work for that range or return for refund?

And 3 yrs ago, we had to splice camera power to tail light wiring and that was not very satisfactory - and lights had to be on to power camera. Tail lights always seemed dim but in fairness camera was installed at purchase of RV so we never had a before and after comparison.

Since you already have Trailer Surround pkg, you might want to try it before jumping to Furion. I dont have specific knowlede of the MOPAR Trailer Surround, but I believe it is 4 cameras - maybe put 2 on either side as far as wire will reach pointing back and other 2 midways pointing down/out?
As for Tow View system, I believe you are correct about its range limit, but again if you already have it, buy a 10 ft extension and try it.

Best, Ed

gator6

Reaction score
I dont know that Furion will work either. My experience 3 years ago was the Furion at that time was challenged at rear of 30 ft of enclosed trailer - may work OK for cameras mounted on side toward middle of 44 ft trailer or maybe technology / range has improved, but I would do a bit more research on Furion rather than here. Maybe talk to Furion dealer and get some kind of guarantee they will work for that range or return for refund?

And 3 yrs ago, we had to splice camera power to tail light wiring and that was not very satisfactory - and lights had to be on to power camera. Tail lights always seemed dim but in fairness camera was installed at purchase of RV so we never had a before and after comparison.

Since you already have Trailer Surround pkg, you might want to try it before jumping to Furion. I dont have specific knowlede of the MOPAR Trailer Surround, but I believe it is 4 cameras - maybe put 2 on either side as far as wire will reach pointing back and other 2 midways pointing down/out?
As for Tow View system, I believe you are correct about its range limit, but again if you already have it, buy a 10 ft extension and try it.

Best, Ed
Thanks Ed,

I spoke to someone who told me there are speed restrictions do viewing (3 mph max) as it’s primarily for parking only.

I used to operate combat craft and one class that was 56’ had cameras mounted port, stbd, and stern for tight maneuvering purposes, but they would work while moving at speed as well. We’d use them for situational awareness as well and I was hoping these cameras could be used the same way.

I do have a car hauler I could mount these things to, but seems I’m going to have to go with the Furrion setup for getting down the road. It’s not that bad of a setup since you can move the monitor and use it inside the 5er for security cams as well.

Attachments

• 9F90C58B-5BDB-47EA-B980-2D6635D03C8B.jpeg
    9F90C58B-5BDB-47EA-B980-2D6635D03C8B.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 18

Users who are viewing this thread