Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 4 to 5 upgrade?

Vroooom

Reaction score
Howdy, all. I have a 2021 Laramie with the uconnect 12.1 and, for the most part, I love it.

However...it has been haveing a few intermittant problems lately and those seems to be increasong in both their frequency and duration. So....it has be pondering:

Whatcha think the chances might be that I could replace my Uconnect 4 "brain" with a Uconnect 5 "brain" (if/when it ever actually comes out).

Just keep my display (which work fine) and simply replace the brain. Seems like it would be a simple plu-and-play swap/upgrade.

But thats my opinion...not FCA's.

My truck is only 8 months old and oly 29,000 miles AND I have the ChryslerWarranties 7-year/unlimited-mileage Max Care coverage.....so no matter whats wrong, its gonna get replaced.

Im just hoping that they will let me pony-up a little extra to cover the difference of costs to upgrade to uconnect 5.

Thoughts?

Happy trails.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@Jimmy07 has addressed this in another thread.

As there will be connector changes, it's still up in the air unless he has new info. I believe he did indicate it would require both the module and the display.

As to FCA offering it. I'm going to predict that's never going to happen.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Howdy, all. I have a 2021 Laramie with the uconnect 12.1 and, for the most part, I love it.

However...it has been haveing a few intermittant problems lately and those seems to be increasong in both their frequency and duration. So....it has be pondering:

Whatcha think the chances might be that I could replace my Uconnect 4 "brain" with a Uconnect 5 "brain" (if/when it ever actually comes out).

Just keep my display (which work fine) and simply replace the brain. Seems like it would be a simple plu-and-play swap/upgrade.

But thats my opinion...not FCA's.

My truck is only 8 months old and oly 29,000 miles AND I have the ChryslerWarranties 7-year/unlimited-mileage Max Care coverage.....so no matter whats wrong, its gonna get replaced.

Im just hoping that they will let me pony-up a little extra to cover the difference of costs to upgrade to uconnect 5.

Thoughts?

Happy trails.
There’s no way that they’ll let you swap units under warranty, even if paying the difference. The new radio module won’t even be plug n play. I have a conversion harness built and ready, and I have the part numbers for the new screen and UC5 module, just waiting on those part numbers to become available to buy. I’m almost certain the screen would have to be replaced too, but I’m going to test with both.

g00fy

Reaction score
There’s no way that they’ll let you swap units under warranty, even if paying the difference. The new radio module won’t even be plug n play. I have a conversion harness built and ready, and I have the part numbers for the new screen and UC5 module, just waiting on those part numbers to become available to buy. I’m almost certain the screen would have to be replaced too, but I’m going to test with both.

________Tech King Jimmy_______
worship.gif

Vroooom

Reaction score
Thats awesome! Thank you for replying and for diggin into this. I'll keep an eye on your progress.

Grayson

Reaction score
I guess PAC Audio will have to make version .R3 for the uconnect5. Maybe that's a good thing to save me from immediately upgrading the OEM Alpine.

I don't like LOC's so I guess I will wait for a year or so

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I guess PAC Audio will have to make version .R3 for the uconnect5. Maybe that's a good thing to save me from immediately upgrading the OEM Alpine.

I don't like LOC's so I guess I will wait for a year or so
THEY might take a year or so, but I already know how to adapt their current kit to UC5.

Grayson

Reaction score
THEY might take a year or so, but I already know how to adapt their current kit to UC5.
Would this require anything other than a harness? If not would you construct another one for purchase?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Would this require anything other than a harness? If not would you construct another one for purchase?
In this case, it would be easier if I get the kit, and modify their harness, eliminating unnecessary conversion connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread