Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does this truck make phantom exhaust sounds?

strantor

Reaction score
2021 6.4 hemi, I've had it a few weeks now. When I drive without the radio on I find myself at many points of my drive thinking there is someone hiding in my blind spot. When I try, I can't totally put a finger on what is fooling my senses, but I think I am getting a hint every once in a while of a 2nd exhaust sound on top of the normal one. I think I hear the sound (kinda like a big touring bike with factory exhaust) coming from the general direction of where my tailpipe is, and make a subconscious record of someone entering my blind spot, and then I never get audio/visual cues that they left.

Are there some extra chords in the exhaust song from that weird extra muffler? Or is the MDS maybe doing something to effect the sound? Or am I just defective?

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Probably the MDS dropping pistons. Chevy puts a flap in the muffler that deals with the sound variations. Supposedly sounds like crap with an aftermarket muffler without one.

DRAGRAM

Reaction score
I do beleive there is a device mounted to the frame that emits sounds to counter out the sounds the engine makes. Maybe she is not in sync.

strantor

Reaction score
I do beleive there is a device mounted to the frame that emits sounds to counter out the sounds the engine makes. Maybe she is not in sync.
Interesting. I will have to educate myself about this. I remember something about cabin noise cancelation but I assumed this was something to do with the speakers. I never would have guessed there's some strange counter-wiggle jigglebox mounted on the truck somewhere.

DRAGRAM

Reaction score
Interesting. I will have to educate myself about this. I remember something about cabin noise cancelation but I assumed this was something to do with the speakers. I never would have guessed there's some strange counter-wiggle jigglebox mounted on the truck somewhere.
There was just a thread on this. He damaged it off roading. It's bolted to the frame rail along side and underneath the truck. It may not emit sound so much as a cancelling vibration during MDS operation I think.

Squatch

Reaction score
2021 6.4 hemi, I've had it a few weeks now. When I drive without the radio on I find myself at many points of my drive thinking there is someone hiding in my blind spot. When I try, I can't totally put a finger on what is fooling my senses, but I think I am getting a hint every once in a while of a 2nd exhaust sound on top of the normal one. I think I hear the sound (kinda like a big touring bike with factory exhaust) coming from the general direction of where my tailpipe is, and make a subconscious record of someone entering my blind spot, and then I never get audio/visual cues that they left.

Are there some extra chords in the exhaust song from that weird extra muffler? Or is the MDS maybe doing something to effect the sound? Or am I just defective?
I bet it is the MDS, I really noticed it once I put the Borla exhaust on it, going out of MDS it gives a grunt.

Users who are viewing this thread