Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much oil and poor dealer help

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I also have a 22 and my truck always fills the dpf faster in the summer once the temps warm from the winter. I’ll go all winter with the gauge barely moving off 0. Now that it’s stopped snowing and is warm I go 200 to 300 miles between regens. In the winter it’s only at 24 hours.
Glad to know it’s not just my truck then. But that still doesn’t sound like proper operation to me.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Lo and behold, the first morning with a temperature under 50°F and we have passive regeneration. 32 miles at 75mph and the gauge dropped 12.5%.

Started out:IMG_6468.jpeg
When I arrived at work:IMG_6466.jpeg

That’s the first reduction in soot load I’ve seen in weeks, and the only variable that’s different is the ambient air temp. (And potentially the humidity)

Dinky503

Reaction score
I also have a 22 and my truck always fills the dpf faster in the summer once the temps warm from the winter. I’ll go all winter with the gauge barely moving off 0. Now that it’s stopped snowing and is warm I go 200 to 300 miles between regens. In the winter it’s only at 24 hours.

Is it just for a few cycles or the whole time?

CaptainMike

Reaction score
I sincerely believe it has to do with the weather changing to spring / summer. The truck did this exact same thing last year around this time.
I had an interesting event last week that might support that theory. I was travelling up the Sacramento Valley a week ago Sunday and the ambient temps were in the upper 70's/low 80's. As I transitioned out of the valley floor and into higher altitudes the temperature began dropping rapidly due to winter's last gasp of a snow storm. Just before I hit my 24 hr regen I got a "Service DEF System" message. A few minutes later I got the "Service DEF" 150 mile countdown to limp mode message. The truck regen'd normally and I made the last 30 miles home with no problems. The DEF tank was 50% when this happened. I topped it up the next morning and started for the dealership. In about 45 minutes of travel time the Service DEF message disappeared and there were no codes or messages on my vLinker. I called my dealer mechanic and he said that sounded about right and to continue on my merry way. A few days later I had my first non-24 hr regen since the DPF was replaced over a month ago. I hope the honeymoon's not over, but it probably is.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Lo and behold, the first morning with a temperature under 50°F and we have passive regeneration. 32 miles at 75mph and the gauge dropped 12.5%.

Started out:View attachment 72783
When I arrived at work:View attachment 72784

That’s the first reduction in soot load I’ve seen in weeks, and the only variable that’s different is the ambient air temp. (And potentially the humidity)

Look up on your weather app get the barometric pressure. Compare that to what it is normal and or stable?

tchur1

Reaction score
Glad to know it’s not just my truck then. But that still doesn’t sound like proper operation to me.
Definitely not - mine did the exact same thing last summer as well.
Is it just for a few cycles or the whole time?
No - its all summer. It did the same thing last summer. It will run perfectly (even when just running around town) all winter but the minute it warms up it starts sooting up much quicker and regens every 200-300 miles.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I had an interesting event last week that might support that theory. I was travelling up the Sacramento Valley a week ago Sunday and the ambient temps were in the upper 70's/low 80's. As I transitioned out of the valley floor and into higher altitudes the temperature began dropping rapidly due to winter's last gasp of a snow storm. Just before I hit my 24 hr regen I got a "Service DEF System" message. A few minutes later I got the "Service DEF" 150 mile countdown to limp mode message. The truck regen'd normally and I made the last 30 miles home with no problems. The DEF tank was 50% when this happened. I topped it up the next morning and started for the dealership. In about 45 minutes of travel time the Service DEF message disappeared and there were no codes or messages on my vLinker. I called my dealer mechanic and he said that sounded about right and to continue on my merry way. A few days later I had my first non-24 hr regen since the DPF was replaced over a month ago. I hope the honeymoon's not over, but it probably is.

No correlation between the “Service DEF” warning and the regen, they are two independent emissions systems.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
No correlation between the “Service DEF” warning and the regen, they are two independent emissions systems.
Yes, I know that. My comment is in regard to changes in temp, altitude, and/or seasons having some effect or another on the emissions sensors/systems. Pretty much all 3 applied to my phantom 'Service DEF System' message that miraculously corrected itself. I wish that gawdamm regen problem with correct itself as well.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Could it be they change the fuel from winter to summer blend?
They definitely do that here in PA but I can’t imagine the winter fuel being “hotter” than the summer fuel. Not sure what chemical they use for anti gel or what impact that would have on combustion. Based on what my truck did this morning, I truly think it’s a temperature / humidity / barometric pressure thing.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
They definitely do that here in PA but I can’t imagine the winter fuel being “hotter” than the summer fuel. Not sure what chemical they use for anti gel or what impact that would have on combustion. Based on what my truck did this morning, I truly think it’s a temperature / humidity / barometric pressure thing.

If cetane is higher than can lead to a more efficient burn, especially under low load conditions. Just a theory that we've talked about before, but I still need to test it.

Dinky503

Reaction score
any updates? get a new truck yet?

I stopped by the dealership yesterday Nothing new really. They have pulled computer information and live information but nothing else done. Dealership requested a special on-site tech this time. I am guessing this will be another 14 weeks...

DOJ sent Ram my complaint....so maybe that will get the ball rolling better.

AZCummins

Reaction score
It kind of gives me hope that the hydraulic lifters are not as fragile as I feared considering yours are still functioning at such high fuel dilution. I am sure they are noisy as hell and the cam looks awful, but its shes still spinning!

Dinky503

Reaction score
It kind of gives me hope that the hydraulic lifters are not as fragile as I feared considering yours are still functioning at such high fuel dilution. I am sure they are noisy as hell and the cam looks awful, but its shes still spinning!

Yeah they are holding up. Rocker arms and push rods changed though, and if those were bad everything will follow.

Users who are viewing this thread