Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To power wagon or not...

zimm

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a RAM2500 and really trying to decide is I should get a PW or not. I already have a built Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and that is my real off-road rig. The PW will be for driving around town, handle light off road, snow, towing trailers, going camping plus other truck stuff. I might even use it to tow the Jeep to places like Moab and camp out of the bed. It's always stressful worrying about breaking the Jeep and then getting it home when far away.

If I got a non PW, I'm still going to run on 35's, just because that's what looks the best. I know I don't "need" it, but I always like to have everything and there's just no way to add lockers and disconnect later without spending a bunch of money. The only real hang up for me is the lower cargo capacity- I mean it's probably lower than my last F150 (1750lbs). A family of 4, big dog, camping gear, and a camping trailer might blow through that.

Bigdodge

Reaction score
I would do it. All you will need is an air bag set-up and it will tow all you need it to. What if the Jeep breaks and you can't drive it up on the trailer? Good thing you have a winch to pull it up on the trailer!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

jadmt

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a RAM2500 and really trying to decide is I should get a PW or not. I already have a built Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and that is my real off-road rig. The PW will be for driving around town, handle light off road, snow, towing trailers, going camping plus other truck stuff. I might even use it to tow the Jeep to places like Moab and camp out of the bed. It's always stressful worrying about breaking the Jeep and then getting it home when far away.

If I got a non PW, I'm still going to run on 35's, just because that's what looks the best. I know I don't "need" it, but I always like to have everything and there's just no way to add lockers and disconnect later without spending a bunch of money. The only real hang up for me is the lower cargo capacity- I mean it's probably lower than my last F150 (1750lbs). A family of 4, big dog, camping gear, and a camping trailer might blow through that.
no new PW has close to 1750lb payload. I have one that has one of the higher payloads because it is a low life level 1 and it is still only 1565lbs. That said they are more capable then the numbers would imply. I have had mine over gvwr and never felt any different than empty. I have been to Moab many times in the jeep and once in the PW and there are a lot of cool trails you can do in the PW and still carry all your stuff. I did a 220 mile road trip yesterday and drove the speed limits and was at 15mpg. Lots of cool places you can go in the truck. FC8A14A6-5324-4AF4-AFCB-9007DB9E2B64.jpeg09B4DAF2-CB07-4FCA-A364-77A83BAEC212.jpeg

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
PW for the win.
Did a road trip with the bed loaded and heavy trailer tow. Back end was sagging. But it didn't matter. Pulled the trailer half way down the Baja peninsula up steep hills like it wasn't even there.
20211117_090605.jpg

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Flat tow the jeep, maybe...not on a car hauler, would see some serious sag.
I wouldn't air bag a PW myself though, roll out all the time "overloaded". Adding bags doesn't increase the real rating, for what that is worth.
I really overloaded the Raptor without a care and it was far squattier than the PW. If towing that jeep a lot, would get a real 3/4 ton and not mess with the suspension.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
PW for the win.
Did a road trip with the bed loaded and heavy trailer tow. Back end was sagging. But it didn't matter. Pulled the trailer half way down the Baja peninsula up steep hills like it wasn't even there.
View attachment 34966
How heavy is the trailer it seems pretty small but looks can be deceiving weight wise

UglyViking

Reaction score
[…] I did a 220 mile road trip yesterday and drove the speed limits and was at 15mpg. […]
Come on now, everyone knows the PW doesn't go above 11mpg ;)

OP, Power wagons are dope. The history of them, the stock suspension, the disconnecting swaybar, the articulink radius arms, etc. That said, it sounds like this is more an around town vehicle, and a little towing and some light stuff. You're going to be losing "legal payload" (if that matters) and paying for a lot of goodies you won't be using. If it were me, I'd think about going with a standard 2500 and then using the cash saved for a Thuren or Carli suspension system. You maintain your "legal payload", the ride softens up more than the power wagon and you're good to go. If you want the PW though, just send it! Unless you're carrying a slide in camper I really don't see any issue.

jadmt

Reaction score
Come on now, everyone knows the PW doesn't go above 11mpg ;)

OP, Power wagons are dope. The history of them, the stock suspension, the disconnecting swaybar, the articulink radius arms, etc. That said, it sounds like this is more an around town vehicle, and a little towing and some light stuff. You're going to be losing "legal payload" (if that matters) and paying for a lot of goodies you won't be using. If it were me, I'd think about going with a standard 2500 and then using the cash saved for a Thuren or Carli suspension system. You maintain your "legal payload", the ride softens up more than the power wagon and you're good to go. If you want the PW though, just send it! Unless you're carrying a slide in camper I really don't see any issue.
true I forget lol. Sometimes I think mine must be broken or something...because I am not getting the entire Power Wagon experience of lousy mpg...I have thought of taking it to the dealer and complaining but they would just say "sorry can't replicate the problem"......

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
How heavy is the trailer it seems pretty small but looks can be deceiving weight wise
Empty is 5K lbs. Loaded like it is, around 7500. And I know there was a lot of weight in the bed as well. Full ice chest, bags, more pit gear, etc. back end was sagging when it was full of gas. But it handled like it does when empty. Factory trailer brakes worked great. Trailer has a electric over hydraulic set up and basically '06 Ford F350 axle, brakes and wheels on it. Climbed like a 8% grade at 70 MPH with no issues. Could hardly tell the trailer was back there.

With 35's on mine at 42/35 PSI, she rides really smooth. I bumped it up to 50/50 for the tow. Best I've seen on the lie o meter is 16 MPG but that was in slow 45 MPH traffic for about 75 miles. Usually its around 13 to 14 and doesn't seem to get any worse if I go faster than 75 mph. Guess if i rode around at 65 or less, I'd get better mileage, but what's the fun in that?

jadmt

Reaction score
Empty is 5K lbs. Loaded like it is, around 7500. And I know there was a lot of weight in the bed as well. Full ice chest, bags, more pit gear, etc. back end was sagging when it was full of gas. But it handled like it does when empty. Factory trailer brakes worked great. Trailer has a electric over hydraulic set up and basically '06 Ford F350 axle, brakes and wheels on it. Climbed like a 8% grade at 70 MPH with no issues. Could hardly tell the trailer was back there.

With 35's on mine at 42/35 PSI, she rides really smooth. I bumped it up to 50/50 for the tow. Best I've seen on the lie o meter is 16 MPG but that was in slow 45 MPH traffic for about 75 miles. Usually its around 13 to 14 and doesn't seem to get any worse if I go faster than 75 mph. Guess if i rode around at 65 or less, I'd get better mileage, but what's the fun in that?
it is funny I was born and raised in Montana so growing up we had no speed limit and then the 55 mph came and the fine was $5 (yes that is correct) for speeding on the interstate and secondary state roads, then it got repealed and again we had no speed limit for quite a while and then it went to reasonable and prudent which was kind of arbitrary at best. and now 80mph on most of the interstates which of course means anything under 90mph you are pretty safe. I have driven way too fast over the years. first time I drove over 100mph I was 14 and have seen over 160 indicated on the speedometer (Honda XX) and over 140 (multiple bikes) more times than I can count all on public roads that were deer and rock infested, stupid yes, fun maybe at the time lol..I find now I enjoy going a little slower and find about 65-70 feels so nice in the PW.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
it is funny I was born and raised in Montana so growing up we had no speed limit and then the 55 mph came and the fine was $5 (yes that is correct) for speeding on the interstate and secondary state roads, then it got repealed and again we had no speed limit for quite a while and then it went to reasonable and prudent which was kind of arbitrary at best. and now 80mph on most of the interstates which of course means anything under 90mph you are pretty safe. I have driven way too fast over the years. first time I drove over 100mph I was 14 and have seen over 160 indicated on the speedometer (Honda XX) and over 140 (multiple bikes) more times than I can count all on public roads that were deer and rock infested, stupid yes, fun maybe at the time lol..I find now I enjoy going a little slower and find about 65-70 feels so nice in the PW.
I wish we had that kinda speed limits but here its mostly 50 mph with the occasional highway at 55 or 60 mph

Users who are viewing this thread